Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Hamburgers

Look no further for tips for making and seasoning your own homemade hamburger patties. This is a guide about making hamburgers.

March 19, 2015 Flag

My son showed me how to keep my ground beef patties from swelling up like pillows. I am really old and didn't know this. I hope I am not the only one. When he cooks hamburgers he puts a thumb hole in the patty and it won't swell up. You don't have to keep smushing it down when it puffs up and this preserves the nice juices and you won't have dry burgers. It closes as it cooks so your burgers don't look like donuts when they are done.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 29, 2009 Flag

When forming burgers, I use a hamburger press. I would then flatten the burgers with my hands to make them thinner. This way when cooked on the grill, they don't get too thick. If the burgers are formed thin, they will be almost like the fast food restaurant burgers, depending on the type of ground beef that is used. If someone likes a thicker burger, they can put two burgers on their bun.

Using my hands to flatten the burgers took a lot of time and a bit messy. I now put the formed burgers on a wax paper lined jelly-roll pan, leaving space between each one. I cover the burgers with wax paper and take another jelly-roll pan and press all the burgers at once. This is so much faster than pressing them out individually. I use a wide pancake turner to move them. Any leftover burger patties, I cover the burgers with plastic wrap or foil and leave in the freezer for a few hours until they harden. If they don't all fit in one layer, use wax paper or plastic wrap in between the burgers to form layers. I remove them and place in a freezer bag.

Another idea that I haven't tried is to put separate mounds of ground beef on the pans and then press. This would eliminate the need to using the burger press altogether.

By mkymlp from PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Now you tell me! LOL.This is by far the best time saver I've read in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

When I freeze my own hamburger patties, I cut pieces of freezer paper into squares a little bit bigger than the patties. I put two pieces of the paper between each patty, slick side towards the patties. When I go to use the frozen patties, they don't stick together because of the freezer paper.

Almost every kitchen has one of those "old timey" potato mashers which Gramma used in the days before instant mashed or electric mixers. I still have mine and a few years ago, I broke the handle off yet another hamburger flipper.

I like this beefy mushroom hamburger recipe because it is easy and so tasty.

I raised four children, along with lots of friends and cousins, nieces and nephews. We always ate plenty of ground beef, and they all loved hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

If you need to make a good burger in a hurry, mix the meat with a bit of mild salsa. The onions, peppers, and tomatoes will add a bit of zest.

When making meatloaf or hamburger patties, add chopped vegetables and oatmeal or bran for fiber! If you make your own veggie juices at home as I do, use the leftover pulp.

When forming hamburger patties, leave the middle thinner or even put a hole in the middle (like a donut). When they cook, the middle will fill in and the thickness will be the same all around.

Cut the cooking time for hamburgers in half by making several holes in the center of each patty. The inside cooks more quickly.

I just didn't have time to fry hamburgers one day. I decided to make hamburgers in a hurry. I mixed ground beef, chopped onions, some seasonings, yellow mustard and ketchup.

First, cut small squares out of wax paper to set you hamburger patties on. Then form patties, no more than one inch thick and set them on a piece of wax paper and place them on a cookie sheet.

Adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise to your ground beef before patting out hamburgers keeps them juicy on the grill. This prevents them from drying out.

Cheeseburger and onion lovers: If you are tired of your onions falling in your lap, this is how you hold them down. Place a piece of cheese on the hamburger, then onions, then another piece of cheese and let it melt.

Ever try a cheeseburger from the Fatted Calf? This will duplicate it and make it even better! Make sure you use a fresh egg bun and here is the secret: Use Wispride Port Wine cheese as the cheese for it. Heavenly!

If you cook them partially frozen, they come moist and juicy inside. I just did this and made 2 hamburgers for my sister and me. She said it was the best hamburger she ever had.

Use the thin plastic that bacon comes on, wash it with hot soapy water to clean it up good. Cut it in half and use to pat hamburger patties on and then freeze.

May 1, 2009 Flag

Does anybody know of a good hamburger seasoning? I raise beef cattle for a living and haven't found a good seasoning to mix in when I make my ground beef patties. Help is really appreciated! Thanks.

By Miah from Minooka, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like to keep it simple, enhancing the flavor of the beef. salt, fresh ground black pepper, and a dash of garlic powder or onion powder.

March 31, 2011 Flag

In Cricket's recipe hint she mentioned making hamburgers in a press; what is this like? I do enjoy Thrifty fun. It helps to show that we sometimes do things differently, but basically we are the same the world over.

Kind regards.

By Jean from Maffra Gippsland, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A hamburger press is an apparatus that presses uncooked ground meat into a pattie. Your patties will be exactly the same thickness and the same diameter.

A hamburger press is a round kind of a container, only you don't store things in it. It is no more than an inch tall and the size is about the size of a hamburger patty. You put some raw hamburger in it and put another flat piece on top and use that to flatten the hamburger into a patty shape.

August 24, 2010 Flag

What are the procedures for making a burger?

By Fritz from Davaoi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2010 Flag

When making meatloaf, I always add fresh cut up vegetables; spinach, broccoli, peas, onions. This makes for a special treat!

By Marilyn Wons from Destin, Fl

Answers:

Adding Veggies to the Meatloaf

I use to add a raw carrot to my meatloaf mix. When you are serving it, each slice has an orange circle in it. This worked well when I was trying to get my kids to eat meatloaf! (03/16/2006)

By Carol

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2010 Flag

When cooking hamburgers, whether on the grill or frying, never 'smash' the hamburger. Most people believe that removes grease from the hamburger, but that is not so. The grease melts and cooks out of the burgers with the heat from cooking, so what you are actually 'smashing out' is the natural juices, which makes for a dry hamburger.

By Fortunately

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 25, 2009 Flag

Tips and recipes for making great hamburgers. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Extra Juicy Hamburgers

For extra juicy hamburgers, add 1/4 cup of evaporated milk per pound of meat before shaping.

(01/20/2005)

By Chell

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I like to add Worcestershire sauce to mine! :) (01/20/2005)

By kimmcg

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I have added Lipton's dry onion soup mix along with a a little Worcestershire sauce. (01/20/2005)

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Also great if you add dry ranch powder mix to it. (01/21/2005)

By pookster

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Some of the best hamburgers that I have ever had had Miracle Whip mixed into the hamburger (01/25/2005)

By Toni

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Add 1/3 cup each chopped onion and bell pepper with 1-2 T. whole milk to 1 lb ground meat. Shape into 4 patties and fry in iron skillet with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.Salt and pepper to taste. Top with a thick slice of grilled onion, cheese, lettuce, tomato and pickles. Mustard and mayo if you want on the bun that has been buttered and toasted on both sides in a frying pan, like grilled cheese. (01/26/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I use 1 lb ground hamburger, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, cracked blacked pepper to taste and either diced chives or onion powder. Take 3 Tbsp. butter and melt in microwave and add 1/4 tsp. minced garlic and parsley, mix well with hamburger mixture form patties and cook as you like on grill, stove top or broiler. Always get rave reviews on this one. Good luck, take care of you and those you love. (02/10/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I make the patties, then sprinkle garlic powder, seasoning salt, ground pepper, and chili powder on it (08/18/2005)

By AML

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Worcestershire sauce and onion powder sprinkled on one side, grill, flip, sprinkle seasoned salt on the other. Mmmm! (08/22/2005)

By LizCar

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I think, you should marinate the burger with seasoning.

Q: How many times should I flip the burger to make it the best tasting it can be? (08/08/2007)

By jimbob

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

How do you keep burgers from getting fatter in the middle while cooking? (11/03/2007)

By Dave

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Mushroom and Swiss burgers

Use Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup for the sauce, Swiss cheese. Add these after the burgers are cooked. We love them. You can add more mushrooms if you want. (11/13/2007)

By 4libros

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Spices you like and we always add crushed crackers any kind to hamburger. (01/31/2008)

By smilingfaces88

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Dave, I just watched an Everday Foods episode that demonstrated pushing with your fingertips in the center of each hamburger patty before grilling. When it puffs it'll come level with the rest of the burger. Limit the handling of the meat for the juiciest of burgers. Apply pepper and plenty of salt just before placing on the grill. Turn only once, cook 5-6 minutes on each side. (07/14/2008)

By MeMe

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I make mine with garlic salt, onion powder. Mix well with dales sauce and add little drips of Worcestershire sauce. Then while grilling, I add pepper to both sides. (08/18/2008)

By Brandi

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Great tips people. Don't forget to not smush them down. That that takes the juices out. (12/10/2008)

By Charlotte

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 18, 2009 Flag

When making hamburger patties at home, try adding some chopped bell pepper and onion with a tablespoon or two of milk. Mix altogether and fry or BBQ. Makes a tasty juicy burger.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Answers:

Making Better Hamburger Patties

Also good if you add a package of instant onion soup mix to 1 pound of hamburger.(04/26/2006)

By IMAQT1962

Making Better Hamburger Patties

To be sure hamburgers are cooked through, I make a hole in the middle on both sides with my finger before cooking so the middle cooks along with the rest. (04/26/2006)

By Dotty

Making Better Hamburger Patties

I also add some feta cheese to the patty, makes it even better (04/27/2006)

By Scaryone

Making Better Hamburger Patties

You can add many tasty things to home made hamburger patties. The other members' ideas are tasty. Salsa is good if you like that flavor, or BBQ sauce, ketchup/mustard or tomato sauce mixed in. All will help keep burgers moist. Try chopped canned mushrooms. Shredded cheeses. Or for something different, experiment. "Think outside the box". For example, finely chopped canned pineapple or something else that might be served with beef on kabobs will give a unique flavor. (04/27/2006)

By kidsNclutter

Making Better Hamburger Patties

Ok I know I am gonna spell this wrong, lol, but I'll try it like it sounds. I add a little Worcestershire sauce to mine. I also add fresh garlic and onions chopped up very fine. (04/27/2006)

By katieandjeffy

Making Better Hamburger Patties

We buy a product called "liquid smoke". Add it to your raw hamburger, mixing it in well and then cook. It gives it a good flavor. You can find it near the ketchup and stuff at the grocery store. (04/28/2006)

By peggygv

Keeping patty together

How do you get the patty to not fall apart during grilling? (07/20/2006)

By Helen

re:burgers falling apart

I always add 1 egg for every pound of beef to keep the burgers from falling apart while grilling. (07/22/2007)

By Cindy J.

Making Better Hamburger Patties

I like burgers! I add sauce to mine. (01/25/2008)

By James

Making Better Hamburger Patties

Also great if you take some well chopped up pepperon,i not too much, and throw it in with the hamburger. (04/18/2008)

By

Making Better Hamburger Patties

I like doing hamburger patties just like I do meat loaf. I add the bread or crumbled crackers to the raw hamburger, with the spices I like, a lot of time I like garlic and chili powder. Put an egg in and some onion, and sauce. (sauce can be spaghetti sauce or any variety of tomato sauce). Make the "ball" so that it can pass from hand to hand when finished mixing. If it is too juicy add more crumbled crackers, if too dry, add a little more sauce. Then pat out patties. You can also throw in some steak sauce if you don't prefer the chili powder. I love spicy burgers! You can make meat balls in the oven also with this technique, with some sauce over them. So, the basic is for hamburger patties to fry or grill...and for meat loaf, and for meat balls. Yummy, serve with a nice variety of toppings. We love cheese, tomato, lettuce, and onions. (07/10/2008)

By glinda

Making Better Hamburger Patties

I like mixing my hamburger patty with a sauce called (I'm gonna spell it wrong but I think it is) yoshetes? it makes the hamburger more tastier lol

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) Is it Yoshida's? (07/15/2008)

By chan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of buying the ready made hamburger patties at the store which are more expensive than bulk ground beef and have no seasonings, I have started making my own.

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatDecember 28, 2012
Hamburger Sliders
Making Sliders
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Grilling Hamburgers
Grilling Hamburgers
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 8:14:56 PM on 10.0.2.220 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.