Musty Antique Dresser

Is cleaning a moldy dresser the same as a musty one? I already tried the coffee in the drawers. Now I have coffee smelling musty, moldy drawers. This is actually a 1950's secretary I just got and I'd really like it not to smell.

Janice from Bethel, CT

Answers:

Musty Antique Dresser

I would try Oust or Febreze. (12/28/2007)

By MartyD

Musty Antique Dresser

If your dresser actually has mold you will have to get rid of it or it will keep coming back. Wipe it down with bleach and let it air dry. Then put some bowls of baking soda in each drawer to absorb the odor. (12/28/2007)

By perfume and powder

Musty Antique Dresser

I agree with julez2u, mother nature works wonders, but since you are living in the north you will have to deal with the scent until the weather gets nice. Simply haul the piece outside on a nice dry sunny day. You could even spray with white vinegar and let the sun work. Then you might lightly sand and put on a coat of varnish. (12/29/2007)

By Mary

Musty Antique Dresser

I use charcoal, the kind for outdoor barbecues, to remove odors from a freezer. I'm sure it would work in the dresser. Just put some briquettes in each drawer. (01/03/2008)

By PICO

Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
🎄
🍂