Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

I made lots and lots of homemade spaghetti sauce, although its mighty tasty, I think its way too sweet, is there anyway for me to change it, when I am ready to make some pasta with it. I think I probably put too much brown sugar in it. Please help!

Genny from Portland, OR

Answers:

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Genny, a number of years ago I canned a gazillion quarts of unseasoned tomato sauce and the sauce was so sweet I couldn't use it at full strength. I hadn't added any sugar at all. The variety of tomato I used contained a lot of natural sugar (Pink Brandywine). Since then, I have had good luck with tomato varieties labeled "high acid content" or "old fashioned tomato flavor" and stay away from those that emphasize sweetness. Good canning varieties include Big Boy, Rutgers, Celebrity, Campbell's, Mountain Delight, Arkansas Traveler, Roma, and Amish Paste, just to name a few. Try to stay away from pink tomatoes for canning because they contain a lot of natural sugar. My mother, on the other hand, loves sweet tomato sauce and loves the sweet flavor the pink tomatoes give. Heinz makes a sugar-free canned spaghetti sauce that's very tasty. Perhaps you could mix it half and half with your current sauce. Good luck! (08/27/2004)

By Jonid

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

I would, and I always do, make spaghetti sauce from scratch with this:
Cook some carrots and mash them and add to sauce.The amount depends on the amount of sauce you have to do. I have also used jarred baby food carrots to a prepared sauce. Mashed of course. (I am 61 and still keep baby food on hand.) (08/27/2004)

By sshep

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

When my husband cooks homemade sauce and it's too sweet he slowly adds 1/2 Worchestershire sauce and 1/2 soy sauce, both reduced sodium, to the pot. It only takes a tiny amount, but it takes the extra sweetness out and gives it a really nice flavor (08/28/2004)

By Suzanne S.

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Just add some lemon juice to your sauce. Don't add any sugar to your
sauce, when you make it. The lemon juice works just fine, I've been a chef for 45 years,
(04/06/2005)

By Jimmie

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

I came online with this exact question and the answer was perfect. I used 1/2 capful lemon juice and it did the trick (in 2 pints sauce). Thank you! (04/15/2006)

By Jan

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

Red wine also works to cut the sweetness instead of lemon and gives a nice flavor to boot! (04/05/2007)

By Maia

Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet

If you happen to make spaghetti sauce too sweet, add a little bit of white vinegar to it. It will take that sweetness away almost immediately. I tried this trick when my husband made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce, once I added about a quarter cup of white vinegar to it, it was perfect. (02/14/2008)

By christinal

Hand placing basil leaves in pan of spaghettis sauce on stove
Making Spaghetti Sauce Less Sweet
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Spaghetti Sauce in Terracota Pot
Spaghetti Sauce Tips and Tricks
plate of spaghetti with tomato sauce
Information about Spatini Spaghetti Sauce Mix
🎉
🎄