Making a Futon Cover

Buying a replacement cover for your futon can be expensive; it may also be difficult to find the right fabric. This is a guide about making a futon cover.

Futon Couch
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I would like to make a futon cover from a quilt. I've seen directions using sheets, but wonder if anyone has tried using a bulkier material and would like to share any do/don't tips before I get started? The futon is a full-size. Instead of using two quilts, I'm considering using a quilt for one side and a contrasting, less expensive fabric or sheet for the other side. This will save some money and give another look when it is switched.

Has anyone tried this with success?

Gwen from Ohio

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, I used a double-sized duvet cover (or quilt cover as I call it). Our futon's mattress is roughly the same size as a double bed mattress, so I just slipped it straight inside the 'duvet' cover and fastened the poppers at one end. If the mattress is a little smaller than the cover it would be easier to make it smaller by running a seam along one edge...that's if you prefer a very neat fit. Good luck with your project :)

Read More Answers...

I needed new futon covers and had a hard time justifying $600 for the ones I wanted. Instead, I bought the exact fabric I wanted on sale for half price and used the old covers for a pattern. It ended up costing only $100 for the new covers.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Home DecorMarch 5, 2013
baby at photo shoot
Making a 1st Birthday Hat and Diaper Cover
A man sitting on a red futon.
Keeping Futon from Slipping
Sewing Machine Cover
Making a Sewing Machine Cover
Dog Crate
Making a Dog Crate Cover
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 1:30:41 AM on 10.0.1.19 in 326 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.