Making Hamburgers

Look no further for tips for making and seasoning your own homemade hamburger patties. This is a guide about making hamburgers.

Hamburger with Fries
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 1, 2009 Flag

Does anybody know of a good hamburger seasoning? I raise beef cattle for a living and haven't found a good seasoning to mix in when I make my ground beef patties. Help is really appreciated! Thanks.

By Miah from Minooka, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Worcestershire sauce (just a few shakes from the bottle makes all the difference in the world too), along with garlic powder/onion/salt&pepper.

Read More Answers...

March 19, 2015 Flag

My son showed me how to keep my ground beef patties from swelling up like pillows. I am really old and didn't know this. I hope I am not the only one. When he cooks hamburgers he puts a thumb hole in the patty and it won't swell up. You don't have to keep smushing it down when it puffs up and this preserves the nice juices and you won't have dry burgers. It closes as it cooks so your burgers don't look like donuts when they are done.

cooking a patty with a small hole in the center
    Add Hole To Hamburger Patties

May 29, 2009 Flag

When forming burgers, I use a hamburger press. I would then flatten the burgers with my hands to make them thinner. This way when cooked on the grill, they don't get too thick. If the burgers are formed thin, they will be almost like the fast food restaurant burgers, depending on the type of ground beef that is used. If someone likes a thicker burger, they can put two burgers on their bun.

Using my hands to flatten the burgers took a lot of time and a bit messy. I now put the formed burgers on a wax paper lined jelly-roll pan, leaving space between each one. I cover the burgers with wax paper and take another jelly-roll pan and press all the burgers at once. This is so much faster than pressing them out individually. I use a wide pancake turner to move them. Any leftover burger patties, I cover the burgers with plastic wrap or foil and leave in the freezer for a few hours until they harden. If they don't all fit in one layer, use wax paper or plastic wrap in between the burgers to form layers. I remove them and place in a freezer bag.

Another idea that I haven't tried is to put separate mounds of ground beef on the pans and then press. This would eliminate the need to using the burger press altogether.

By mkymlp from PA

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 18, 2013 Flag

When I freeze my own hamburger patties, I cut pieces of freezer paper into squares a little bit bigger than the patties. I put two pieces of the paper between each patty, slick side towards the patties. When I go to use the frozen patties, they don't stick together because of the freezer paper.

June 23, 2009 Flag

Almost every kitchen has one of those "old timey" potato mashers which Gramma used in the days before instant mashed or electric mixers. I still have mine and a few years ago, I broke the handle off yet another hamburger flipper. It was beginning to happen with alarming regularity.

I got out the potato masher and smushed my hamburgers down and used the edge to flip them over. There is no pressure on the handle since you are pushing straight down. They are just about the right size for a burger.

I use mine for this all the time, and haven't broken a spatula since I started using the potato masher for this purpose.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

June 27, 2006 Flag

First, cut small squares out of wax paper to set you hamburger patties on. Then form patties, no more than one inch thick and set them on a piece of wax paper and place them on a cookie sheet.

June 21, 2011 Flag
    I like this Beefy Mushroom Hamburger recipe because it is easy and tasty.

• 1 lb. hamburger
    • 1 can of Campbell's Beefy Mushroom soup

Directions:

Make hamburger into patties. Cook on a grill or in a skillet. Place burgers in a skillet and add soup. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Servings: 3
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

By Rosie from Dunedin, FL

May 18, 2011 Flag

I raised four children, along with lots of friends and cousins, nieces and nephews. We always ate plenty of ground beef, and they all loved hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

March 23, 2010 Flag

Cut the cooking time for hamburgers in half by making several holes in the center of each patty. The inside cooks more quickly.

March 15, 2010 Flag

I just didn't have time to fry hamburgers one day. I decided to make hamburgers in a hurry. I mixed ground beef, chopped onions, some seasonings, yellow mustard and ketchup.

March 31, 2011 Flag

In Cricket's recipe hint she mentioned making hamburgers in a press; what is this like? I do enjoy Thrifty fun. It helps to show that we sometimes do things differently, but basically we are the same the world over.

Kind regards.

By Jean from Maffra Gippsland, Australia

A hamburger press is a round kind of a container, only you don't store things in it. It is no more than an inch tall and the size is about the size of a hamburger patty. You put some raw hamburger in it and put another flat piece on top and use that to flatten the hamburger into a patty shape.

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2010 Flag

If you need to make a good burger in a hurry, mix the meat with a bit of mild salsa. The onions, peppers, and tomatoes will add a bit of zest.

November 10, 2010 Flag

When making meatloaf or hamburger patties, add chopped vegetables and oatmeal or bran for fiber! If you make your own veggie juices at home as I do, use the leftover pulp.

August 3, 2009 Flag

When forming hamburger patties, leave the middle thinner or even put a hole in the middle (like a donut). When they cook, the middle will fill in and the thickness will be the same all around.

June 18, 2009 Flag

Adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise to your ground beef before patting out hamburgers keeps them juicy on the grill. This prevents them from drying out.

June 26, 2013 Flag

Ever try a cheeseburger from the Fatted Calf? This will duplicate it and make it even better! Make sure you use a fresh egg bun and here is the secret: Use Wispride Port Wine cheese as the cheese for it. Heavenly!

March 5, 2013 Flag

If you cook them partially frozen, they come moist and juicy inside. I just did this and made 2 hamburgers for my sister and me. She said it was the best hamburger she ever had.

May 15, 2007 Flag

Cheeseburger and onion lovers: If you are tired of your onions falling in your lap, this is how you hold them down. Place a piece of cheese on the hamburger, then onions, then another piece of cheese and let it melt.

August 15, 2001 Flag

Use the thin plastic that bacon comes on, wash it with hot soapy water to clean it up good. Cut it in half and use to pat hamburger patties on and then freeze.

November 10, 2010 Flag

When making meatloaf, I always add fresh cut up vegetables; spinach, broccoli, peas, onions. This makes for a special treat!

By Marilyn Wons from Destin, Fl

Answers:

Adding Veggies to the Meatloaf

I use to add a raw carrot to my meatloaf mix. When you are serving it, each slice has an orange circle in it. This worked well when I was trying to get my kids to eat meatloaf! (03/16/2006)

By Carol

August 24, 2010 Flag

When cooking hamburgers, whether on the grill or frying, never 'smash' the hamburger. Most people believe that removes grease from the hamburger, but that is not so. The grease melts and cooks out of the burgers with the heat from cooking, so what you are actually 'smashing out' is the natural juices, which makes for a dry hamburger.

By Fortunately

June 25, 2009 Flag

Tips and recipes for making great hamburgers. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Extra Juicy Hamburgers

For extra juicy hamburgers, add 1/4 cup of evaporated milk per pound of meat before shaping.

(01/20/2005)

By Chell

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I like to add Worcestershire sauce to mine! :) (01/20/2005)

By kimmcg

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I have added Lipton's dry onion soup mix along with a a little Worcestershire sauce. (01/20/2005)

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Also great if you add dry ranch powder mix to it. (01/21/2005)

By pookster

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Some of the best hamburgers that I have ever had had Miracle Whip mixed into the hamburger (01/25/2005)

By Toni

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Add 1/3 cup each chopped onion and bell pepper with 1-2 T. whole milk to 1 lb ground meat. Shape into 4 patties and fry in iron skillet with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.Salt and pepper to taste. Top with a thick slice of grilled onion, cheese, lettuce, tomato and pickles. Mustard and mayo if you want on the bun that has been buttered and toasted on both sides in a frying pan, like grilled cheese. (01/26/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I use 1 lb ground hamburger, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, cracked blacked pepper to taste and either diced chives or onion powder. Take 3 Tbsp. butter and melt in microwave and add 1/4 tsp. minced garlic and parsley, mix well with hamburger mixture form patties and cook as you like on grill, stove top or broiler. Always get rave reviews on this one. Good luck, take care of you and those you love. (02/10/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I make the patties, then sprinkle garlic powder, seasoning salt, ground pepper, and chili powder on it (08/18/2005)

By AML

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Worcestershire sauce and onion powder sprinkled on one side, grill, flip, sprinkle seasoned salt on the other. Mmmm! (08/22/2005)

By LizCar

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I think, you should marinate the burger with seasoning.

Q: How many times should I flip the burger to make it the best tasting it can be? (08/08/2007)

By jimbob

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

How do you keep burgers from getting fatter in the middle while cooking? (11/03/2007)

By Dave

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Mushroom and Swiss burgers

Use Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup for the sauce, Swiss cheese. Add these after the burgers are cooked. We love them. You can add more mushrooms if you want. (11/13/2007)

By 4libros

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Spices you like and we always add crushed crackers any kind to hamburger. (01/31/2008)

By smilingfaces88

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Dave, I just watched an Everday Foods episode that demonstrated pushing with your fingertips in the center of each hamburger patty before grilling. When it puffs it'll come level with the rest of the burger. Limit the handling of the meat for the juiciest of burgers. Apply pepper and plenty of salt just before placing on the grill. Turn only once, cook 5-6 minutes on each side. (07/14/2008)

By MeMe

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I make mine with garlic salt, onion powder. Mix well with dales sauce and add little drips of Worcestershire sauce. Then while grilling, I add pepper to both sides. (08/18/2008)

By Brandi

Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Great tips people. Don't forget to not smush them down. That that takes the juices out. (12/10/2008)

By Charlotte

June 18, 2009 Flag

When making hamburger patties at home, try adding some chopped bell pepper and onion with a tablespoon or two of milk. Mix altogether and fry or BBQ. Makes a tasty juicy burger.

May 29, 2009 Flag

Instead of buying the ready made hamburger patties at the store which are more expensive than bulk ground beef and have no seasonings, I have started making my own.

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatDecember 28, 2012
    Hamburger Sliders
    Making Sliders
    Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
    Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
    Sloppy joes for a large group.
    Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
    Grilling Hamburgers
    Grilling Hamburgers
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 22, 2016 at 10:43:00 PM on 10.0.2.87 in 867 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.