Making a Pirate Map

Category Miscellaneous
A handdrawn pirate treasure map.
Having an authentic looking accessories can make a pirate costume complete. This guide is about making a pirate map.

Making a pirate map has never been so easy! Perfect for your little pirate's next party.

Approximate Time: 30 min

Instructions:

1. There are so many wonderful scrapbook pages to choose from at the stores! I chose one that already looked like a pirate map, but if you can't find one you can choose one something else and draw on what you want.
  2. Mine didn't have a compass so I drew mine on with the N, S, E, W on it. You can also add the X marking the spot of the treasure or any other details.
  3. To make it look authentic roll, fold, bend, and crinkle your paper a bit.
  4. Burn your edges with the flame from a lighter. Have a clean rag or washcloth handy to stop or redirect the burnt edges as needed. To make holes in the center you may need to use scissors to start the hole, then burn the edges.

By Kelly L. from Ann Arbor, MI

I want to make an authentic looking pirate map, all aged and yellowed, and with burnt edges. Does anyone know how to do this? I looked online and saw the tea/coffee staining method, but I thought there was a way to do it using vinegar. All tips and methods are appreciated. I want my son's pirate costume to be complete with a map to find his hidden treasure! Thanks!

By Stephanie from Mililani, HI

Brushing a good malt vinegar onto the paper and letting it dry will give a good effect but you can never quite get rid of the smell. We found tea bags to be the best and then singe the edges by holding the paper fairly close to a flame not too close or it will be more pyromaniac than pirate. Check out my poor Halloween spud he never made it off the chopping board. Happy Halloweeen

I have burnt the edges of various items I have crafted by using my electric range with coils. Simply lay the edge a little at a time on a heated coil, if it catches fire simply have a wet sponge to daub it with - makes fantastic burnt edges!

I just threw a pirate party for my son's birthday. I asked my sister-in-law to help me with the pirate map. She used the tea bag method. I had purchased pirate hats for the kids who were coming to the party at our local Dollar Tree. The pirate left them a note where their loot bags had been. We had the kids count out loud their paces and they followed the map. It really turned out great.

The last note brought the kids back inside for their treats. :)

pirate map

Sorry they are out of order. Don't know how to upload all at once. :)