Moving a Stove

Category Kitchen
Moving a Stove
When cleaning behind it or transporting to a new home, a cooking range can be a challenge to move out of its place without damaging the floor. This is a guide about moving a stove.

Pull your stove out from the wall and clean floor, etc. When ready to push stove back into place, spray Pledge or an equal where the feet of the stove will slide. This will keep your floor from ripping or scratching.

I want to clean under and behind my stove. What is the best way to move the stove out of the way? I don't want to tear the vinyl floor.

By laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Best Answer

I would lift up one side at a time, and slide a piece of old carpet underneath and then pull it out. Make sure you don't intend to keep the carpet, as it will probably need thrown away afterwards.

Best Answer

Cardboard under the feet of the stove works if you do not have carpet,and or those felt chair pads on the feet.

Best Answer

I have an electric stove in my apartment. I talked to the maintenance man and he told me that the bottom front panel can be removed.

I removed the panel and I was able to clean the floor under the stove. If you have a gas stove, just follow the suggestions of the other posts.

Best Answer

I have a gas stove and have pulled it out to clean the crumbs that accumulate between it and the counters and to repaint the kitchen. Unless your house and the gas connections are very old, you will not distrub them. My husband is an HVAC man, so I know this. I have never had trouble with the floor, which is vinyl. But if you are worried, getting an old blanket under the front feet and having someone pull slowly while someone else gently pulls up on th back will get it out no problem. And while it's out, if it makes you feel better, check the gas line connection if you do have a gas range!

I am preparing to move a stove for my daughter. It will take 2 1/2 hours. Is it OK to lay a stove on its back? I didn't know if is was like a refrigerator and they must be carried upright at all times.
Any professional movers out there? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

By Brenda from Baldwin, KS

I suggest you call a place that sells stoves, good luck.

You can lay the stove down. A refrigerator has to remain upright because of the freon in it, but you don't have that problem with a stove.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I layed it down in the back of my vehicle and glad I did because I went through a rain storm. Moved it in, plugged it in and it worked perfect. Thanks again.