Making Popsicle Stick Plant Markers

Popsicle sticks are great for making inexpensive plant markers. This is a guide about making Popsicle stick plant markers.

At this time of year, many of my plants are being brought inside for the winter. I love all of the beautiful plant markers that can be purchased, but if you have a lot of plants, those markers can get expensive. I save Popsicle sticks to make inexpensive markers. On one side you can write the name of the plant, on the other you can note any specific care information. I've added a second marker to the pot of this plant, an African Mask Elephant Ear, because ALL parts of this plant are poisonous: leaves, stems, and roots! Sometimes I just draw a skull and crossbones! When I first buy juvenile plants, or plants that are simply unfamiliar to me, this is especially important. Just use a permanent marker and you'll find that these markers last quite awhile, while saving you a lot of money.

Good tip, Ivey. I do dislike it when you see a nice plant belonging to a friend, ask them what it is, and have then reply, Oh, I don't remember and I didn't keep the label that came with it.

Our kids each planted a garden this year and I thought it would be helpful if they had plant markers. I had some oversized craft Popsicle sticks and thought they would make good markers.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

Find the letter stamps that you need to spell out your plant or vegetable name. Stamp the name onto the craft stick. Allow ink to dry for a few minutes. To protect them from the rain, I coated the stamped area with clear nail polish. This was a perfect solution and it was easy for them to do on their own.

Tip: I couldn't find a stamp pad, so I had them use washable markers and color on the stamps instead. It works great!

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA