Making Paper Flowers From Old Books

Category Decor
Make Paper Flowers
From Old Books
This is a guide about making paper flowers from old books. An interesting way to recycle discarded books that creates beautiful decorations.

A beautiful use for discarded books.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

Friendly Disclaimer: Let's get this out of the way up front. I'm a book-lover. I would never do this with a book that could still be enjoyed as "a book," and I'm going to trust that you never would either. I use books that are in very bad condition, headed for the landfill, especially ones that I have multiples of, like the old hymn books I collect.

Now, on to the craft.

Tear out a section of pages from the binding of the book. For the one in this photo, I think I used about 6 pages.

Keeping all the pages together, draw petal shapes onto the top page of your stack. I did a free-hand tear-drop shape. You will want to draw the petals in 6 separate sizes, large to small. Use more pages if you can't get all 6 sizes onto the top page.

Cut out your petals through all 6 pages at once, so that you end up with 6 of each size. 36 total petals.

If you want curly petals, roll the rounded tip-end of each petal around a pencil. Or wait until your flower is complete and fold some of the petals to suit your fancy.

When your petals are all cut out, you can start to assemble your flower.

Smallest petals first, glue the petals to each other at their pointed ends, in a fairly tight grouping. Now glue the next size to the backs of the small grouping.

Work your way outward with each petal size forming a flower.

Make the middle piece by rolling one more large petal shape and pinching one end. Glue it into the middle of the completed flower.

Now your flower is ready to be used in any way you like. The possibilities are endless.

Mine is going on a wreath.

By Gloria from western NY

I have seen folks do this for Holiday Ornaments. They are so pretty, and I can imagine just a dusting of glitter spray on them. I love making things from other things, esp' when they can have a new life. Anything is better than ending up in a landfill.

Kudos!

Hi Poor But Proud, thanks for your comments. You're right, these can definitely be seasonal or find lots of holiday uses. I especially like using hymn books because there are traditional hymns for the different holidays. The glitter idea is great too.

If you didn't want to tear up the book, just photocopy the pages and cut the copy up. This could be done with christmas carols too for decorating the christmas tree. Thanks for all the great craft ideas. Connie

Connie, That's why I love this website, what one person doesn't think of someone else will. It never occurred to me to make a copy. Probably because I have so many old books in sad shape that I keep for crafts like this. But obviously, not everyone does or you might want to use the pages of a special book that you wouldn't think of tearing up. Copy it. Brilliant. Thanks so much for posting this. And thanks for your kind words.