Uses for Citrus Peels

In addition to composting, citrus peels have a wide variety of uses around your home. This is a guide about uses for citrus peels.

When you use a lemon, don't throw away the peel. Put it in a baggy and toss it in the freezer. Then you will have it handy if you encounter a recipe that needs lemon zest.

Ideas for reusing Citrus Rinds. Post your ideas.

Whenever I peel a fragrant fruit such as an apple, lemon, orange, etc. I save the peelings to simmer on the stovetop. There are times when I cannot use them that day. So I have a bag in my freezer that I will save these peelings until I can use them. I add some whole cloves and sprinkle cinnamon into the mix when simmering with added water on the stovetop.

If I have an unpleasant odor in the microwave I will use the same mixture in a microwave-proof measuring cup and simmer it a bit. Let it stand in the microwave for a few minutes. Open the door, remove carefully, and wipe the inside dry. Leave door open to dry thoroughly.

By it's.only.me from NE PA USA

Grate lemon peel, lime peel, and orange peel when you buy those fruits on sale or any time. Allow the peel to dry on waxed paper. When fully dry, store in glass jars and label. Saves money by using these peels for flavorings when cooking or baking.

By Ron from Cortez, CO

I am moving from a house to an apartment. All is chaos. I just discovered I confused the laundry basket with the trash - only once. I found that the dirty clothes smelled great thanks to the dried out orange peel.

Make citrus oil to keep aphids, white flies, fire ants, and mosquitoes away! Soak the rinds of 2 orange peels in 1 gallon of water (closed) for about 10 days. Strain out the rinds/peels and store in mason jars until ready to use. If you will be applying to fire ant mounds, apply full strength. If spraying on plants, dilute 2 ounces of citrus oil with one gallon of water to avoid burning plants.

You'll be an organic gardener in no time.

Benjamin

If you have an open fire or a wood burning stove, throw orange and lemon peel in with the fuel and the room will be filled with a delicious smell.

By Lucy from England

Freeze the peel from oranges or lemon and later you can use it to flavor tea, coffee or cider.

By Robin from Washington, IA

The zest from lemons and oranges is used in a number of recipes, but it can also be used in homemade cleaning products. This is a guide about uses for orange zest.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Cauliflower will stay white if you add a small piece of lemon peel to the water while cooking

What are all the uses you can think of for orange and lemon peels?

Answers

Cut them up. Then sprinkle on ground to keep cats and dogs from using it for litter box.

Anonymous

If you have a garbage disposal, orange, lemon or any other citrus fruit, can be used as an economical and environmentally friendly alternative to the costly deodorizers many companies try to get you to purchase! - Lynn from NC

Anonymous

The other day I had leftover peel from about 4 oranges, and I chopped
it into medium size pieces and simmered it for air freshener. When you are done, run it thru the garbage disposal to freshen it up. - Patti

Anonymous

I save my peels and let them dry out, usually on the counter for a few days. Add some cloves, cinnamons sticks and whatever else you like.

I store them in pretty canning jars with a pretty lace top. When I need new potpourri, there it is. Just use a little of all and add water and plug in. Smells great! - Brenda

I have a zester which I use to regularly peel the zest off of all my citrus fruits. I leave the zest out over night and by the morning it is dry enough to place in the spice bottles I have for orange,lemon and lime peels. I use the zest in muffins, stir frys, cakes, stews, casseroles and pies. If you buy lemon zest in the store it is costly and likely to have preservatives you don't want or need.
Mrs Kathy Cohen

Anonymous

I use orange peel in with my stored brown sugar. It keeps the sugar moist and easy to use. - Bea in WI

Anonymous

I use my lemon peels to boil in my tea kettle - bring to a boil and let it sit for an hour (or longer) to dissolve the crud that often builds up on the bottom. If I have let it go for awhile I sometimes have to do a little scrubbing (with the peel) but then I know my kettle is clean and ready for some serious tea-drinking!

And for orange peels, I throw them in a pan and add a couple inches of water, along with cinnamon and cloves thrown in. Bring to a boil and then let simmer - the smell is heavenly! - Cindy

By Dave n champion (Guest Post)

Cook lemon peels and tomatoes. Tomatoes will smell great!

By Nina (Guest Post)

Use orange peels to rub onto your skin as a natural mosquito repellant.

Is it true that if you freeze a lemon whole you can grate it over your foods and get the best nutrition, as well, as anti cancer protection? Claims are the skin holds anti cancer protection similar to chemotherapy.

By Judie

Answers

I do freeze a whole lemon and I do grate the skin onto somethings.

Anonymous

Citrus peels of any type are high in antioxidents which scientists believe help contribute to protection against cancer but there's no guarantee it will stop cancer. Other things citrus peels contain help aid in lowering cholesteral and help contribute protection against diabetes. You do not have to freeze them in order to be able to grate them and you can freeze the gratings simply by placing them in zip lock bags with as much air removed as possible.

The fruit of citrus fruits must be specially prepared to freeze for the best results. Here's a link that will explain how (scroll down to Table 2 for instructions):
http://www.ext.  odnut/09331.html

As far as lemon peels having anti-cancer properties, I don't know, but I was very excited to hear on t.v. a week or so ago about about turmeric or cumin having serious anti-cancer properties! From what I understand, it attacks the cancer cells on 5 different levels, from the beginning stage to the end stage and 3 stages in between. You can generally get turmeric from WalMart on the vitamin isle. It is also as effective as ibuprofen in relieving pain, but with no side effects! I hope this helps.

Can one blend a whole lemon, both juice and back together, to drink? Is the lemon oil edible (the oil from the peel)?

By Barth

Answers

I did it before, because in gypsy culture you use it as a laxative and it works. But if you drink the whole lemon you will be going for days.