Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Flavored Coffee

1 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Making Flavored Coffee

Make your own flavored coffee at home for a special treat and an inexpensive alternative to the coffee shop. This is a guide about making flavored coffee.

Solutions: Making Flavored Coffee

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Add Pumpkin Pie Spice to Coffee Grounds

I love the Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee that is sold at this time of the year. But, drinking too many of them can really put a hole in my pocket!

So I made my own! When I brew coffee, I added a teaspoon ( or more) of Pumpkin Pie Spice to the coffee grounds! Turned out pretty good. Not quite the same, but close enough. And there was a whole pot of brewed pumpkin spice coffee for nearly next to nothing. I already had the spice in my cabinet, and was going to brew coffee anyway.

Your taste may require more spice than I did. Enjoy.

By Barb from East Tennessee

Tip: Spiced Coffee

If you want just a little bit of a change to your morning cup of coffee, just sprinkle about a quarter teaspoon of "pumpkin pie spice" on top of the coffee in the basket and let it brew. It's yummy and also smells good. :-)

By

Recipe: Syrup for Flavoring Coffee

Make your own coffee flavoring syrups at home in any flavor you want (within reason - bacon flavor might not be a good choice in your coffee).

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1-2 tsp. flavoring of your choice*
  • Directions:

Put water and sugar in a kettle. Heat to boiling over medium high heat on your range top. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cover with a lid for 1-2 minutes (this washes sugar crystals off of the side of the pan and will cut down on crystallization). Stir in your flavoring, a teaspoon at first and add a little more at a time until it is as strong as you desire. Cool and put in a cute bottle or even vinegar carafe. Use this in your coffee to give it that coffee house flavoring. Yum.

It would be a good idea to store this in the refrigerator if you are not going to consume it all in one day - which you might, because it is so easy to make and so good that you will want to call all of your friends together to sample your genius cooking skills.

Sometimes I have to add up to a tablespoon of flavoring, depending on its strength. For super concentrated flavorings like Lorann, use only 1/8 teaspoon or a few drops at a time and taste after each addition.

*Vanilla and caramel flavoring are nice together. Rum and butter flavoring would be good too. So would almond and chocolate. Cinnamon and vanilla, raspberry and chocolate. Use what you have and get creative.

Servings: about 16
    Prep Time: 5 Minutes
    Cooking Time: 10 Minutes

Source: Just kind of figured this out after reading the ingredients on an expensive bottle of syrup.

By Patty from Darrington, WA

Tip: Flavored Coffee Tips

For a different coffee flavor, use candy flavoring oils. Just take your favorite flavoring oil and add it to the dry coffee grounds when you make a fresh pot of coffee. Only use one or two drops, because oils are strong. I like Irish Cream best. Just add cream or whipped cream, along with desired sweetener. No need to buy expensive flavored coffees, just use your candy flavoring!

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Tip: A Twist for Your Morning Coffee

For another twist to your morning coffee, try adding small pieces of fresh orange rind and even add a bit of cocoa. It's a traditional flavor mix and a freebie if you have oranges every morning the way I do!

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

Tip: Make a "Special" Blend from Leftover Flavored Coffee

Love flavoured coffees but always have a few beans or grounds left at the end of the bag? Don't throw them out! Store the tablespoon or so in a container with a lid. After a while, you will have enough for a pot. It doesn't even have to be the same flavours, at our home we call this "Suzy's Special Blend" because all the coffee flavours make such a fantastic blend that can not be replicated. You can add regular coffee in the same manner, it is all coffee and it really turns out great.

Source: My super fantastic sister-in-law/sister from another Mister, Susan

By Shauna from Devon, AB

Tip: Cinnamon Sugar For Coffee

Instead of expensive flavoring for coffee, I bought a bottle of cinnamon sugar and sprinkle to taste in a cup of coffee. I also add different flavored extracts (rum, coconut, vanilla) to my coffee.

By Deborah from Lafayette, LA

Recipe: Coffee Mixes Using Ground Coffee

Chocolate-Almond Coffee

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup ground coffee
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. chocolate extract
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped

Directions

Place coffee and nutmeg in a blender or food processor. With processor running, add extracts. Stop processor and scrape sides of container with a spatula. Process 10 seconds longer. Place mix in a bowl and stir in almonds. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container. To Serve: Place the entire amount of mix into filter of an automatic drip coffee maker; add 6 cups water and brew.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Chocolate-Mint Coffee

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup ground coffee
  • 1 tsp. chocolate extract
  • 1/2 tsp. mint extract
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

Place coffee in a blender or food processor. With processor running, add extracts. Stop processor and scrape sides of container with a spatula. Process 10 seconds longer. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container. To Serve: Place the entire amount of mix into filter of an automatic drip coffee maker; add 6 cups water and brew.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Orange-Cinnamon Coffee

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup ground coffee
  • 1 T grated orange peel
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • About 5 to 6 inches of cinnamon sticks

Directions

Place coffee and orange peel in a blender or food processor. With processor running, add vanilla. Stop processor and scrape sides of container with a spatula. Process 10 seconds longer. Place mix in a bowl and stir in cinnamon sticks. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Buttered Rum Coffee

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup ground coffee (not instant)
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1-1/4 tsp. rum extract
  • 1/8 tsp. liquid butter flavoring

Directions

Place coffee and nutmeg in a blender or food processor. With processor running, add rum extract and butter flavoring. Stop processor and scrape sides of container with a spatula. Process 10 seconds longer. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container. To Serve: Place the entire amount of mix into filter of an automatic drip coffee maker; add 6 cups water and brew.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Share By IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

From: http://www.heart4home.net/

Thanks to Leslie for permission to print!

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Making Flavored Coffee.

Question: Homemade Flavored Coffee

I need some simple quick recipes for flavored coffee? I am not wanting the flavored instant stuff they sell, but real coffee.

By Randa

Most Recent Answer

By proudgranny0811/14/2010

For French Vanilla flavored coffee I mix coffee creamer with instant French Vanilla pudding mix. You can use the sugar free,fat free kind. Experiment with the amount of puddding mix to the creamer and adjust it to your taste. I make some as Christmas gifts. This way there is no oily residue in your coffee.

Question: Making a Wendy's Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty

How Do you make a Wendy's Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty?

By TaniPaigi from Deltona, FL

Most Recent Answer

By LizO08/06/2009

One word...okay three: Ben and Jerry's.

Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath® Bar Crunch. Dump some in a blender, add milk to your desired consistency, enjoy.

Ounce per ounce B & J's isn't cheap but then you aren't saddled with ingredients like a coffee syrup (you can find in many grocery stores) you will only use a few times. It serves double duty - as is or as a shake.

If that's not an option, vanilla ice cream, coffee syrup (or very chilled espresso), milk and chopped up Heath or Skor toffee bars...in a blender.

I love this stuff. As pictured - I had it on my patio for breakfast last summer. Dang, I would love some right now.

Question: How Do You Flavor Regular Ground Coffee

I love flavored coffee and was wondering if anyone had an inexpensive way to flavor just regular ground coffee. I know you can add cinnamon but I don't know how much to add or if you can add other stuff. So if you know please let me know, I would be ever so grateful.

By Soulegal from Three Rivers, MI

Most Recent Answer

By Cecile 'Sasha' Colwell K.12/07/2013

After putting ground coffee into the basket, I add 1/4 t. cocoa powder per cup of coffee I'm brewing and lightly mix it in. The cocoa enhances the coffee flavor without making it overly chocolate-tasting. You might find you prefer a little more or less cocoa if you add sugar or sweetener.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Flavored Coffee

Make your own flavored coffee! Simply add whatever extract you prefer to the pot prior to brewing. You can even add a bit of sugar to the filter with the grounds, or perhaps cocoa. Experiment and see what works for you. If you normally drink your coffee black, you might find that you prefer a bit of creamer and sweetener if you are going to flavor it. I enjoy a bit of vanilla extract in mine.

By Leann D

Saving on Flavored Coffee

Flavored coffee is expensive, so I buy extracts: vanilla, rum, coconut, orange, etc. I add a half a teaspoon to my coffee and it's flavored. I also use cremora with my coffee, you need to add something sweet or else it's a little bitter. Save money doing this.

By annette (02/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Homemade Flavored Coffee

I buy flavored coffee for drip coffeemakers (hazelnut, vanilla). When measuring the coffee to make a pot, substitute about 1/3 to 1/2 of the flavored coffee in place of the regular/decaf. (ex: 1 scoop = use 1/3 scoop flavored & 2/3 scoop regular). Or measure w/ TBSP. Adjust for preference. The flavor is just strong enough, not bitter, no alcohol taste. I found we didn't care for full strength flavored anyway. Also found it tastes okay black. It's cheaper than the extracts, creamers & liqueurs sold for this. So far I've flavored 15 pots from just 1/2 an 11 oz. can of hazelnut that cost $3.00. We vary the strength of the flavor. (02/20/2005)

Archive: Homemade Flavored Coffee

How can I make really good coffee at home with flavored syrups? I want to discontinue using flavored coffee creamers and have tried the syrups. I can't figure out the ratio and exactly how to make it. I can't afford a home espresso machine. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Seeme

RE: Homemade Flavored Coffee

Buy the flavored syrups in both sugar and carb free version (Splenda) at

davincigourmet.com or

artisancoffeeroasters.com

If you have a local low carb store, these might be in stock there. Also, occasionally the bottles are available at TJ Maxx, The Home Store, and that type of store for a little less. They do not require refrigeration and last for years.

I use the no carb flavors as a base and a bright note. The base being vanilla or coconut and the bright note being amaretto, Irish cream, Kahlua, chocolate, etc. The companies have a lot of flavors and you probably won't know what to pick when you see their internet list. (04/16/2009)

By cookwie

RE: Homemade Flavored Coffee

There are some recipes here: coffeemaven.com (04/19/2009)

By Anonymous

RE: Homemade Flavored Coffee

I just go to spice rack and add; cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, and sometimes even pumpkin pie spice. I just add a few shakes here and there just to give my coffee a perk.

Sometimes when I am craving chocolate I just add some cocoa to my cup before I pour my coffee and it gives it a mocha flavor. I like to try things, good luck. (04/24/2009)

By meoowmom

Archive: Flavored Coffee Recipes

Instead of buying expensive flavored coffees, we buy basic coffee (for the coffee maker) and sprinkle cinnamon on top of the ground coffee before turning on the machine.

By Kay from Tamarac, FL

Flavored Coffee Recipes

(format_html)Put several of these flavored coffee recipes in a gift basket for a wonderful gift for a coffee lover.

Cafe Bavarian Mint Flavored Coffee

• 1/4 cup Powdered Creamer
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
  • 2 Tbsp. Powdered Baking Cocoa
  • 2 hard candy Peppermints
Process in a blender on liquify until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Use by tablespoonfuls according to taste.Spoon in cup and add hot water.

Cafe Cappuccino Flavored Coffee

• 1/4 cup Powdered Creamer
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
  • 1 Orange flavored piece of hard candy
Process in a blender on liquify until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Use by tablespoonfuls according to taste. Spoon in cup and add hot water

Cafe Viennese Flavored Coffee

• 1/4 cup Powered Creamer
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Instant Coffee
  • 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
Process in a blender on liquify until well blended. Store in an air tight container. Use by tablespoonfuls according to taste. Spoon in cup and add hot water. (06/05/2006)

By

Archive: Homemade Flavored Coffee

How do you make flavored coffee? Like Hazelnut, Vanilla, etc.

By cajunangel from Shreveport, LA

RE: Homemade Flavored Coffee

Here are a few I have made and tried! On how to spice up standard old instant coffee. Combine a teaspoon or two of the mixes below with a mug of hot water and enjoy your very own flavored coffees:

Bavarian Mint Coffee

• 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. dried mint leaves
  • 2/3 cup non-dairy creamer
Cafe L'Orange
  • 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. crushed dried orange peel
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Cinnamon and Spice Coffee
  • 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice
Brown Sugar Delight
  • 1 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup non-dairy creamer
  • 1 cup brown sugar
Swiss Mocha
  • 1 cup instant coffee
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups nonfat dry milk
  • 4 tsp. cocoa powder
Cafe Mocha
  • 2/3 cup instant coffee
  • 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup non-dairy creamer
  • 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
All of the above mixes can be premixed and stored indefinitely. (10/20/2009)

By Diva53d

Archive: Homemade Flavored Coffee

Instead of buying flavored creamers, which are really expensive whether fluid or powdered, use a drop or two of almond, amaretto, hazelnut, orange, or vanilla extract or any other flavor your heart might desire to your regular creamed coffee and tea.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

RE: Homemade Flavored Coffee

I also sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on mine and always a pinch of salt, helps take out the bitter! (06/09/2010)

By michawnpita