Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Neck Pillow

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Making a Neck Pillow

A comfortable neck pillow is easy to make either for yourself or as a gift. This is a guide about making a neck pillow.

Solutions: Making a Neck Pillow

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow

An easy way to recycle a sweater that is no longer usable into a nice child's pillow. Protect your child's head as you drive while they are in their booster seat. Step 7 Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow Craft

• 1 sleeve from a sweater
  • batting or recycled batting from an old pillow
  • sewing machine
  • hand needle and thread
  • pins

Instructions:

1. Cut the sleeve out of a sweater. If it is bigger on one end than the other then you will need to modify it by turning it wrong side out and measure the difference and sew another seam into it. Be sure to trim off any unwanted fabric also.
  2. Step 1 Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow

3. Fold into thirds and mark with two pins for stuffing.
  4. Step 2 Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow

5. Stuff the middle part first and stitch on both sides to hold it in place.
  6. Step 3 Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow

7. Stuff one end then the other and stitch closed turning under the raw edges so they are not showing using pins to hold it in place until you stitch it.
  8. Step 4 Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow Craft

9. Take the middle section and tack it to the side while pulling it towards you so it makes part of a U. (See photo)
  10. Step 6 Recycled Sweater Neck Pillow Craft

11. Tack it well enough that it does not come undone. Tack it on both ends and in the middle so it keeps it's form.
  12. Now tack the other end the same way.
  13. Voila, you are finished! You now have a small pillow for your young child to relax in as you are driving.

These are especially good for children who sits in a booster seat. Makes a wonderful birthday gift as well.

By Gem from VA

Tip: Velvet Bow-Tie Neck Pillow

Velvet Bow-Tie Neck PillowIf you are a less-than-tall person, but want a chair to fit you anyway, you may need a nice soft neck pillow. I made mine out of an of an old velvet bathrobe.

I made a 23x7 inch rectangular pillow, and lightly filled it with soft filler. I emptied out the center part a bit, cut a strip (5x7 inches) out of the same fabric. I turned it in on the sides, wrapped it around the middle of the rectangle, and secured this strip on the back with hand stitching.

It comes out looking like a bow and fits nicely behind my neck taking any stress off on my neck.

By K from Dowagiac, MI

Tip: Neck Pillow

Upholstery fabric neck pillow.The neck pillow is sewn from upholstery fabric that I purchased from an estate sale at a very cheap price. I also bought a small piece of fleece for the inside lining at Walmart.

To make, cut 2 pieces for neck pillow, and 2 pieces for lining. I cut my pattern pieces from interfacing, so the pattern would last me for a long time. I think it was a McCall's sewing pattern.

I came across this website which has a similar neck pattern pillow you can make for hospital patients. Or even make one for yourself. This is great to have on a long bus trip.

By MCW from NY

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!