Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes
I got a puppy for my birthday. He's a Chihuahua and gets very cold but I didn't want to spend that kind of money to buy dog clothes, so I went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of baby clothes and turned the legs, arms, and torso of the baby clothes into doggy shirts, pj's, hoodies, and a pup pouch.

The pup pouch is so that I can zip him (it's actually a bag with a hood on it) to keep him warm but allowing me to carry him around outside without having to wrap him up in my coat and getting covered in little black dog hairs. These are the first things I've sewn in a very long time! Please let me know what can I do differently? Thanks!

Marisa from Santa Maria, California

Answers:

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

I made a nightgown for Ginger out of a leg of a flannel pair of pajamas. She just loves her new pink nightgown. (03/24/2008)

By Mallory Marie

RE: Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Those are very cute, you did a nice job. I have two Chis and they love their fleece. I have made them coats out of it and they have tons of fleece blankets all over the house. We live in a cold climate (SD) so they have heating pads in their beds, which I leave on low ALL WINTER. If there is a spot of sun....they find it. Mine are adults and very small, about 4 pounds each. (03/24/2008)

By PrairieLady

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

I'm very impressed! (03/25/2008)

By cookwie

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Aww, that's so adorable! My boy David is about 20 pounds so he fits into baby clothes. Here is a pic of him and his dad in their flannels. The sleeves even fit him just right! (03/26/2008)

By Lily 59

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

And here is Mr. David in his Chicago Bulls coat. These came right from the local Goodwill store! (03/26/2008)

By Lily 59

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

Adorable, great job! I have done this for a long time, buying cute baby clothes for my tiny Yorkie. I used to get the cute Christmas kitchen towels adding Velcro to make him quick coats. With my shih/poo I do the same thing. I buy infant clothes and adjust to his size, though the 3 month vests fit him perfect and I prefer the sweater type. I did find a lot of cute fuzzy fleece vests and they have buttons. So cute. I think your doggy is precious and quite the model! If you run into sizing problems Velcro is a quick fix and easy.

Your idea is great and lots will learn. I always cut arms off old sweaters for my doggy. I just got some cute sweaters for dogs on clearance at a pet store. We just go to visit. Have fun and enjoy your fur baby. (03/26/2008)

By meoowmom

Making Dog Clothes Out Of Baby Clothes

You know what's funny? My sister always thought it might be cruel to put clothes on dogs, until she figured out that her little dog actually LIKES to get dressed up! What happens is: Whenever my sister gets the box with the dog clothes out of her closet, her dog starts jumping up and down. And when my sister picks out what the dog will wear that day, the dog takes it in her mouth and runs around the house with it, then brings it back for her to put it on. My-Oh-My! The dog actually LIKES to get dressed up! Surprise, surprise! (04/02/2008)

By Cyinda

A homemade dog coat.
Making a Dog Coat
Best Detergent for Washing Baby Clothes
Best Detergent for Washing Baby Clothes
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄