Making Hamburgers

Look no further for tips for making and seasoning your own homemade hamburger patties. This is a guide about making hamburgers.

Hamburger with Fries
Filter Sort

Question: Seasoning Mix for Hamburger Patties

By Jeremiah Finnestad 2

Does anybody know of a good hamburger seasoning? I raise beef cattle for a living and haven't found a good seasoning to mix in when I make my ground beef patties. Help is really appreciated! Thanks.

By Miah from Minooka, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By suz123 2 33 Flag

Worcestershire sauce (just a few shakes from the bottle makes all the difference in the world too), along with garlic powder/onion/salt&pepper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make Your Own Hamburger Patties

By it's.only.me 168 254

When forming burgers, I use a hamburger press. I would then flatten the burgers with my hands to make them thinner. This way when cooked on the grill, they don't get too thick. If the burgers are formed thin, they will be almost like the fast food restaurant burgers, depending on the type of ground beef that is used. If someone likes a thicker burger, they can put two burgers on their bun.

Using my hands to flatten the burgers took a lot of time and a bit messy. I now put the formed burgers on a wax paper lined jelly-roll pan, leaving space between each one. I cover the burgers with wax paper and take another jelly-roll pan and press all the burgers at once. This is so much faster than pressing them out individually. I use a wide pancake turner to move them. Any leftover burger patties, I cover the burgers with plastic wrap or foil and leave in the freezer for a few hours until they harden. If they don't all fit in one layer, use wax paper or plastic wrap in between the burgers to form layers. I remove them and place in a freezer bag.

Another idea that I haven't tried is to put separate mounds of ground beef on the pans and then press. This would eliminate the need to using the burger press altogether.

By mkymlp from PA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Add Hole To Hamburger Patties

By Marty Dick 167 967

My son showed me how to keep my ground beef patties from swelling up like pillows. I am really old and didn't know this. I hope I am not the only one. When he cooks hamburgers he puts a thumb hole in the patty and it won't swell up. You don't have to keep smushing it down when it puffs up and this preserves the nice juices and you won't have dry burgers. It closes as it cooks so your burgers don't look like donuts when they are done.

cooking a patty with a small hole in the center
    Add Hole To Hamburger Patties

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Potato Masher for Hamburgers

By Marty Dick 167 967

Almost every kitchen has one of those "old timey" potato mashers which Gramma used in the days before instant mashed or electric mixers. I still have mine and a few years ago, I broke the handle off yet another hamburger flipper. It was beginning to happen with alarming regularity.

I got out the potato masher and smushed my hamburgers down and used the edge to flip them over. There is no pressure on the handle since you are pushing straight down. They are just about the right size for a burger.

I use mine for this all the time, and haven't broken a spatula since I started using the potato masher for this purpose.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Oven to Cook Hamburgers

By HAPPYINHARNED 14 193

I raised four children, along with lots of friends and cousins, nieces and nephews. We always ate plenty of ground beef, and they all loved hamburgers and cheeseburgers.

To fix a lot in the quickest time (when not using our grill), I shape my burgers, place on aluminum lined jelly roll pan, add Worcestershire sauce, and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes. Do not need to turn. Remove from oven and add cheese. Delicious and easy, but most of all QUICK!

By HAPPYINHARNED from Harned, KY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Freezing Your own Hamburger Patties

By Debby Harbour C. 1 2

When I freeze my own hamburger patties, I cut pieces of freezer paper into squares a little bit bigger than the patties. I put two pieces of the paper between each patty, slick side towards the patties. When I go to use the frozen patties, they don't stick together because of the freezer paper.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Adding Veggies to Meatloaf or Hamburger Patties

By Ivy 13 20

When making meatloaf or hamburger patties, add chopped vegetables and oatmeal or bran for fiber! If you make your own veggie juices at home as I do, use the leftover pulp. Otherwise chop your favorite veggies, coarse or fine. Also add a PINCH of sugar to bring out the flavor and add a beautiful brown crust. Nothing else needed. Great way to get kids to eat their veggies!

By Ivy from Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make Hamburger Patties for the Freezer

First, cut small squares out of wax paper to set you hamburger patties on. Then form patties, no more than one inch thick and set them on a piece of wax paper and place them on a cookie sheet. Next, put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about an hour or until the patties have set. Then stack up the patties, making there is a piece of wax paper between each one, and store in an air tight container or freezer bag.

By Fisher

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: What is a Hamburger Press?

By Jean Heasley 6 17

In Cricket's recipe hint she mentioned making hamburgers in a press; what is this like? I do enjoy Thrifty fun. It helps to show that we sometimes do things differently, but basically we are the same the world over.

Kind regards.

By Jean from Maffra Gippsland, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

A hamburger press is a round kind of a container, only you don't store things in it. It is no more than an inch tall and the size is about the size of a hamburger patty. You put some raw hamburger in it and put another flat piece on top and use that to flatten the hamburger into a patty shape.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Add Salsa to Hamburgers

If you need to make a good burger in a hurry, mix the meat with a bit of mild salsa. The onions, peppers, and tomatoes will add a bit of zest.

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cutting Hamburger Cooking Time

By Sandy 135

Cut the cooking time for hamburgers in half by making several holes in the center of each patty. The inside cooks more quickly.

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Oven to Cook Hamburgers

By Leslie Textor 9 65

I just didn't have time to fry hamburgers one day. I decided to make hamburgers in a hurry. I mixed ground beef, chopped onions, some seasonings, yellow mustard and ketchup. I put in a chicken roaster making sure it was flat and the thickness of a hamburger patty. I baked it at 325 degree F for 30 minutes. When it was done I simply cut it into squares to fit the buns and added the mayonnaise. Voila, instant hamburgers.

Since we like our hamburgers greasy, we used the cheap ground meat, letting it drain for a bit on the pancake turner before we put it on the bun. If you prefer, you could use leaner meat or buffalo.

Source: A rushed day

By Frazzled Leslie from New Orleans, LA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Uniform Hamburger Patties

By Meemaw 57 115

When forming hamburger patties, leave the middle thinner or even put a hole in the middle (like a donut). When they cook, the middle will fill in and the thickness will be the same all around.

By notwrong

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Better Hamburger Patties

By kay 3 2

Adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise to your ground beef before patting out hamburgers keeps them juicy on the grill. This prevents them from drying out.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Onion Cheeseburger Tip

By tracey v 22 2

Cheeseburger and onion lovers: If you are tired of your onions falling in your lap, this is how you hold them down. Place a piece of cheese on the hamburger, then onions, then another piece of cheese and let it melt.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Thrifty Hamburger Pattie Maker

Use the thin plastic that bacon comes on, wash it with hot soapy water to clean it up good. Cut it in half and use to pat hamburger patties on and then freeze.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Ultimate Cheeseburger

By Glenn Davis Doctor G 1

Ever try a cheeseburger from the Fatted Calf? This will duplicate it and make it even better! Make sure you use a fresh egg bun and here is the secret: Use Wispride Port Wine cheese as the cheese for it. Heavenly!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Juicy Hamburgers

By billytophat 1

If you cook them partially frozen, they come moist and juicy inside. I just did this and made 2 hamburgers for my sister and me. She said it was the best hamburger she ever had.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Making a Good Hamburger

By fritz 1

What are the procedures for making a burger?

By Fritz from Davaoi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Make Your Own Hamburger Patties

Instead of buying the ready made hamburger patties at the store which are more expensive than bulk ground beef and have no seasonings, I have started making my own. I buy the bulk ground beef, season* it the way I like it. I take a large cookie sheet (the kind that is not completely flat, but has a 1/2 - 1 inch rim around it) and press the seasoned meat into it. I then take a large plastic tumbler or a small plastic container of some sort and then press the glass into the sheet of meat (like you would with a cookie cutter when making rolled cookies).

If I'm not going to grill them immediately, I take the perfectly shaped patties and cover them with plastic wrap and put them in the freezer for a few hours and then store in a zip lock freezer bag. They are frozen individually, so I can take out as many as I want. It works out GREAT and all the burgers are the same size and cook evenly.

* To test the seasoning, take a small piece of the ground beef and cook in a small fry pan. Add more if needed at this time.

By JK from Phoenix

Feedback:

RE: Make Your Own Hamburger Patties

I really like your idea. Why not save a step and cut them square, with a butter knife. Wendy's does it all the time and you would not have to re-shape the odd and end stuff. When I make mine, I use the cheap baggies, that has the flap. 100 for a dollar. The cookie sheet is a good idea. (01/30/2009)

By hummm

RE: Make Your Own Hamburger Patties

I love the ingenuity behind this idea with the cookie cutter uniformity, especially with kids who might argue over who gets the largest! I like the square idea, as well, although by making them round you do get a few more patties out of your batch of meat.

Could you put a piece of waxed paper down on the cookie sheet first, then spread the burger and cut the circles, pull away the extra meat, cover the circles with plastic, and just leave them on the cookie sheet for the initial freezing to peel off later and bag up?

Separate cookie sheets could be stacked in the freezer using mugs or cups in between. Possibility? Thanks for the main idea! (01/30/2009)

By Cathy S

RE: Make Your Own Hamburger Patties

Here's another tip I've used for so long, it didn't occur to me to mention it. :P

The way I used to do it was, I'd use my hamburger patty press... just a simple plastic device with the "press" part to fit right inside the patty mold. I would lay wax paper (if I had any) on that cookie sheet, then take a ball of burger meat (about the size of a snowball.) I'd plop it into the mold, and press it into shape with the press. I usually didn't cover the burgers, and it only took 30-60 minutes to "flash freeze" them.

Last but not least, I'd gather the pressed burgers into an empty bread bag. It was the perfect size. I never thought to put any wax paper between the burgers, but I probably could've. Ditto with the seasonings. (01/30/2009)

By JustPlainJo

RE: Make Your Own Hamburger Patties

Some good ideas here! Every time someone pre-mixes, pre- shapes or pre-seasons something, the price goes up, and every dollar saved is worth more than an extra dollar earned which will be taxed. I have done something similar by pressing the seasoned beef into a moistened plastic lid from sour cream or yogurt containers. Freeze on a lined cookie sheet then store well-wrapped.

The bags that cereal comes in are great to recycle and have many uses. They can be used as-is or to line a cookie sheet as above. They can be opened flat then layered with strips of bacon and rolled up before freezing. A few strips can be easily removed and quickly thawed anytime. The bags can also be cut into circles and placed between meat patties for quick removal. I also use larger circles between layers of Christmas cookies. (02/01/2009)

By Dorothy from Edmonton

Archive: Making Better Hamburger Patties

When making hamburger patties at home, try adding some chopped bell pepper and onion with a tablespoon or two of milk. Mix altogether and fry or BBQ. Makes a tasty juicy burger.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Feedback:

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

Also good if you add a package of instant onion soup mix to 1 pound of hamburger.(04/26/2006)

By IMAQT1962

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

To be sure hamburgers are cooked through, I make a hole in the middle on both sides with my finger before cooking so the middle cooks along with the rest. (04/26/2006)

By Dotty

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

I also add some feta cheese to the patty, makes it even better (04/27/2006)

By Scaryone

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

You can add many tasty things to home made hamburger patties. The other members' ideas are tasty. Salsa is good if you like that flavor, or BBQ sauce, ketchup/mustard or tomato sauce mixed in. All will help keep burgers moist. Try chopped canned mushrooms. Shredded cheeses. Or for something different, experiment. "Think outside the box". For example, finely chopped canned pineapple or something else that might be served with beef on kabobs will give a unique flavor. (04/27/2006)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

Ok I know I am gonna spell this wrong, lol, but I'll try it like it sounds. I add a little Worcestershire sauce to mine. I also add fresh garlic and onions chopped up very fine. (04/27/2006)

By katieandjeffy

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

We buy a product called "liquid smoke". Add it to your raw hamburger, mixing it in well and then cook. It gives it a good flavor. You can find it near the ketchup and stuff at the grocery store. (04/28/2006)

By peggygv

Keeping patty together

How do you get the patty to not fall apart during grilling? (07/20/2006)

By Helen

re:burgers falling apart

I always add 1 egg for every pound of beef to keep the burgers from falling apart while grilling. (07/22/2007)

By Cindy J.

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

I like burgers! I add sauce to mine. (01/25/2008)

By James

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

Also great if you take some well chopped up pepperon,i not too much, and throw it in with the hamburger. (04/18/2008)

By

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

I like doing hamburger patties just like I do meat loaf. I add the bread or crumbled crackers to the raw hamburger, with the spices I like, a lot of time I like garlic and chili powder. Put an egg in and some onion, and sauce. (sauce can be spaghetti sauce or any variety of tomato sauce). Make the "ball" so that it can pass from hand to hand when finished mixing. If it is too juicy add more crumbled crackers, if too dry, add a little more sauce. Then pat out patties. You can also throw in some steak sauce if you don't prefer the chili powder. I love spicy burgers! You can make meat balls in the oven also with this technique, with some sauce over them. So, the basic is for hamburger patties to fry or grill...and for meat loaf, and for meat balls. Yummy, serve with a nice variety of toppings. We love cheese, tomato, lettuce, and onions. (07/10/2008)

By glinda

RE: Making Better Hamburger Patties

I like mixing my hamburger patty with a sauce called (I'm gonna spell it wrong but I think it is) yoshetes? it makes the hamburger more tastier lol

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) Is it Yoshida's? (07/15/2008)

By chan

Archive: Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

Tips and recipes for making great hamburgers. Post your ideas.

Feedback:

Extra Juicy Hamburgers

For extra juicy hamburgers, add 1/4 cup of evaporated milk per pound of meat before shaping.

(01/20/2005)

By Chell

RE: Hamburger Tips - Making a Good Burger

I like to add Worcestershire sauce to mine! :) (01/20/2005)

By kimmcg

I have added Lipton's dry onion soup mix along with a a little Worcestershire sauce. (01/20/2005)

Also great if you add dry ranch powder mix to it. (01/21/2005)

By pookster

Some of the best hamburgers that I have ever had had Miracle Whip mixed into the hamburger (01/25/2005)

By Toni

Add 1/3 cup each chopped onion and bell pepper with 1-2 T. whole milk to 1 lb ground meat. Shape into 4 patties and fry in iron skillet with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.Salt and pepper to taste. Top with a thick slice of grilled onion, cheese, lettuce, tomato and pickles. Mustard and mayo if you want on the bun that has been buttered and toasted on both sides in a frying pan, like grilled cheese. (01/26/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

I use 1 lb ground hamburger, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, cracked blacked pepper to taste and either diced chives or onion powder. Take 3 Tbsp. butter and melt in microwave and add 1/4 tsp. minced garlic and parsley, mix well with hamburger mixture form patties and cook as you like on grill, stove top or broiler. Always get rave reviews on this one. Good luck, take care of you and those you love. (02/10/2005)

By Suzanne S.

I make the patties, then sprinkle garlic powder, seasoning salt, ground pepper, and chili powder on it (08/18/2005)

By AML

Worcestershire sauce and onion powder sprinkled on one side, grill, flip, sprinkle seasoned salt on the other. Mmmm! (08/22/2005)

By LizCar

I think, you should marinate the burger with seasoning.

Q: How many times should I flip the burger to make it the best tasting it can be? (08/08/2007)

By jimbob

How do you keep burgers from getting fatter in the middle while cooking? (11/03/2007)

By Dave

Mushroom and Swiss burgers

Use Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup for the sauce, Swiss cheese. Add these after the burgers are cooked. We love them. You can add more mushrooms if you want. (11/13/2007)

By 4libros

Spices you like and we always add crushed crackers any kind to hamburger. (01/31/2008)

By smilingfaces88

Dave, I just watched an Everday Foods episode that demonstrated pushing with your fingertips in the center of each hamburger patty before grilling. When it puffs it'll come level with the rest of the burger. Limit the handling of the meat for the juiciest of burgers. Apply pepper and plenty of salt just before placing on the grill. Turn only once, cook 5-6 minutes on each side. (07/14/2008)

By MeMe

I make mine with garlic salt, onion powder. Mix well with dales sauce and add little drips of Worcestershire sauce. Then while grilling, I add pepper to both sides. (08/18/2008)

By Brandi

Great tips people. Don't forget to not smush them down. That that takes the juices out. (12/10/2008)

By Charlotte

When cooking hamburgers, whether on the grill or frying, never 'smash' the hamburger. Most people believe that removes grease from the hamburger, but that is not so. The grease melts and cooks out of the burgers with the heat from cooking, so what you are actually 'smashing out' is the natural juices, which makes for a dry hamburger.

By Fortunately

Archive: Adding Veggies to the Meatloaf

When making meatloaf, I always add fresh cut up vegetables; spinach, broccoli, peas, onions. This makes for a special treat!

By Marilyn Wons from Destin, Fl

Feedback:

RE: Adding Veggies to the Meatloaf

I use to add a raw carrot to my meatloaf mix. When you are serving it, each slice has an orange circle in it. This worked well when I was trying to get my kids to eat meatloaf! (03/16/2006)

By Carol

Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatDecember 28, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Hamburger Sliders
    Making Sliders
    Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
    Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
    Sloppy joes for a large group.
    Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
    Grilling Hamburgers
    Grilling Hamburgers
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:21:19 AM on 10.0.2.55 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings