Browsing: Reusing Mylar Balloons

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Mylar balloons are made of durable material and are usually bright and colorful. There are lots of ways to recycle them into something new. This is a guide about new uses for mylar balloons.

Photo of three star shaped mylar balloons.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 5, 2010 Flag

Both of my kids recently had birthdays, complete with Mylar balloons. My friend was helping me clean up, and gave me this tip. Cut old Mylar balloons into squares and use to wrap small gifts for other birthday parties. Great idea, isn't it?

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

June 3, 2005 Flag

How do you reuse a giant mylar balloon?

Shena Anglin

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Shena,

Did you know they can be refilled? Otherwise, turn it upside down, cut into strips and hang from the ribbon in a tree. It will flutter in the breeze and remind you of the special reason you got the balloon in the first place. You can also use it as wrapping paper for a small gift. Enjoy!

Best Answer

Any store that sells balloons will usually refill the balloon for about .50 cents. They last a couple of weeks.

When you want to store it you can let it deflate naturally or put a pin hole in it and use a wooden hoop used for needle point and frame the balloon to display or just save and it keeps it's shape.

Best Answer

If you can't refill it you can use it to wrap a gift.

Trim the bottom of the sealed "spout". Refill with helium. Seal "spout" with a hot curling iron.

Read More Answers...

February 19, 2011 Flag

I thought I read here about other frugal uses for Mylar balloons?

It is very shiny and colorful.

By MotherShip from Chino Valley, AZ

Best Answer

Sandwich between two piece of clear adhesive backed vinyl like Mactac Seal firmly and squeeze our bubbles. Cut in the shape that fits best, leaving a small margin around the outside. Voila, place mats!

You can go to the search bar at the top-right corner of the home page and type in "mylar balloon uses" and see what comes up. I know people cut the mylar into two pieces (front and back) and use it for gift wrap. It is pretty, and durable! :)

June 13, 2007 Flag

Re-use old Mylar balloons by cutting out the outer balloon designs; tape next to, and around photos for scrap booking. You can also cut the balloon apart to make a background for the picture in a frame, or as a border around the picture. Use the inside, outside design, or both, for your creations. Many pictures can be decorated from one balloon.

April 16, 2012 Flag

If you have no other use for the deflated Mylar balloons, simply save them to be reinflated on another occasion. If you insert a straw at least 6-8 inches in length up into the hole where it was originally inflated, you can press out the remaining helium in order to store the balloons flat. The straw has to be inserted beyond the point of the interior "straw" which enables the pressure of the gases inside the balloon to seal the helium inside.

Once this point is passed, the remaining gas inside can be releases. Sometimes the opening of the inflate hole is semi-sealed with a sticky substance but carefully working the end of the straw up through that spot should be fairly easy. I've not seen a Mylar that I could not deflate entirely.

You can buy small helium tanks to reinflate them yourself or ask the local party store what they'd charge for helium only. Some won"t charge as much, others will charge almost as much as a new filled balloon, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Especially if you are buying additional supplies or additional balloons.

By Leslie

July 12, 2011 Flag

I have a few ideas for the shiny metallic-looking Mylar balloons that would otherwise go to a landfill: Cut them into one long continuous strip about 1/2 inch wide, and use them to crochet throw rugs, place mats, etc.

July 2, 2007 Flag

Save mylar balloons from any special occasion, round ones work best. Frame in embroidery hoop, just like you would cloth, dress hoop edge with ribbon, lace or any trim - just apply with hot glue gun or leave edge plain.

October 5, 2010 Flag

Whenever you receive those Mylar balloons for birthdays ,showers, etc, save them! Cut the "tail" off and carefully peel both sides apart at the seam. Then you will have 2 pieces of very pretty wrapping paper. They come in all shapes: circles, hearts, characters, etc. and are event appropriate: birthday, Valentine, shower, favorite characters, the list goes on.

They are great for those hard to wrap items. Just place gift in the middle and gather wrap over the top then use decorative ribbon the balloon came with to secure it; no tape needed! You can also wrap and tape an easy to wrap gift as well.

I found this tip out quite by accident when I forgot to buy wrapping paper for a gift and didn't realize until the last minute. Someone in our family had balloons left over from their birthday, and the sagging balloons caught my eye.

The gift recipient thought the wrapping was beautiful. You can get these balloons empty or filled at the dollar store. You can't go wrong with this one! God Bless!

By Crazy Amy from Rochester, NY

Answers:

Reuse Mylar Balloons As Gift Wrapping

This is a great idea! I love shiny wrapping paper, so it's a double win for me! (02/19/2010)

By WildIrish

October 20, 2009 Flag

Mylar balloons are expensive; so don't throw them out. You can use them again. Here's what I do when a Mylar balloon gets tired. I use a plastic drinking straw with one end trimmed into the shape of a fountain pen nib to help me let every bit of air escape. I insert it into the balloon through the base and up through the rubber gasket. Then I press out as much air as possible, remove the straw, and fold and store the balloon. My local grocery store will refill used balloons with helium for a quarter. Sometimes I inflate them like ordinary balloons, and other times I use them just partially filled as packing material when mailing boxes. They easily fill empty space in a box. No more Styrofoam peanuts!

By Kathy

Answers:

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Another use for these beauties is to use them as wrapping paper! Be careful to slice the bottom of the balloon and insert gift with tissue wrapped around it. It makes a beautiful one of a kind wrapping, and you were able to use it two times. Plus it's free wrapping. (02/05/2005)

By casaroble

Refill Mylar Balloons

Save your old mylar balloon and have the florist reinflate it for about .75 cents.

By Dede (05/20/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Refilling the Mylar balloons does not always work! If you are refilling it, is probably because it leaked in the first place.

Been there done that! (05/20/2005)

By Syd

Reusing Mylar Balloons

Here are the proper instructions for reusing a balloon.

Use a medium width drinking straw and insert it into the self sealing valve of the balloon. Once you get to the end of the sealing valve you will here a puff of air escape. Then slowly push the air out of the balloon. Before refilling a foil helium balloon you should remove all the helium from the balloon. The old helium inside will interfere with float times of the balloon.

One important note is to not use something like a pen or anything else hard to remove the helium. That risks stretching the balloons self sealing valve and therefore damaging the self sealing valve. You should be able to get many uses out of a mylar balloon if you following the proper instructions.
(11/29/2008)

Crafts Recycled CraftsJuly 12, 2011
ballon barrette
Making a Balloon Bouquet Barrette
Multi Colored Balloons
Saving Money on Balloons
Balloon Bean Bags
Making Balloon Bean Bags
Party Balloon Ideas
Party Balloon Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 2:13:53 AM on 10.0.0.124 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.