Making a Baby Bib

To save on laundry, regularly use these garments to keep food off of your baby's clothes. This guide is about making a baby bib.

Baby with a homemade bib on.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

This bib was based on the need for a larger bib for my children when they were young. I noticed that when babies started eating solid food you could find waterproof large bibs, the only draw back is they don't absorb much when they drool when teething or spit up. I took a small (short) infant bib and used a food bib to make the measurements for this bib.

finished bibs

Approximate Time: About 1 1/2 hour

Yield: 1-2

• spool of thread
  • needle
  • 1/2 -1 yd flannel
  • straight pins
  • pin cushion
  • bias tape
  • 1 baby bib or a store bought pattern.
  • sewing machine
closeup of supplies

1. Pin bib of your choice to the fabric. If you would like a longer bib, measure to desired length. Measure across for width.
  2. measuring for larger bib using a small baby bib
  3. Cut out bib (2).
  4. pin small bib to fabric
  5. Turn wrong sides together.
  6. fabric with right sides togethertwo pieces of fabric
  7. Remember to clip curves. Pin bias tape around edges.
  8. clip curves before pinning on bias tape
  9. Stitch bias tape to fabric. Stitch in the fold of the bias tape.
  10. stitch in tape fold
  11. Trim seam an 1/8 inch from seam.
  12. trimming seam
  13. Fold bias tape over trimmed seam, pin, and stitch along open edge.
  14. adding tape down sides of bib
  15. Add 10 inches of bias tape to length beyond top of bib for ties. Pin bias tape to sides and stitch in fold.
  16. stitch in tape fold down sides
  17. Trim fabric of seam.
  18. trim seam
  19. Fold over bias tape. Stitch along edge of open edge. Repeat for other side.
  20. sew tape down
  21. For the bottom I used the above sewing directions, but added a 1/4 inch to each end.
  22. cut 1/4 inch longer than side
  23. Fold in the 1/4 inch on each side and hand a stitch closed.
  24. sewing bias tape closed
  25. Repeat on the ends of the ties.
  26. sewing ends of tape shut
CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use handkerchiefs as a bib for my baby. I have bought lots of them in different colors and like to coordinate them with his outfit.

Handkerchiefs make the best bibs for a drooly baby. Not only are they much cuter than traditional bibs, but are absorbent and quick to dry. I keep several of them in the diaper bag and once one has gotten too wet, I hand wash it really quick and lay it out to dry. When we are out and about I lay it on the car dash to dry. They completely dry within an hour or two and much quicker on a nice day. When in a pinch I use a public restroom hand dryer, car heat vents, or a hair dryer.

It is important to pay attention to the quality of the fabric and not just get the cheapest ones you can find. The fabric should be 100% cotton and should be completely dyed rather than the design being screen printed on. I have bought some handkerchiefs for $1 a piece and they have turned out to be useless. The fabric, although saying it was 100% cotton, was not absorbent and the design peeled off after a few washes. So, now I splurge and get better quality ones knowing that when my little one outgrows needing a bib, I can still use them as snot rags as my father called them.

If you're handy with a sewing machine or unlike me, don't mind hemming you could save tons by buying scrap fabric and making your own. This way you could get lots of cute designs as well.

Boy toddler at the beach.
    Toddler boy on white couch.Boy sitting on couch.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bandana baby bib.Makes a very inexpensive, fun gift! Bandana baby bib.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• bandana (or other fabric)
    • wash cloth (or other fabric)
    • scissors
    • sewing machine or serger
    • thread

Instructions:

1. Obtain bandana (or cut similar fabric into the same shape) and wash cloth (or similar fabric cut into the same shape).
    2. Cut fabric pieces.

3. Sew or serge edges of each piece of fabric.
    4. Sew two portions together until all are completely attached (basically in a triangle pattern).
    5. All done!

By Ci Ci from Yakima, WA

This is a reversible baby bib, made using worn denim blue jeans and cotton fabric. Create a bib in the shape desired. Cut one piece of denim from this pattern, and one piece of cotton for the reverse side.

Reversible Denim Baby Bib

When you need to protect your clothing while eating, use a towel with binder clips as a "bib".

Tie the ends of a lightweight cord or yarn, long enough to go around your neck plus a bit more, to two binder clips.

Using a small towel or something of that nature, attach the binder clips to two corners and you have a quick "bib" for whenever you are eating something messy. Detach when done, wash the "bib" and either take apart the "bib" holder or put away for another time.

I would use this for an older child. I don't know if it would be safe for a baby or toddler because of the metal clips.

By Mkymlp from NE PA

Handmade one-of-a-kind keep-on bib: cute and comfortable for a new little baby.

Pink washcloth bib.

My daughter-in-law needed a bib for spaghetti night and we couldn't find anything. She had an idea to use an old receiving blanket. She cut a slit in it for her head and made a poncho-like bib. It worked great and was washable and thrifty!

How do you make terry cloth bibs?

Janet from Salem OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is a website you might find useful:

http://www.needlepointers.com/displaypage.aspx?

ArticleID=29746&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.patternbee.com%2fFREE6.html

They show how to make a bib with a washcloth.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a pattern for pocket bibs for toddlers. And if it crisscrossed in the back, it would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Thank you.

By Susan from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would consider NOT using the cross ties in back because they could get tangled in them if they tried to get out of chair as they will when they get older. Maybe regular with a little tab of velcro. Probably have free patterns on web.

Read More Answers...

Valentine towel bibs can easily be made with just a couple of fabric items. You just take a simple tea towel or dish towel and fold over one end about 5 inches, cut a u-shape in the center and then add ribbing fabric to the neckline with a single machine straight stitch.

Tea towel cut for bib and decorated with Valentine's Day motif.

I am looking for a bib pattern for a baby/toddler that has long sleeves and Velcros in the back. Thanks very much.

Jeanne from Englewood, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have a look here, its a great resource for free sewing patterns for baby - http://www.babies-blog.com/free-sewing-patterns-for-baby/

Read More Answers...

When making baby bibs or burp cloths, I cut a piece from a mattress pad a little smaller than the bib or burp cloth and slip it between the two pieces of material. I close the end then I sew across the bib or burp cloth and make a design, usually a diamond. That way, it keeps the pad from balling or bunching. Then I edge it with bias tape. This makes a great shower gift and it is inexpensive.

By Vi from Mobridge, SD

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Would anyone know where I can get a free pattern to make a baby bib with sleeves?

Nicole from Canada

Free Baby Bib Pattern With Sleeves

I had no idea of what a baby bib with sleeves looked like, until I googled the information. I didn't find any free patterns, but you may have better luck than I did.

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/SBF854.htm?tab=sew_baby&page=1

Wait until a sewing shop in your area has a sale on patterns and you might be able to get one for $1-$2.

Marge from NY (09/29/2007)

By MCW

Free Baby Bib Pattern With Sleeves

How about getting some old shirts and opening the seams and making a pattern? You can trace on a paper sack and trim. Just remember to add some on for seam allowance. You could use remnants to make cheaply, use towels, old sheets etc.

Just brainstorming out loud here....
      Granny (10/02/2007)

By Granny Marcia

Free Baby Bib Pattern With Sleeves

You can try this: someone once told me to go to a thrift store or Goodwill and buy some old sweatshirts in a size one or two bigger than my kid. Cut the back out up to the ribbing on the collar and to the sides to the seams under the arms. Keep the arms attached to the collar and the front of the shirt, removing the rest of the waistband from whole bottom of the sweatshirt. I admit I have never tried it myself but sounds like it's worth a try especially if you can get the sweatshirt for under a buck. (10/05/2007)

By

Free Baby Bib Pattern With Sleeves

I know I have also been looking for a pattern for a bib with sleeves, and I stumbled across this site. Here is the link
      http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/esb_child-bib-sleeves.html Hope this helps! (12/16/2007)

By Heather

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Crafts Baby ItemsNovember 4, 2012
      Baby Bib Craft Ideas
      Baby Bib Craft Ideas
      Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
      Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
      Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
      Baby Shower Ideas
      People attending a baby shower.
      Saving Money on a Baby Shower
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 7:04:34 PM on 10.0.0.220 in 262 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.