Making a Baby Bib

To save on laundry, regularly use these garments to keep food off of your baby's clothes. This guide is about making a baby bib.

February 15, 2015 Flag

This bib was based on the need for a larger bib for my children when they were young. I noticed that when babies started eating solid food you could find waterproof large bibs, the only draw back is they don't absorb much when they drool when teething or spit up. I took a small (short) infant bib and used a food bib to make the measurements for this bib.

Total Time: About 1 1/2 hour

Yield: 1-2

• spool of thread
  • needle
  • 1/2 -1 yd flannel
  • straight pins
  • pin cushion
  • bias tape
  • 1 baby bib or a store bought pattern.
  • sewing machine

1. Pin bib of your choice to the fabric. If you would like a longer bib, measure to desired length. Measure across for width.
  2. Ad
  3. Cut out bib (2).
  4. Turn wrong sides together.
  5. Remember to clip curves. Pin bias tape around edges.
  6. Stitch bias tape to fabric. Stitch in the fold of the bias tape.
  7. Trim seam an 1/8 inch from seam.
  8. Fold bias tape over trimmed seam, pin, and stitch along open edge.
  9. Add 10 inches of bias tape to length beyond top of bib for ties. Pin bias tape to sides and stitch in fold.
  10. Trim fabric of seam.
  11. Fold over bias tape. Stitch along edge of open edge. Repeat for other side.
  12. For the bottom I used the above sewing directions, but added a 1/4 inch to each end.
  13. Fold in the 1/4 inch on each side and hand a stitch closed.
  14. Repeat on the ends of the ties.

These are very cute!

What a great idea! I was just thinking that I really need some longer bibs because my little guy makes a BIG mess in his highchair. These would be perfect. Thanks for the instructions!

I don't have any small children or grandchildren, and cannot say I am fond of sewing, but, when I saw your tutorial, I thought I need to make some for all the people I know who are having babies!

You made one of the easiest to follow, and clearest picture and narrative tutorial I've ever seen! Great Job, and Thank You!

February 20, 2014 Flag

I use handkerchiefs as a bib for my baby. I have bought lots of them in different colors and like to coordinate them with his outfit.

Handkerchiefs make the best bibs for a drooly baby. Not only are they much cuter than traditional bibs, but are absorbent and quick to dry. I keep several of them in the diaper bag and once one has gotten too wet, I hand wash it really quick and lay it out to dry. When we are out and about I lay it on the car dash to dry. They completely dry within an hour or two and much quicker on a nice day. When in a pinch I use a public restroom hand dryer, car heat vents, or a hair dryer.

It is important to pay attention to the quality of the fabric and not just get the cheapest ones you can find. The fabric should be 100% cotton and should be completely dyed rather than the design being screen printed on. I have bought some handkerchiefs for $1 a piece and they have turned out to be useless. The fabric, although saying it was 100% cotton, was not absorbent and the design peeled off after a few washes. So, now I splurge and get better quality ones knowing that when my little one outgrows needing a bib, I can still use them as snot rags as my father called them.

If you're handy with a sewing machine or unlike me, don't mind hemming you could save tons by buying scrap fabric and making your own. This way you could get lots of cute designs as well.

May 6, 2009 Flag

Makes a very inexpensive, fun gift! Obtain bandanna (or cut similar fabric into the same shape) and wash cloth (or similar fabric cut into the same shape)

Bandana baby bib.

July 21, 2010 Flag

This is a reversible baby bib, made using worn denim blue jeans and cotton fabric. Create a bib in the shape desired. Cut one piece of denim from this pattern, and one piece of cotton for the reverse side.

Reversible Denim Baby Bib

April 13, 2010 Flag

When you need to protect your clothing while eating, use a towel with binder clips as a "bib".

Tie the ends of a lightweight cord or yarn, long enough to go around your neck plus a bit more, to two binder clips.

Using a small towel or something of that nature, attach the binder clips to two corners and you have a quick "bib" for whenever you are eating something messy. Detach when done, wash the "bib" and either take apart the "bib" holder or put away for another time.

I would use this for an older child. I don't know if it would be safe for a baby or toddler because of the metal clips.

By Mkymlp from NE PA

Reminds me of childhood and my parents simply sticking a corner of a towel or napkin in my shirt collar and spreading the rest out on my chest ;-)

I could definitely use something like this, lol! Hubby tends to do the "towel-tucked-in-collar" thing with a paper towel.

Actually, this tip would work for anyone of any age who tends to be a messy eater.

I always have my boys tuck a large paper napkin in their shirt collar while dining. I learned this trick when I was in ROTC as this was required by our instructor in order to keep our iniforms spotless. This is the best way to keep shirts stain free. I can see where using a set of metal dental clips to attach the napkin would clearly provide extra coverage while assuring that the paper napkin stays in place.

April 16, 2010 Flag

Handmade one-of-a-kind keep-on bib: cute and comfortable for a new little baby.

Pink washcloth bib.

October 8, 2013 Flag

My daughter-in-law needed a bib for spaghetti night and we couldn't find anything. She had an idea to use an old receiving blanket. She cut a slit in it for her head and made a poncho-like bib.

February 8, 2008 Flag

Valentine towel bibs can easily be made with just a couple of fabric items. You just take a simple tea towel or dish towel and fold over one end about 5 inches, cut a u-shape in the center and then add ribbing fabric to the neckline with a single machine straight stitch.

Tea towel cut for bib and decorated with Valentine's Day motif.

November 14, 2010 Flag

When making baby bibs or burp cloths, I cut a piece from a mattress pad a little smaller than the bib or burp cloth and slip it between the two pieces of material. I close the end then I sew across the bib or burp cloth and make a design.

October 8, 2006 Flag

How do you make terry cloth bibs?

Janet from Salem OR

When my son was a toddler cutting his baby teeth, he drooled heavily, and the entire front of his clothing would get soaked. I came up with this idea, and it worked great. Instead of using small washclothes, I used colorful dish-towels, which covered his shirt completely. Laying the towel out on a flat surface. I made a small circle, (about the size of a large grapefruit) about 1/4 of the way below the top edge of the towel. I cut out the circle, then machine stitched a strip of rib knit around the hole. The knit can be purchased at fabric stores. Just ask for the rib knit used to make cuffs on shirts. I zig-zagged around the original stitching, as terry cloth tends to fray. (Even though the hole is small, it stretches to accomodate almost any sized head due to the stretchy knit fabric.) Turn it over, and you have a nice, large cover which can be used as an artist's smock or bib. I kept mine and used them for years. My aunt made some for her elderly husband who happened to be suffering with Parkinson's and drooled constantly. They can easily be adjusted to fit any sized person. Hope this helps!

When my daughter was younger (now 4 1/2), I took dish towels and cut a hole for her head. I tried to sew velcro on them to attach in back, but could never get it to stick or it would pull off, so we finally ended up just clasping it in back with a clothes pin at meals. She still wears these to paint or do crafts.

TC in MO

Use seam binding (in color of terrycloth so no fading onto bib) to hem, leaving long enough ends to tie in back of neck. It will do better to cut the half circle at top. I made many of these when my twins were little and found that thick terrycloth was hard to work with. (Twins are now 45, so you can see this idea has been around for awhile!)

December 21, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a pattern for pocket bibs for toddlers. And if it crisscrossed in the back, it would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Thank you.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Baby ItemsNovember 4, 2012
Baby Bib Craft Ideas
Baby Bib Craft Ideas
Two baby cradle church purses with Kewpie dolls inside.
Crocheted Baby Cradle Purse
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎄