Painting Laminate Flooring

Category Flooring
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Over time laminate flooring can become dull, chipped, and scratched. Rather than having to replace all of your flooring at great expense, painting may be a cheaper compromise solution. This is a guide about painting laminate flooring.

Has anyone painted old laminate flooring? The previous owner placed ugly old style fake wood laminate flooring in the kitchen, which abuts real wood flooring in the dining room in this kitchen dining combo. It looks terrible and I can't afford to replace it. I am thinking of painting and sealing it. Any suggestions? I've also thought of tearing it up with the hope that there is badly stained wood flooring that I could paint, but this might reveal a worse nightmare.

Claire from Harrisonburg, VA

HI..I would check hgtv.com or diy.com...they have several ideas on refinishing floors....seems the latest craze is using plywood squares cut in even sizes from a full sheet of plywood and nailed to the floor, then stain or paint whatever color you want...follow up with a polyurathane sealer. Check there first though...I might have over-simplified things...lol. Hope this helps.

Try sanding it with coarse steel wool, then painting

with white Epoxy paint with plenty of fresh air during the LONG drying time.

This is shown in a number of magazines lately, I've noticed, and it's quite nice but makes a floor seem like in an old house, if you like that. I don't since I have a Contemporary home, but I might try the cheap laminated wood flooring I found by the boxloads, not permanently attaching to the floor. I'll try it in a bathroom first.

I was VERY surprised that after leaving some big samples of that sort of flooring out in the rain and sun for six months, it didn't warp or buckle. God bless you.

Do not paint it. You will have nothing but trouble. The best case is to sand and refinish it with oil base polyurethane. You can also screen it and coat it if there are no heavy scratches into the wood. My husband lays, sands, and refinishes wood flooring. E-mail me if u have any question. elizabeth_t_hayes AT Yahoo,com

Hey Claire. Did anyone ever actually answer the question of how to paint a laminate floor? Or did you find the info elsewhere? I would love to hear if you did!

Has anyone accomplished this yet? I just did counter tops and they are awesome. So this has to be something that can be done? ANYONE?