Orange Peels to Keep Cats Out of Plants

Put orange peels in your potted plants, cats hate the citrus smell. Replace every week when they start to get dry. Store the extras in the freezer in a plastic bag so that when you run out of oranges you'll still have the peels.

By Melmarr from Michigan

Answers:

Orange Peels to Keep Cats Out of Plants

A great idea! I wonder if that orange cleaner mixed with water might also work? It's totally safe around people and pets. You could mix some dish soap and spray the dirt and plants both, keeping bugs away from the plants.

We have 10 cats and I often use chicken wire [yep, got chickens too!] over the dirt of my garden plants, but most of my garden is in pots. Chicken wire probably wouldn't be so good in a large garden. (02/06/2009)

By Selah

Orange Peels to Keep Cats Out of Plants

Dollar stores sell small jars of room deodorizer that are orange or lemon scented. Open the top a bit, set the jar on the soil, in the flower pot. It keeps my 3 out of my plants. You can also scrape some out of the jars, put it on tinfoil, put it on floor behind the door they are always trying to get open. No more scratched up door there. (02/07/2009)

By mrs.joe