Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas

Category Baskets
Fill your gift basket for a friend or family member in a nursing home with useful and thoughtful gifts. This is a guide about nursing home gift basket ideas.

Our Ladies' Auxiliary likes to make little baskets for the Veterans in our nursing homes and have run out of ideas for items. Most of the Vets cannot have candy and lots are in bed most of the time. I am looking for suggestions of small things for them, no sharp objects like pins allowed. All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

By GrandmaS from MD

Best Answer

My mom is in a nursing home and they love magazines, books, newspapers and videos. I am taking a bunch of costume jewelry to the ladies. I also take my dogs to visit them and they love that more than anything. She is in a brain unit (dementia, Alzheimer's) and my dogs have gotten some of them that never speak to talk to us. How about arranging for some animal visits. My son takes his guitar and plays music for them. It isn't about things you can give them but things they might enjoy. And take a camera and share pictures on your next visit.

Best Answer

We do Christmas baskets every year for our nursing homes. We put lotions, combs, socks, toothbrushes/paste, fruit, etc.

Best Answer

I am a hospital nurse who worked in a nursing home for a year. I noticed that the residents love getting gifts, but what most of them crave is someone to spend time with them. Visitors are what they cherish. The adopt a grandparent program is phenomenal. They also rarely get outside to enjoy the fresh air. Of course, pending nursing home staff approval. Also, in addition to Christmas gifts and visits, these residents need to be remembered throughout the year. Elderly people have lived some very interesting lives, and each one is different. They are living history books, and need to be cherished.

Best Answer

I was also a nurse. This is a great answer. Don't just think of folks at holidays. There are many people who NEVER get a visitor.

How about some playing cards too? While it's probably not applicable, there was a great article recently in the American Legion magazine about disabled vets learning how to tie flies for fly fishing.

Crossword puzzles or puzzle books. c: Maybe little photo frames.

For the men shaving creams and lotions

For the women scarves or afghans (spelling?)

bibles

cds/tapes a lot of people would be willing to give away old tapes since most people use cds now

If they are able to take care of it maybe a small house plant (you might would have to ask the nursing home though).

sugar free candies

Anonymous

how about socks or gloves

Anonymous

What about having several people bring in bread machines and alternate breads types and butter/jelly to distribute and share together.

Anonymous

Mens lotions...most nursing home residents have very dry skin...body wipes.. CD of older music..usually a mix of old time rock and roll and country....from their time era.. Photo albums...