Browsing: Making Your Own Knitting Loom

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Your Own Knitting Loom

There are a number of things you can use to make your own custom loom. This guide is about making your own knitting loom.

Knitting Loom
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 30, 2006 Flag

You can make your own knitting loom and make yourself a beautiful poncho even if you don't know how to knit. It is that easy. Once you get started you will be making all kinds of things. A knitting loom made from wood and nails.

Supplies Needed:

Directions:

1. To start you will need to sand the wood you have chosen to make sure that it is smooth. Any piece of flat wood will work. I used a scrap piece that had writing all over it which is why I covered it in paper before I placed the nails in it.
  2. Once you are finished preparing the wood you can measure out where you want the nails to go. I recommend that you start with the nails 1/4 inch apart. Do not space the nails more than a 1 inch apart. The further apart they are the looser the weave will be. The nails in picture are spaced 1/4 inch apart. Make a mark on the wood for each nail placement. This will help you keep the nails in a straight line and make sure that they are not off in spacing.
  3. Top down view of loom.

4. Now that you have the nails in place you are ready to start knitting. I know at first that this seems like it will hard, but really it couldn't be any easier.
  5. To make your poncho determine how wide you want it to be. The length will be twice the width. Basically you will be knitting a large rectangle. Make a simple slip knot in the end of you yarn and place the loop over your starting nail. Take the tail of the yarn and wrap it around each nail so that it creates a loop, this resembles an "e". Once you reach the last nail reverse the motion and go back over each nail until you come to your starting nail. Make sure that the front of each loop from start to finish and finish to start are wrapped the same way. You want the front of the loops to be on the same side of the nail.
  6. When you have completed wrapping each nail twice use your crochet hook to pull the bottom loop over the top loop then off the nail. Wrap the yarn around the nails again doing only one pass this time. You only want two loops on each nail for this project.
  7. Once you have your large rectangle the size you want, it is time to bind off. Complete you last row so that only one loop is on each nail. At the end of the row where your skein of yarn is, pull a long tail and cut it. Make sure you leave yourself a tail that is extra long so that you will have enough yarn to bind the last row without running out or pulling it too tight.
  8. Thread the yarn into the yarn needle and start sewing. Place the needle through each loop one at a time and pull it off the nail. When you have removed all of your stitches from the loom wrap the yarn one time through the last stitch and tie a knot. This will help ensure that it does not unravel.
  9. Fold the rectangle in half with the right sides facing each other. This will create a square. On one of the long sides measure half way from the fold to the middle. You do not have to go half way if you want a smaller neck hole.
  10. From the middle sew the remainder of the side closed to the bottom. Use the yarn needle and yarn to do this. Just create a simple whip stitch. This way you can't see the stitches. At this point you can add fringe if you would like too.

Enjoy wearing your poncho. Now that you know how to knit a poncho you can make blankets and so much more. Knit poncho.

January 23, 2008 Flag

I would like to have instructions on how to make a knitting loom and knitting rake for my kids.

Bernely

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am not sure exactly how to make them but I saw at a thrift store a while back, a homemade circle loom that used golf tees as the pegs. In all honesty it may be more cost effective to buy a cheap Knifty Knitter loom set at wal mart. My set was around 10 or 11 dollars for 4 looms with a yarn tool, plastic needle, and instructions.

Here's a website to help you with the loom I don't know about the rake tho

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086485_make-knitting-loom.html

Lynne

Hi, you can buy a wide tooth comb at your local beauty supply store....they make GREAT knitting rakes for kids for under a dollar. And, you can attach them together and make your own knifty knitter for cheap too.

I have a post here on the subject....A Cheap Pocket Knitting Rake......let me know if you have any questions.....

October 6, 2008 Flag

How do you make round looms?

Shirley from Mariposa, CA

Here is a link to instructions on how to make a loom.

http://punkrockpurlgurl.blogspot.co ... how-to-make-round-knitting-loom.html

Hope this helps!

Knifty Knitter makes round knitting looms in various sizes. Watch for sales at your local craft store, and check catalogs like Mary Maxim and Annie's Attic.

February 12, 2005 Flag

is there any one that could share instruction to make a round loom. Also a knitting board. I would be very grateful for any help.

Charleen

I found this site. http://home.earthlink.net/~dickrobinson/(quote

would like to know if anyone has a plan or blue print for making the knitting loom round and square if so send to shewolf49078 @ yahoo.com (remove spaces) thank you

http://www.ehow.com/how_5762659_mak ... d.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

This is another site for making your own knitting loom.

I couldn't find the link above.

The correct link for the dick robinson instructions is

http://loomknittinghelp.com/intro/makeloom.html

Then just click on the making a loom info...

The other site - http://earthlink.net/~dickrobinson/ is no longer valid....

Good luck.

March 31, 2006 Flag

If anyone can tell me how to make a small loom I would really be grateful. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Kathy from MO

I am not sure what you are using the loom for, but you can make a wooden frame and use finishing nails for the pegs. I have used this kind of loom for weaving with yarn but I'm sure it could be used for other applications.

Earlier this week was the following:

Make Your Own Knitting Loom

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf21801974.tip.html

Crafts Knitting LoomsOctober 28, 2013
Girl wearing a knitted hat.
Making a Hat With an Oval Loom
Round Knitting Looms
Round Knitting Loom Tips
Adjustable Sock Loom
Using a Knitting Board Adjustable Sock Loom
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:01:51 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.