Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Making a Futon Cover

Futon Couch

Buying a replacement cover for your futon can be expensive; it may also be difficult to find the right fabric. This is a guide about making a futon cover.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Making a Futon Cover

I needed new futon covers and had a hard time justifying $600 for the ones I wanted. Instead, I bought the exact fabric I wanted on sale for half price and used the old covers for a pattern. It ended up costing only $100 for the new covers.

By Kathy - Oregon

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Making a Futon Cover.

Question: Making a Futon Cover With a Quilt

I would like to make a futon cover from a quilt. I've seen directions using sheets, but wonder if anyone has tried using a bulkier material and would like to share any do/don't tips before I get started? The futon is a full-size. Instead of using two quilts, I'm considering using a quilt for one side and a contrasting, less expensive fabric or sheet for the other side. This will save some money and give another look when it is switched.

Has anyone tried this with success?

Gwen from Ohio

Most Recent Answer

By jojo (Guest Post)07/18/2007

Yes, I used a double-sized duvet cover (or quilt cover as I call it). Our futon's mattress is roughly the same size as a double bed mattress, so I just slipped it straight inside the 'duvet' cover and fastened the poppers at one end. If the mattress is a little smaller than the cover it would be easier to make it smaller by running a seam along one edge...that's if you prefer a very neat fit. Good luck with your project :)