Mosaic Caterpillar Using Bowling Balls

Category Other
Broken tile mosaic finish makes this recycled bowling ball project fun to do and gives you a cute piece of garden art. This is a guide about mosaic bug bowling balls.

Photo Description
I received a few old bowling balls from a friend and wanted to make something cute. I tried painting them but within a couple of months, the sun had eaten through the 4 layers of marine varnish. I decided that tile would be a lot sturdier and hold up to the elements. I bought the tiles and immediately smashed them up. (Gasp!) It was a long process of gluing the tiles down, grouting between the tiles and then applying many layers of grout sealant. I did discover that, while I love crafts, I hate mosaic tiling! But, these guys make me smile. I love watching kids walking down the street and getting excited to see the Very Hungry Caterpillar and his friend the ladybug. (I don't think this one is grouchy, though!)

Photo Location
Torrance, CA (outside of Los Angeles)

They are adorable!!! What kinds of tiles did you buy and from where? :)

Hi lalala,

Thank you! I bought the tiles online from Home Depot. Finding the black ones were easy. They have a ton of those. The red is "Bright Red Pepper" and the green is "Green Kiwi". For the spots on the ladybug, I found a seller on ebay who sold large, black half marbles. The eyes are just cheap half marbles from the Dollar Store. The caterpillar eyes were part of the bowling ball already. They were undrilled and perfect for eyes!

Very creative!

Very cute! The effort was quite worth it!

Very cute! The effort was well worth it, in spite of the tediousness of mosaic work!