Paint Color Advice for a White and Gray Kitchen

I would like to paint my kitchen (again). I'm not sure what color to go with. I have white cabinets, gray countertops, white trim and chair rail, and gray floors. My kitchen has doors that lead into the living room and dining room that are painted a toffee crunch color. I painted it a very bright yellow and really don't like it. Any suggestions?

Judy from Bellingham, MA

Answers:

Use a light sage green for the kitchen and a darker sage green for the dining room. (11/19/2008)

By perfume and powder

I'd like to suggest bringing in 2 additional colors. One would be the dominant and the other, the accent. Since you have gray and white, how about using a paint swatch that has shades of reds, turquoises or greens. My other thought is to choose (for instance), a color like brick red and then use something as an accent color. You might want to stay with the pastels instead of the warm bold colors, or vice versa.

However, a quick trip to the paint store's swatch department will be a great help. Consider the gray and white to be neutrals, so try ignoring them and selecting a color scheme you enjoy instead of trying to match. The next suggestion is to leave the yellow where it is and think about adding a whitewash of sorts to tone it down.

My last suggestion is to go with the flow and pretend you love the yellow color and add large pictures with screaming colors that match the yellow. The pictures you now have are too small for any color. (11/19/2008)

By cookwie

Match chair cushions and a table runner to go with the loud colors in the large pictures. I guarantee this will tone down the buttercrunch yellow and is a lot more fun than re-painting.

How about a series of pictures (even small ones). What you need to do is to cover up empty wall space. (11/19/2008)

By cookwie

I would go with a muted cadet blue or muted purple color. (11/19/2008)

By bina2j

I agree with the sage color but staying with the same color for both rooms as it will flow better. When dyeing material, as I do, sage actually is in the grayed color family. How would your wood work look painted to match the toffee crunch of your doors? Wouldn't that blend better or not? Since I don't know really what that toffee crunch might look like, I wanted to put that out there. Or, better still, paint the door white to go with the woodwork and chair rail. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with. (11/19/2008)

By themuffster

My recommendation would be red. A warm tomato red. It would compliment the toffee colour in the adjoining rooms, add warmth to the grey and white (cold colours), plus for any dining area, red is the colour that stimulates the appetite.

As for the picture; from the floor to the centre of the picture is the general rule.

Have fun, and think about the red; I guarantee it will look quite fab. (11/19/2008)

By Hedera

I would go with a beige or sand color something neutral or very pale colors that would compliment the counters. Go to your local paint or home improvement store and pick out a gray color that matches your counters. Then pick up all the paint chips you like that look good with the gray chip and take them home put it against the counter. See which one you like best. Good luck. (11/22/2008)

By candleglows

Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice
🎉
🎄