Paint Color Advice to Tone Down an Orange Cast on Cabinets

We don't have enough money to get new cabinets, nor do we have the time to sand and restain (2 kids under 3!). Our cabinets are oak and stained a pecan color. I don't like how they appear a bit "orangey" looking.

What color would work well on the wall to pull the darker tones out of the cabinets and "mask" the orange a bit? A dark brown? Tan? Light creamy green? I'm scared to paint because I don't want the cabinets to appear any more orange.

By Amanda

Go with a color opposite on the color wheel. This is "gray" the appearance of the color somewhat. Or don't refinish the entire cabinet, try just the doors or the frame space between them, but I would put up some color chips first. If you are limited on time, here is a trick I have used. Using colored pencils or crayons, match the color of the cabinets. Then color other pieces of paper colored the colors you are considering. Or get paint chips and do the same thing. For best results, do this mix and match in the kitchen itself so the lighting will be the same. Good luck.

This will not help you to choose a color but I can tell you that the orangey tone on your cabinets comes from using a poly varnish that is oil based. Always use a water based varnish and you will have no problem. I think Chloe's suggestion is good. I would think a green along the sage lines might look good.

I would think a green shade might work, too. I know that a green concealer works on skin to cover up a red pimple or sore, so it might work to counteract the orange shade.

Any shade of brown will only contrast with the orange shade of your cabinets making it more obvious. Actually going with a color in the orange family like light peach will make the cabinets look more brown. Home Depot and paint stores offer to mix a small jar of paint as a sample for you to try.

Painting Kitchen With Orangish Oak Cabinets
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceJune 5, 2011
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
🎉
🎄