Making a Dog Crate Cover

Category Miscellaneous
One way to provide your dog with a cozy, private space it to add a cover to her crate. Additionally, the cover can camouflage the crate making it more a part of your decor. This is a guide about making a dog crate cover.

This is a cover for my dog's cage. I made to help keep him warm and also for privacy. It has a flap in the front you can tie up or let it down to have the cover closed yet allow him access to go in and out.

Approximate Time: 45 minutes

Instructions:

1. First measure each side of the cage and cut pieces big enough for all areas (top, front and sides, but not bottom) to be covered. Allow an extra 1 inch for seam allowance.
  2. Sew the four sides around the top piece. Keep fitting it over the cage to be sure they are the correct size.
  3. Do not sew the front flap. This will be used as a door so the dog can walk through and go in or out as he pleases. Or you can attach a tie to the top of the cover and tie it up if you wish to have it open.
  4. Hem the bottom of the cover.
  5. Put a hem in the 2 pieces that make up the flap.
  6. Cut some strips of fabric about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide to use as ties to hold it to the cage.
  7. Sew 2 ties in each corner. Wrap around the bars of the cage and tie to prevent the cover from moving around. These will hold it securely.

Let Rover inspect it and enjoy!

By Donna from Millbury, OH

That's really cute. I received a lap quilt from a catalog promotion as a gift for buying something else. It's small enough to use as a crate cover. I just folded it to cover the top and both sides with out covering the back or front. It's cozy enough for my Maltipoo and Shiz-Tzu with out sewing.

Our dog's crate takes up a lot of room in the living room. Any ideas for hiding it or making it useful?

Thanks in advance!

Karla from CT

We use ours as a corner table between the couch and chair. I put a burgandy throw over it and then a pretty white table topper. My dog loves it and people are surprised that it is her kennel.

Love & Prayers,

Linda

Anonymous

check out this site: http://www.cratehaven.com

I got a brochure when I went to the AKC Eukanuba dog show recently.

Wow, what wonderful ideas. I just got a puppy, yes at 54 years old, I guess I need another 'baby'. Her crate is right now in my bedroom so she is not alone at night. I would like to put it in the family room in the spring when it's warmer out. I also don't like to look at it though. The ready made must be pretty costly though. I think I'll try cutting down some plywood and using nice moulding for trim and giving a coat of paint. She is a tiny dog, a pug apoo we think. Maybe a pug + brussles griffon. Not sure but darn cute and at $250 rescue fee quite a bargin. For the love she gives back. A private rescue sight , if anyone wants a pup or kitty email me at vallford@aol.com and I will give you the information on the wonderful woman I got her from. She opens her home to these needy dogs. They even sleep in her bed with her and her hubby. Some she fosters out when needed. If anyone can match someone with a dog she can. My Molly is a handfull at 5 months of age but a delight. She came from terrible conditions ( someone that calls herself a rescue person). That's another whole story. Valery

Has anyone here tried the litter box for a puppy? The pads are ok but if puddled and she steps on it her feet get wet. It's so cold out and she's so tiny it's hard to get her outside to go potty. Also I live in a split level house and she can't go down the stairs as yet. She can't get to the door to let me know she has to go. At night if she's in her crate she'll wine so I know she can hold it for a little while. Any house trianing tips would be appreciated. Vallford@aol.com

I got the great, FREE directions from http://www.sewi  leofcrafters.com

You can hardly tell that this cozy coat used to be a picnic blanket. It is quilted for warmth and has been treated with waterproofing spray for those early morning hurricane walks. Naturally, it is reversible: One side revealing a traditional tartan, the other a bold blue vinyl with an urban edge. Practicality has not been lost to fashion, as this blanket coat has a pocket on each side, appliqued with a charming heart. The design also puts safety first with a reflective strip on the back of the coat.

All made with things I had at home!

There is a new item, people are starting to sell what looks like a side table but is safe and good for small dogs. But i let my baby sleep with me in my bed, that's much better.

I bought one of these: http://www.hardwoodhideaway.com. They are so nice looking and people keep commenting on how great mine is. Kind of cool!

Can you paint a dog crate, what kind of paint. We just bought a used one and it is very used looking, paint chipping rusting etc. What could I spray it with?

I am thinking of spray painting my dog's crate with black Rustoleum. Anyone tried this?

I took our large kennel and took off the door and it is sitting on my porch. I put a table cloth (material) that I got for 25 cents at a yard sale and sewed three sides up and put velco and the third side in a couple of places. I got some straw and filled it half way. Put it in the kennel. Then took an old car mat and we attached it to the front of the kennel so the light etc would stay out and our dogs could go in and out. Our neighborhood cat also loves it. Good use of an unused kennel. In the winter we put duct tape over the holes on the side and now the critters have a place to go to get out of the weather. The straw keeps them comfy and warm. Hope this helps.