Options for Unjamming a Drawer

I have a very old (over 100yrs) antique mahogany sideboard. something has jammed inside one of the drawers and it won't open. The back of the sideboard is a solid whole wood panel (about 3ft by 4ft), the underside of the drawer where the drawer itself sits, is also a solid wood panel so taking out the drawer underneath is useless. How can I get the drawer to open (it only opens about 1/4 inch) completely to free whatever is jamming inside it without damaging it? It's a very valuable piece of furniture and short of taking it apart (which is not an option) I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions, please.

Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answers:

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

Slide a ruler into the gap and depress the item that is jamming the drawer! Hope this works.
(11/14/2007)

By Graham from Wales, U.K.

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

Yes, a yardstick or even a long metal file. You have to open the drawer as far as you can and pull out anything you can reach. Then put the long stick in and try to get it up over the top of what is stuck and then push it down. Good luck! (11/15/2007)

By Kathy

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

You get the idea of what to do from the other posters. However, I would use a wire clothes hanger, and untwist it until it is a long wire with the hook on one end. Be careful with it, since it can spring about and catch someone in the eye. (11/15/2007)

By the Oracle

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

I have used a pancake spatula or a long cake decorating smoothing knife (it's not sharp). Slide in carefully and you can usually press down what is catching the edge. (11/15/2007)

By EGGZ

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

As a last resort, remove everything from all the drawers you can open. Have someone strong help you move the sideboard away from the wall and gently lay it on its back, possibly even lift up the bottom edge while in this position, and gently shake and move it around. This could possibly cause whatever has jammed the drawer to move and might solve your problem. Or at least allow you to reach in and move what is in the way. This seems like a lot of work, but to me would be preferable to damaging the sideboard by prying on it. Good luck. Let us know if you manage to get it open. (11/16/2007)

By Grandma Margie

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

Grandma Margie, it worked! We put sideboard lying down on its back on the floor and what was jamming fell backwards so it was easy to open the drawer and get it out. It was an ornament in a box that had turned to an angle and jammed. Yes, you're right, how lovely it is that from my little Mediterranean island I can reach out to you so far away in America. The internet has drawbacks, but I personally think it brings people of the same ilk closer together if used wisely. Thank you so much for your advice. What a nice person you are. (11/22/2007)

By cett

Options for Unjamming a Drawer

I would try to use a thin, cheap nail file and finding out what is stuck. Then see if you can get it out with the nail file. Good luck. (11/24/2007)

By Jannie

Opening a Stuck Drawer
Opening a Stuck Drawer
A messy junk drawer.
Organizing Your Junk Drawer
Drawer Liner
Uses for Drawer Liner
Drawer Organizer
Desk Drawer Organizer Ideas
🎉
🎄