My Clothes Don't Smell Good

I must have hard water. My clothes never smell clean. I don't want to put in some fragrance, it has to be the water. I need a filter or something. Anyone have any ideas?

NYYankee from NY

Answers:

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

I had a similar problem when we first moved into our new home. The home had a water softener system, and it seems like when we run out of salt in the filter, is when the odor starts reappearing in the washing machine and clothes. You may have a hard water problem that needs a water softener system. Good luck! (05/30/2006)

By Krys

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Borax. Add 1/2 cup of borax to your washing cycle, and you'll be amazed at the difference. This is an old, old remedy that my grandmother used to get the smell out of grampa's overalls that he wore day after day.

Also, line drying will help tremendously. (05/31/2006)

By susabelle

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

THis is a very oldtime great-grandma solution: Wash your clothes well in borax, add vinegar to the rinse, and immediately lay the clothes out on the grass in the sun to dry. It's amazing what the chlorophyl and fresh air will do. Odors usually disappear. THis was an old-fashioned way to brighten clothes gently as well. And has the added benefit of raising your neighbors' curiosity level to new heights. I've done it occasionally and it beats even line-drying for that totally fresh smell. (08/11/2006)

By maggie

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

Borax (I use that and washing soda for my washing PERIOD) and use vinegar in your rinse (like fab softner) No toxins and all products neutralize and deoderize (the washing soda disinfects! (08/12/2006)

By camo_angels

My Clothes Don't Smell Good

What is Borax and where can I buy it?

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) It is usually available in the laundry section of the grocery store, with the all fabric bleach and other additives. Look for 20 Mule Team Borax. It is different than Borateem. (08/15/2006)

By Anonymous