Making a Paint Can Flower Pot

Category Floral
Paint Can
Make a decorative flower pot from an old or newly purchased paint can. This is a guide about making a paint can flower pot.

Here's a great way to reuse an old paint can by making a nifty painted planter. You could also use a new paint can which you can purchase in the paint section of your home improvement store.

Materials Needed:

Directions:

1. Spray paint the paint can and let it dry.
  2. Then stencil on your favorite picture or paint it free hand. Let dry.
  3. If you use fake flowers, stick the flowers in the florist's foam and place in the can. Arrange Spanish moss inside and around the flowers.
  4. If using real flowers, fill the can with dirt and plant your flowers.
  5. If you want to use it outside, seal the can to preserve the painting. You may also want to punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

By Sandy From Bluff City, TN

How very pretty that is and what a clever idea it always amazes me with the ideas and crafty things people do. Thank you for sharing this I am going to make one :)

I thought everyone had old paint cans, and they may not know the legal way to dispose of them (the paint, I mean, which is toxic waste).

Most cities have a toxic waste program.

So pour all the old paint into one can, take it to the waste site, and you're in business. It's like an offer they can't refuse.

In our area for latex paint, we are advised to allow all the paint in the can to dry then to dispose of it in the regular trash. We are told to add cat litter or shredded newspaper to aid in the drying process. I think oil based paints are still considered toxic & must be taken to the hazardous waste sites.

That is a really great idea to reuse things my college is doing a Santa's work shop and I will be sure to make that.