Making a Grave Blanket

Category Floral
tombstones in a cemetery
Grave blankets are typically made using a wire frame and evergreen plant material, along with other decorations. They are a thoughtful way to remember a loved one during the holidays. This is a guide about making a grave blanket.

I've made six grave blankets at Christmas time in the past. When I make one, I use chicken wire, about 5 ft tall and the regular width of the chicken wire. I get real Christmas tree limbs free at Home Depot that have been cut off their trees. I weave the branch ends in and out of the chicken wire. Start at one end and go up. Once done, put a large red ribbon in the center, like a package. Make a large bow and tie it to the middle of the red ribbon.

You need to wear gloves when putting it together. It looks very beautiful when finished.

Source: Just online

I want to make a grave blanket. Whenever I buy one and put on the gravesite the deer eat it. I would like to make one out of plastic or something that deer don't like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Judy from Mt. Pleasant, MI

Search for Grave Blanket that deer don't like lot of info there, good luck.

I would think if you use silk/plastic greenery and flowers that would prevent the deer from eating it. Any animal is apt to eat the real things. For instance when I have flower pots on my patio, the squirrels and rabbits are always in them.

I've never heard of a grave blanket before. What a nice idea!

It's a cover usually made from flowers and such. Here is a photo I got from googling "grave blankets" and you can find out a lot by doing just that. Hope it helps!

I would google.com your question. Since my hubby passed away in 2012 I've been thinking I would like to cover our stone and my mothers by doing this: Measure the edges of the stone. Make a wire frame with wire prongs at each corner to keep from blowing away. Hot glue silks or plastic flowers/greenery to top of form. I have never seen one do this, but it will be beautiful and yet everyone can see the name inscribed.

I got curious because I plan to use silk flowers on my grave decoration idea, so I went to ask.com, and it specifically says "deer don't like silk or plastic flowers, but they love real flowers so this Milltown cemetery put up a sign to not leave fresh flowers or the deer will devour them!"

Hope this helps. ec

Many cemeteries will remove flowers once a week for mowing, even if you place them the day before. Some will not allow silk/plastic flowers at all due to riding mowers. The wires foul up the equipment.

Also many cemeteries are not allowing Monument/Headstones anymore. They are using ground level markers because they can mow over them. It's less time and work for big places. Best check with the office to see what they allow before going to the expense.

Deer will eat most flower tops. They LOVE carnations. They will shun Yarrow and Bird of Paradise though. Casket Sprays are laid on top of the grave after services instead of blankets in some states.