Making Liquid Soap from Bars of Soap

Category How To
Bar of Soap
To keep perfectly good soap slivers from washing down the drain, simply reuse them. This guide is about making liquid soap from the remnants of soap bars.

When you do this for the first time, you will be amazed at how much of your money is being taken for giving you much less of a product! Make your own liquid soap.

Chop a bar of soap (even cheaper if you collect freebie soap from hotels, etc.) into a bowl. Add water and microwave, whisking every now and then, until melted. Keep adding hot water and whisking, and test the 'set' by spooning a bit into a saucer and leaving for an hour. The first time I did this, it took a long time as I kept thinking I had added too much water, but I ended up with loads of liquid soap from a small bar! Pour into a liquid soap bottle and there you are - great as a simple hand wash soap! You can add some olive or almond oil (shake well) for more moisturising and essential oil for fragrance.

For showering, I use unscented better quality soap; again so much cheaper than shower gel.

They are making so so much money charging more for liquid than solid soap and laughing all the way to the bank; not on my watch!

I microwaved pieces of Dove and Lever together. Next time, I will not mix them, as the Dove melted faster and frothed up.

I have lost the formula for making liquid soap from Dove Soap Bars. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!
Annie from Cotati, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I googled "make liquid soap from bars" and got (among others)

http://frugalli  arliquidsoap.htm

some years ago there used to be this container that had some beads in it and you'd put your hard leftover soap pieces in it and it would melt making it liquid soap but I haven't seen them in a while. I think I'll google them. If I find it I'll let you know.

Hope this will help, although it's not the recipe you are looking for (Dove Soap Bars)

http://www.esso  eliquid_sivk.htm

I just put a bar of sop in a large margarine tub and fill with water 3/4 full. Let it sit for about 3 days,then whisk to combine. We use this for bodywash or hand soap dispensers.

3 bars of Dove (microwave for 90 seconds in 30 second intervals) then add to 6 cups of boiling water~ stir until dissolved~ poor into heat safe jars~ cool~ then into your favorite soap dispenser! I used Dove Shea Butter bar soap~ ~turned out awesome!

How do I make liquid soap out of slivers of bar soap?

By Monica

Answer Was this helpful? 5

When I was growing up Mom always had a quart mason jar filled with water and soap "scraps". She would just let the soaps dissolve in the water. When any liquid soap was removed from the jar, she would add enough water to fill the jar again. If she had only patented that idea we wouldn't have had to been so frugal.

My husband goes through a bar of soap every few days because he uses it like a washcloth. (I use a washcloth so my soap lasts a long time, but there's no changing 64 years of habit, I guess.) I keep a quart jar that I put his soap slivers and water in, and I refill all my liquid soap dispensers in the kitchen, laundry room, and bathrooms every few weeks with the liquid soap it produces.

I use a funnel to make it easy to transfer. To keep it from being slimy and stringy, I put a few squirts of cheap liquid hand soap in each container when I refill it. I get that at the dollar store or on the sale aisle of the grocery store, and a bottle will last a long time. The soap is creamy, but not slimy.

I'll fill the dispenser half to 3/4 full, and then add water, and then add a little water to the quart jar. I figure I save about $15 a month doing this.

Please enlighten me as to how to liquidate perfumed soap tablets freely available in market.

Thanks and best wishes.

By A A M. from Sri Lanka

Long before liquid soap was developed my mom and I use to collect the slivers of soap that no one wanted, grate them up, add water to them and put it in a container for washing your hands. We had 6 in the family so wasting was not an option. My husband now collects the soap, grates it up, and shapes bars of new soap from it. I have also seen him add it to a cloth bag which you wash with.

Source: My Mom and husband

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

Answers:

Making Liquid Soap from Leftover Bar Soap

This brought back memories. When I was a child in the 40s my grandmother had for each of us for our bath a terry cloth wash cloth sewed like a little sack with a bias tape draw string. You would put the pieces of soap in and then pull the bias tape and tie a knot and you had a wash cloth with the soap inside. It was nice to on summer days when the well was dry or almost dry and a rain would come we would take our wash cloth/soap and go out and wash where the water came off the corners of the roof. We also would wash our hair that way. Can you see what kids of today would think, but we never thought a thing of it. It was a cool and refreshing time. (07/21/2010)

By patpan

Years ago someone told me about making liquid soap from leftover bars of soap. Something about putting it in the blender I think. Does anyone know what to do with all these small remains of soap bars?

Arlene from Ridgely, MD

Answers:

Years ago I made some liquid soap out of small soap slivers I had saved. I mixed the small bits of soap along with some water in my blender. I didn't like it because it came out very slimy.

What I do now is just save the left over soap and just make soap balls.

Don't throw away small pieces of soap. Gather together like colors of soap (or you'll end up with an ugly colored ball.) Place scraps in a bowl, and if they are very small - great, no further work needed. If not, break them up with a knife, sprinkle pieces with warm water; let sit 15 minutes to soften.

Gather up a handful and squeeze into a ball shape. It will take from two days to two weeks to completely cure in a warm, dry area. Reshape every two days to maintain a round shape. Don't worry about irregularities; they will lend interest to your soap.
(03/12/2009)

By MCW

MCWs response made me laugh. I thought the same thing--the one time I made it, it turned really slimy too. You can grate them, melt them in a little water and recast them in molds (an old margarine container will do). Once dry enough, turn them out, cut into bars, finish drying, then use--just like the soap balls, but a different shape. You can make a pad from a leftover washcloth and stuff it with the slivers, tie it off and wash with it (or buy one at Walmart for about $1.50). Or I use mine to make homemade laundry detergent (soap, really). There's also something you can buy, where you soak the soap to soften it, put them in a press that forms them into new bars. (03/13/2009)

By susanmajp

We use our slivers of soap by attaching them to the next bar when they're both wet. Just leave the shower with them sitting stuck together and they'll attach. You may have to really smush them but they'll eventually stick.

Another way we used to use them when we had several bathrooms going at the same time (kids still living here) was to drop the small bars into a mesh bag (like from oranges) and hang the bag from the shower nozzle. Our kids liked Mom's "soap on a rope" and it kept those small bars from winding up on the shower floor and melting away.

I didn't have any luck with making liquid soap either. (03/13/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

I cut off the foot portion of an old pair of pantie hose and drop the soap slivers in there and tie a knot at the top. I can untie it to add more as they accumulate. Makes a soap on a rope for me. (03/13/2009)

By ginnee

I once worked at a motel and the housekeepers would save all the unused bits of soap and just drop them into a bucket with a little water. The soap would melt into liquid soap consistency. The laundry used about a half cup of this in a load for washing stains out of sheets, etc. Just stir it occasionally and add water as needed. Don't let any undissolved clumps of soap get into the machine. Home machines take about a quarter cup per load. (03/13/2009)

By plwp12

You can use slivers of soap to lubricate sticking drawers, windows, etc. Mechanics often use soap slivers to lubricate belts that are squeaking on cars. (03/13/2009)

By plwp12

It helps if you cut the soap into smaller pieces, or use a cheese grater, and heat the water in the microwave before mixing. It will come out slimy, but it still works! I have some in my bathroom right now. (03/14/2009)

By Ree 127

I have made liquid soap, but I cooked it on the stove until it got all melted and creamy. Don't remember it getting slimy at all. One of the earlier posts sounds unsanitary, the one where the motel reused the old soap from the guests. You never know what germs they left on that soap. Yuck! (03/15/2009)

By seachelle

I know nothing about making soap, but I would really like to know how to make bars of soap from all those pieces I have been throwing out. Is there a simple way or do I have to buy all the soap-making stuff to do it? Thanks for your help!

glomax56

Answers:

Anyone have a simple recipe for making soap from leftover pieces?

You can use grated soap melted in some water to make liquid soap for your pumps. You can also collect those bars and tie them in a piece of pantyhose and hang them by the hose in the yard for 'garden soap'.

good luck (11/05/2004)

By beanygurl

You can put the slivers of soap in a washcloth folded in half and sewn on two sides and velcro on the third side (The fold is the fourth side). Wet the cloth and the suds appear. The velcro closure means you can keep adding slivers whenever you have them. (11/06/2004)

By Cheryl from Missouri

I never have leftover pieces of soap, when the bar gets way down to where you can't hardly use it, simply stick it to the next new bar and you will NEVER have to worry about soap slivers. (11/07/2004)

By Ginger

One thing I have done is to save the soap slivers until you get a fair supply, put them into your blender with enough HOT water to cover, and whirr them up until mixed well. This will give you a liquid soap that you can use as is, or pour it into a plastic container and cover with paper, or put into a covered box or paper bag. The idea is to keep the dust out while letting air in to dry the soap. Set in an out-of-the way place until dry. It will take several weeks (or months). After dry, pop out of container/mold, cut if necessary, and use. If you don't have a blender, you can grate the soap into a container, add the water and let sit until dissolved. Stir/shake occasionally. Then proceed as above. (11/07/2004)

By Jean

Jean, thank you so much for that suggestion - I am going to try this. It's exactly the kind of idea I was hoping for! (11/07/2004)

By glomax56

Take all of the slivers of soap you have, put them in a microwave safe bowl and nuke them about 30 seconds maybe a little more. Once the soap liquefies, put it in a soap mold (purchase these from a local craft store, they have inexpensive plastic ones) then let them dry for a few hours. Stick the mold in the fridge for about an hour, then pop out your soap! (11/08/2004)

By Serena

Can you make molds out of homemade clay, and then line with Saran wrap and pour the soap in there?
Would this work? How long does it take to dry? (11/09/2004)

Yes i have three plastic rings. One is the middle ring which the soap sits in and the two outer rings close together one on top and one on the bottom. I got it from regal books. Once you have all the smaller soap pieces you put it in side and run warm water over the whole thing and then move the two rings bottom and top one away and then the other away. This will make it stick a bit and after that, fill your bathroom sink up with warm water and then sit this in it so it soften it up so you can stick it harder. Let the whole thing dry, so each time you get more remove one lid or ring and add it together and do the same thing over again. After a while you should have a new bar of soap with all the left overs. I hope this help you (12/02/2004)

By Susan

Here is another idea, get some cloth and make a small bag and add velco to it and drop your soap piece in that and fill it up. Shut it and you have a soap baggie for the shower or to wash your hands. Happy soap making (12/02/2004)

By Susan.

The bath mitt at http://www.leafa.com eliminates the problem of soap slivers. Check it out, I love it. (01/11/2005)

By Soapster

making soap

I tried to make soap for the first time, it came out awful. I grated a bar of soap, put in microwave ,for about 25 seconds, took it out to stir it then kept putting in. It was one big mess, was so stiff. I put in color and oils. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me. Thank You (09/12/2005)

By Shannon

We take a wash cloth that we sewed the three sides up and put the leftovers inside it. fold the open end up and wash with the wash cloth (08/25/2006)

By tlcdsfit

Other techniques

I have a neat tool I bought at Vermont country Store, it's a swisher. You place all little soap slivers inside, and when you run water over it, it makes instant foam. You can swish it through a basin of water, too. It makes great use of slivers to wash hose or any hand washables.

I also take the tiniest slivers and break them in to a recycled plastic container, then cover with water. I shake it every day for a while to keep things stirred up. After a while it will make liquid soap.

When soap gets too small for the shower, I shift it to the sink, and when it gets too small for there, I use it in the swisher. (02/18/2007)

By Suzie

I take the slivers and put them in the blender. I grate them very fine, then I add them to a bowl and add a little warm water. Let sit for 15 minutes and then shape into balls. These are very simple to make and look really nice! Let them dry for a few days. (08/09/2007)

By Staceyy

We have a B and B guesthouse. Thus, we have tons of those partially used little bars of soap. So I use these to make large bars for my family. Here's is what to do.

Collect a good amount of partially used bars - make sure they are thoroughly dry and free of any hair or dirt.. Put them in large pot and add boiling water to cover. Wait 24 hours stirring occasionally. The bars will become mushy. Then mash them or blend them using a mixer. To kill most common bacteria, boil 5 to 10 minutes. You can then add any essential oils for scent. Then pour into molds or large rectangular baking dish and let sit about 2 weeks. Use a pizza cutter or knife to slice the soap into the size bar you choose. If needed, you can use a potato peeler to soften the edges.

Enjoy!

(11/14/2007)

By BJ Robin