Browsing: Making a Dog Coat

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Dog Coat

Buying your dog a coat at the pet store can be very pricy. A less expensive alternate may be to make one. This is a guide about making a dog coat.

A homemade dog coat.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 12, 2007 Flag

My elderly dog was getting cold and shivery on her daily walk-abouts in the back yard. I looked at dog sweaters, but she's a good-sized dog and they were $30! I went to the Salvation Army store, picked up a kid's sized fleece zip-up vest. I put her front legs through the arm holes and zip it up over her back. She stays cozy and best of all, it cost me $1.25!

By Marna from Hartford, CT

I had Greyhounds and live in the Midwest which can be brutal in Winter. My dogs had no fur or fat to keep them warm, once I bought a winter coat ($120) but it seemed to thin. Because I couldn't afford $240 for two coats I went to the fabric store & bought...

February 21, 2006 Flag

Dog wearing coat.I was determined to have a coat for my 18-month-old dog Honey. We walk in all weather and she does not have a whole lot of fur on her underside. I wanted something warm and waterproof. I found the perfect coat at Pet Edge. Even though it was a very good price, my husband lovingly reminded me that our budget does not have a "dog apparel" line item! So I did what any smart mom would do. I set out to make my own.

I had some fun with a picnic blanket and a "free" pattern from the Circle of Crafters website.

In all, the coat cost me about $2.50 and a few hours (spread over two days) to make. I had to buy some more Velcro, but I already had everything else. I had purchased the reflective tape in the fall to sew on all of our coats. I love reflective tape! I was very happy with the value and service that I got from Identi-Tape Inc. I purchased sew-on reflective tape from them online.

You can hardly tell that this cozy coat used to be a picnic blanket. It is quilted for warmth and has been treated with waterproofing spray for those early morning hurricane walks. Naturally, it is reversible: One side revealing a traditional tartan, the other a bold blue vinyl with an urban edge. Practicality has not been lost to fashion, as this blanket coat has a pocket on each side, appliqued with a charming heart. The design also puts safety first with a reflective strip on the back of the coat.

Happy playing,
Karla

Great idea! Very sharp, and I'm sure very warm as well!

November 5, 2006 Flag

This is a coat I made for my little dog. She gets cold in the winter time and store bought dog clothes are so expensive so I decided to make my own. Dog Coat for Cold Weather

I looked carefully at the shapes of clothes sold at the store and decided on a shape that I liked. I measured my dog and sewed scraps of corduroy from some old pants together to make the top. I cut an old sweatshirt for the lining and I used some fabric I folded and ironed to make a piping I sewed around the edges. I used Velcro at the neck and waist to fasten. I sewed some elastic on the inside to pull over her back legs to keep the back of the coat in place. Now my dog will be toasty warm this winter!

By Hillary from Dublin, CA Corduroy patchwork outside. Inside of coat.

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas! I am at the moment wrestling with a store bought pattern that might as well be in Cantonese. I get it - but I don't... nd I know that making a dog coat is not as hard as this pattern wants me to believe lol! I'...

January 17, 2005 Flag

Is your doggy cold, but you just can't justify spending $25 on a "special" sweater? Go to your local GoodWill and pick up a toddler sweatshirt cut off the arms an inch down from the shoulder seam and "viola" you have a doggy sweatshirt.

January 26, 2015 Flag

I'm trying to put new Velcro over the old. The adhesive doesn't stick well enough to stay. My dog has 3 coats she can't wear for this reason. Any ideas anyone?

By LIz from Greenwich, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just replace with buttons or the plastic buckles used in making rope bracelets, on ribbons.

Sounds like you're trying to just stick adhesive-backed velcro over the old. You need to SEW new regular velcro on. Good luck!

Jean is spot-on - you need to SEW that velcro:) You'll need to buy an inexpensive leather or upholstery needle set - they come in sets of three to five, usually a curved needle in a couple of sizes and then two or three more 'heavy duty' needles with wicked looking points!

The sets cost less than $5USD and can be found in just about every store in the USA - grocery, drugstore, big box, sewing centre, and hardware. I've even seen them on racks at convenience stores on visits to family (I live in the UK but spent over 50 years in the US).

If you're not in the US, try your country's Amazon site, use the search term 'upholstery heavy-duty sewing needle to bring up dozens of choices.

You'll want to use a heavy duty sewing thread, too - also available in the same places as the needle set. Look for something that matches or is about the same size and thickness as the other stitching on the item you're trying to fix.

Finally - use a knot on the thread, but make sure the knot (doubled for strength) is on the outside to avoid painful rubbing on your dog's skin.

Buy snaps (they'll be right around where velcro is in the notions dept)! No sewing, you don't even have to remove the 'bad' velcro. I discovered this trick when my Jack Russell Terrier was teething and Chewed the Lapel off the one and only store bought clothing I had for him. That fix involved a bit more than snaps. He couldn't knaw through them either... that jacket's been my go-to template for almost everything my Littles have. I Just traced around it on newspaper, traced around that a second time on more newspaper to allow for seams. Rather than donating your old clothes, cut them up and make fido a new outfit. Save the zippers, buttons, cute trim, etc for that or future projects. Arms are easy if you just cut the upper off an old sock. Turn it upside down, the finished edge of the top is now the cuff. If it's too wide sew a seam to 'skinny' it up. Trim the excess AFTER making the seam. Less mess and no fighting the elastic

November 21, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have a pattern for a Greyhound dog coat? It could be knit, crochet, or sewn. Greys have a different shape compared to most dogs with their deep chests and long torsos. My boy is very tall and about 80 lbs. Much thanks.

By Marlene from Billerica, MA

http://www.doggoneknit.com/patterns/crochet/onepiecesolid.html

If you can get your dog to stand still for a moment, take his measurements and add extra inches to the pattern so it will fit his long slender body.

There used to be a great site called greyhoundmanor.com but they are gone now. Here is a link to their coat.

http://nantonanimalprotection.com/r ... lothes/hooded%20greyhound%20coat.pdf

I just bought a dog coat pattern (10 different coats, 4 knitted and 6 crocheted), at JoAnn Fabrics. It shows how to measure the dog to get the coat to fit, and then gives a scale for the blocks for 12 sizes. It is book #934, Dog Sweaters to Knit & Crochet, from Leisure Arts. Don't know the price as I bought several items.

February 7, 2015 Flag

How do I make a dog coat from a t-shirt?

By Sandy J

If the tee shirt fits the dog, meaning the sleeves are not too long on the front legs, and the body is short enough so the dog can pee without hitting the shirt underneath the body, then the only thing you need to do is put elastic through the bottom hem of the tee so it will stay covering the dog. If the dog wears a harness, you may want to put a buttonhole (a slit with the edges blanket stitched) to clip the leash to.

January 26, 2010 Flag

Have any of you had luck with turning a pullover bib for a baby into a little Chihuahua coat by putting a Velcro band to go under the dog's belly? If so, can you tell me how you did it?

January 26, 2010 Flag

I got a puppy for my birthday. He's a Chihuahua and gets very cold but I didn't want to spend that kind of money to buy dog clothes, so I went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of baby clothes.

November 21, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know how to make a coat for a small dog? What I would like to do is use a baby coat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Crafts Clothing How ToOctober 2, 2012
A stack of Mexican blankets.
Making a Coat Out of a Blanket
Fur Coat
Repairing Fur Coats
Finished racks mounted on the wall.
Making a Fish Coat Rack
dog with shiny coat
Keeping Your Dog's Coat Shiny
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 10:18:17 PM on 10.0.1.16 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.