Making a Neck Pillow

Category Sewing
A comfortable neck pillow is easy to make either for yourself or as a gift. This is a guide about making a neck pillow.

An easy way to recycle a sweater that is no longer usable into a nice child's pillow. Protect your child's head as you drive while they are in their booster seat.

Instructions:

1. Cut the sleeve out of a sweater. If it is bigger on one end than the other then you will need to modify it by turning it wrong side out and measure the difference and sew another seam into it. Be sure to trim off any unwanted fabric also.
  2. Fold into thirds and mark with two pins for stuffing.
  3. Ad

4. Stuff the middle part first and stitch on both sides to hold it in place.
  5. Stuff one end then the other and stitch closed turning under the raw edges so they are not showing using pins to hold it in place until you stitch it.
  6. Take the middle section and tack it to the side while pulling it towards you so it makes part of a U. (See photo)
  7. Tack it well enough that it does not come undone. Tack it on both ends and in the middle so it keeps it's form.
  8. Now tack the other end the same way.
  9. Voila, you are finished! You now have a small pillow for your young child to relax in as you are driving.

These are especially good for children who sits in a booster seat. Makes a wonderful birthday gift as well.

By Gem from VA

Thanks, this looks great for a neck roll for me also!

If you are a less-than-tall person, but want a chair to fit you anyway, you may need a nice soft neck pillow. I made mine out of an of an old velvet bathrobe.

I made a 23x7 inch rectangular pillow, and lightly filled it with soft filler. I emptied out the center part a bit, cut a strip (5x7 inches) out of the same fabric. I turned it in on the sides, wrapped it around the middle of the rectangle, and secured this strip on the back with hand stitching.

It comes out looking like a bow and fits nicely behind my neck taking any stress off on my neck.

By K from Dowagiac, MI

Rather than buying a neck support pillow for when you take a bath, just roll up a towel. It works great and assuming you don't get it wet, you have the towel handy to dry yourself off.

By ThriftyFun