Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Men's Crocheted Skull-Cap

A tightly fitted hat is an easy pattern to crochet, and will keep a young man warm and stylish. This is a guide about making a men's crocheted skull-cap.

This is an easy pattern for a classic, tight-fitting winter hat. It looks great on every guy, and is warm and useful. It will only take you about an hour to make, what guy couldn't use another hat or two?:)
**This should fit teen-adult**

Total Time: About an hour

• "I" crochet hook
  • around 150 yards #4 worsted weight yarn
  • scissors
  • embroidery needle for weaving in ends

1. Ch 5, join.
  2. Ch 3, 13 dc in your ring, join.
  3. Ad
  4. Ch 3, 1 dc in same space as ch, 2 dc in each stitch around, join.
  5. Ch 3, 1 dc in same space as ch, 1 dc in next, *2 dc in next, 1 dc in next*, repeat steps between ** around.
  6. Related Content(article continues below)
  7. Drop your original color, do not fasten off, with your new color, Ch 3, 1 dc in same space as ch, 1 dc in each of next 2 stitches, *2 dc in next stitch, 1 dc in each of next 2 stitches*, repeat steps between ** around, join. Fasten off this color.
  8. Pull up your original color, ch 3, 1 dc in next stitch and each around, join.
  9. Repeat last step 2 times more with black.
  10. Repeat step 6, 1 time with grey.
  11. Repeat step 6, 3 times more with black.
  12. Repeat step 6, one time with grey.
  13. Repeat step 6, 2 times more with black. You will have a total of 10 rows 1 dc in each.
    Ch 1, work 1 sc in next stitch and each around, join.
  14. Fasten off and weave in ends.
  15. All set!

I have never been able to read a crochet pattern, but yours was great with the photos. You "BROKE" it down so easy to follow. I usually have to go to utube to see it being done. I broke my collarbone,1 leg,1 ankle & 3 ribs. There is only so much tv & computer you can look at. My nurse in the hospital got me started on crochet & have done about 75 beanie hats in 2 months. Iam yarn poor. ha Many of them I have given to homeless people. Crocheting is relaxing to me. Thanks for a great post

August 29, 2009 Flag

My hubby will be having Deep Brain Stimulation surgery next month. After the surgery, he will have to wear bandannas or skull caps on his head to help keep the surgery spots clean.

I would like some men's skull cap crochet patterns I can make for him. I've checked some of the sites with crocheted caps, but most of them have caps for women. The kind I'm looking for are the ones like you sometimes find on websites for military skull caps. Thank you so much.

By DiJones from Wilsonville, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.knit  rns/hatskull.htm

It looks like a very easy pattern to knit. Hoping that your husband comes through the surgery okay!

Oops, so sorry this is a knit pattern, not crochet!

This pattern says 'boys', but reading it, I believe it will easily fit a man. Looks fairly simple too. Good Luck!

http://www.allf  het/beanie.shtml

I wouldn't recommend anything knitted or crocheted on top of a wound. They can gather bacteria in between the stitches. I think a cloth scull cap would be better.....several so they can be washed. Also, if there is any bleeding etc the little fibers could stick to the wound. Cloth would be best. You could make them from fabric that has his favorite hobby printed on them.

I don't have the pattern any more. My father was bald headed and got cold in the winter so he wore a skull cap to bed. When I was a kid I learned to crochet the granny square and I simply made it round rather than square. I put two dc in one loop every so often to keep it round and flat. When it was large enough around I did the reverse so it would bowl shape.. If it came in too fast I just ripped it back a row and redid it.

(I was a practical joker so at Christmas time I always added a pompom.) My father loved me and humored me and wore it any way. God bless.

I went on to a place on the net that sells these military skull caps to get a good look. First off I'd like to say you can make a more comfy skull caps for your husband out of a cotton-lycra stretch knit fabric. Just sew 2 half circles of stretch fabric together. Sewy, fabric caps would be more comfortable for him to sleep in or wear anytime. Just take one of his stocking hats & lay that over the folded fabric as a pattern. Make sure the most stretch goes side to side not top to bottom (on the hat)

As far as crocheting, If you're not a beginner but are an intermediate Crocheter, you don't need a pattern (I've made lots of these without a pattern) You start on the top center of the head making a chain then crocheting 10 or 12 single crotchets inside that chain when you get back to the first single crochet go over that one & continue in a spiral pattern... Just keep crocheting in the spiral pattern adding 2 single crochets in one stitch (increases) ever 4 or 5 stitches to keep the beginning of the hat flat. After it's about 5 or 6 inches around you'll need to slowly add less & less stitches to bring the flatness to a curve. When the hat fits your hubby's skull you'll need to keep the stitches the same & not add or decrease to make straight rows (this area will be the sides). Continue until it's down to his ears or as long as you need it.

A warning: Crocheted hats are not very stretchy... That's why most hats are knit. You can use a sock yarn with elastic added to help this cap stretch a bit more. But if you can knit, you can make a hat that will have more stretch & give. Another option would be to crochet the cap a tiny bit wider that needed, then with a needle & thin elastic thread (it comes on a spool where other elastic is sold in white or black) thread this thin elastic into & around the bottom of the cap. Keep the elastic thread (also called "bobbin elastic") inside the stitches all the way around. I would sew in 3 - 5 rows of thin elastic.

Yarn Types:

1) I would use either cotton Knit-cro-sheen (the cotton make for lace & doilies) Knit-cro-sheen is Mercerized which means it's been boiled so it won't shrink when washed. You can also buy the thicker doily cotton or work with 2 or 3 strands of Knit-cro-sheen. For men's things always use single crochet because double crochet can look lacy & feminine.

2) Sock yarn has elastic added. This might also be comfy as long as you don't buy a brand that has wool in it.

* I would sew these out of a stretch cotton or old T-shirts if this were my husband because they might not be very comfy crocheted. Cotton Lycra fabric is so much softer & easy care.

I just found what you want! it's a chemo cap crocheted from soft 100% cotton for women, just make it a bit larger for a man. It's a supper-easy pattern! You'll have to join Bernat's site, but it's free & they don't sell your info.

http://www.bern  ern.php?PID=4603

If you can't find it this way, just log on to: www.bernat.com & search "chemo cap".

Thank you to every one for responding. I was able to make a crocheted cap a bit too large, then lined it with a light weight cotton fabric and put some elastic thread on the edges. It stretches, it covers the wounds and it is very washable. Finding the right fit was a bit tricky, but it's warmer than just crochet and I can make several colors for him. Again, thank you.

Thanks for sharing your pattern with all of us.i wanted a quick pattern to make hats for male shelter as homelessness isn't getting better and God was kind enough to give me my skills in crocheting.

It's crocheted isn't it ?

gloriamarie12, I agree, but what is crouching?

In These Guides
Crochet Hats
Making Crochet Hats
Skull Caps
Skull Cap Patterns
Crafts Crochet HatsJanuary 7, 2016
Girl's Fan Patterned Crochet Hat
Making a Girl's Fan Patterned Crochet Hat
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
Crochet tulip cap.
Making a Crochet Tulip Cap
A plate of skull cupcakes.
Making Skull Cupcakes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 3:07:52 PM on 10.0.0.84 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.