Buying a replacement cover for your futon can be expensive; it may also be difficult to find the right fabric. This is a guide about making a futon cover.
I would like to make a futon cover from a quilt. I've seen directions using sheets, but wonder if anyone has tried using a bulkier material and would like to share any do/don't tips before I get started? The futon is a full-size. Instead of using two quilts, I'm considering using a quilt for one side and a contrasting, less expensive fabric or sheet for the other side. This will save some money and give another look when it is switched.
Has anyone tried this with success?
Gwen from Ohio
The only thing I would do is be sure to give yourself enough seam allowance to handle the bulkier material - and to be sure your quilt is a very sturdy construction. Most quilt seams are not designed to be sat on - so you may find that the quilt wears easily at those points. If it is a solid "comforter" without pieced seams, then you may be ok, but anything pieced will have lots of stress and wear points.
I have not used a quilt but I have used a double sized quilt 'cover' simply slipped over my futon mattress..easiest cover ever!!! Easily removed and washable too :) Plus you can making matching cushion covers from pillowcases if you find a budget set!
Thanks jojo, did you use a duvet cover? I also considered using a double sized quilt and putting elastic around the edges so it would fit like a fitted sheet, for easier removal. The futon is at my daughters, so I dont have easy access to experiment.
Yes, I used a double-sized duvet cover (or quilt cover as I call it). Our futon's mattress is roughly the same size as a double bed mattress, so I just slipped it straight inside the 'duvet' cover and fastened the poppers at one end. If the mattress is a little smaller than the cover it would be easier to make it smaller by running a seam along one edge...that's if you prefer a very neat fit. Good luck with your project :)
I needed new futon covers and had a hard time justifying $600 for the ones I wanted. Instead, I bought the exact fabric I wanted on sale for half price and used the old covers for a pattern. It ended up costing only $100 for the new covers.