CuttingsGardening

Mini Greenhouse From Soda Bottles

Vote for this contest contender!

You can make mini greenhouses from 2 liter soda bottles. They are simple and dirt cheap. It is a very effective little greenhouse for rooting cuttings.

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1 mini greenhouse

1. Lay first bottle on a flat, stable surface, making sure it is full of air and tightly sealed. It should feel rigid. Firmly grasp the neck and cap with one hand. With the other hand using the knife, make a 2 in. cut along the top of the label. This will serve as a starting place for your scissors. You could continue all around the label with the knife, but I find you have more control with scissors.
  2. Insert scissors into the knife cut, and following the label top as your guide, cut all around the bottle and remove the top.
  3. Ad
  4. Align strip of tape along top of label on second bottle. You may have to leave a space between the label and the tape. This would depend on just where the bottler positioned the label. What you will be aiming for is the top of your tape to extend about a quarter inch into the curve of the bottle neck.
  5. Related Content(article continues below)
  6. Proceed with knife and scissors along the top of the tape and remove the bottle top as you did with the first bottle. Then remove bottle label and tape. Now, you have both top and bottom of your mini greenhouse.
  7. One at a time, hold each bottle firmly in one hand, and with the other, (from inside the bottle), gently force the screwdriver through each 'leg' of the bottle bottom.
  8. After making a drain hole in each leg of both bottles, check the fit of the two bottles. The upper half of the mini greenhouse with its slight curve at its opening should fit nicely about a half inch into the bottom half.
  9. Your mini greenhouse is now ready for filling the bottom half with a rich, loose medium to be used for rooting cuttings. It can also be used as a hospital for sickly plants. Most plants benefit from the high moisture inside the dome. Some plants such as African Violets and other gesneriads will benefit from all condensation being kept wiped from inside the dome.
  10. Rarely do I keep the bottom half at its original height. For most plants to be rooted, I shorten the bottom half to about one half its height.

I think I will try this. I do not have soda bottles but I'm sure I can retrieve some from my neighbors. Thanks for such detailed instructions.

Betty

Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsMarch 5, 2017
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
Plants with grow lights.
Making an Indoor Greenhouse
Pouring Sparkling Water
Making Sparkling Water
Cleaning mini blinds square
Cleaning Mini Blinds
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 8:52:51 PM on 10.0.0.154 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.