Making Spreadable Cream Cheese

Cold cream cheese can be a challenge to spread, but you can easily change its consistency. This guide is about making spreadable cream cheese.

March 1, 2010 Flag

Here's how to make your own whipped cream cheese instead of paying extra for it at the market. Beat cream cheese in a bowl while slowly adding 3 to 4 tablespoons of milk per 8 ounces of cream cheese. It's as easy, peasy as that. ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

September 20, 2006 Flag

I bought a brick of cream cheese and I'd like to make it into a spread (like the kind you buy in a tub). Any ideas?

Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

I ahve a friend who jsut made one for me, it was yummy. Use about the ammount of cream cheese that would come in a regular cube and mix in some canned green chilies (to taste) and spread on tortillas and roll up. It was yummy!

Also, you could spread some on toasted sourdough bread and then topwith a mixture of onion, minced garlic, sundried tomatoes and capers. Mmmmmm

Thank you for all of the flavor/seasoning ideas but I guess I should have been more specific.

One of the guest posts on 9/22 answered what I had been looking to make it creamy (making it into the creamy consistency like what you would get in the tub version).

I take a brick of cream cheese , put in the mircowave for 30 seconds and then add a can of salmon drained,and take the skin out . I mash it in with some Mrs Dash citrus seasoning

it is smooth. Lovely on toasted bagel

I use fat free yogurt to thin the cream cheese to tub like consistancy. You may need to stir it when you get it back out of the refrig.

January 13, 2011 Flag

When mixing cream cheese, add a tablespoon or two of milk to make it smoother.

Source: My Mom

By JodiT from Aurora, CO

Food and Recipes Food Tips DairyJanuary 26, 2014
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Cream Cheese Brownies
Cream Cheese Brownies
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese