Painting Kitchen With Orangish Oak Cabinets

What wall color goes with very rich (orangish) golden colored oak kitchen cabinets? I have tried Nantucket Gray (BM paint) and other muted gray greens and they look horrible. I do not know what to do because I have stripped my wall paper and need to paint.

Laurie from Saint Louis

Answers:

Try white walls with a wallpaper border that has a touch of the oak color in it. Or, if you want more color on the walls try a soft subtle melon paint. (08/12/2008)

By Lorelei

Have you considered changing the color of the cabinets? It's easier than you might think. I also had golden oak cabinets. I lightly sanded them, stained them with a darker stain, and added a coat of polyurethane. It was a lot easier than painting them. It looks like a whole new kitchen! (08/13/2008)

By Jean from Raymond, MS

Try a "dusty" green or muted green. It will tone down that orangy color. Look at the color wheel opposite the orange and you'll see the complimentary color. Look right next to orange and you'll see variations that will work.
Good luck! (08/13/2008)

By Melanie

Instead of buying paint in grayish tones, which are the cooler colors, I would look for paint in the warmer tones. Bring home a bunch of paint chips ranging in colors from yellow to melon (as the previous writer suggested) to the different shades of tan or brown to the reds and burgundies. Even some shades of green are in the warmer tones. Then see which paint chip looks better next to your cabinets (08/13/2008)

By Patty Lynn

If you look at paint chips in shades of melon and peach, get the lightest on the chart which is a soft hue of the strongest color. (08/13/2008)

By Lorelei

I thought that maybe a mocha or taupe color may work. (08/13/2008)

By Denise

Our oak cabinets look good with walls that are a very pale yellow, almost a cream color. We wallpapered the back-splash area (one wall behind the sink and stove) with a "faux marble" pattern with shades of dark red, copper and gold. I really love the combination of the oak and dark red, although I wouldn't want it on all the walls, just as an accent color. (08/13/2008)

By ChloeA

How about a very pale blue. (08/13/2008)

By Lily May

Write down the color number/name and take it to the paint store and look at the paint charts they have available. If you look at the lighter shades of a color, you may find one you think compliments your cabinets, provides brightness and is still soft. A worker may help you with finding that perfect shade you're looking for.

Another idea is to paint one wall say in a red-orange or a strong peach color and the other three white. The solid bold colored wall bounces onto the white and provides a tint of the bold color which adds softness, provides brightness, light, emphasis and is clean looking too. (08/16/2008)

By Lorelei

Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄