Installing Laminate Flooring

Category Flooring
Laminate flooring has become quite popular with both builders and home owners. It can be less expensive than other flooring and is relatively easy to install, following a few simple steps. This is a guide about installing laminate flooring.

I moved into a house which I am buying. I am living alone except for my critters and recently it has been a challenge. A section of square, pre-glued linoleum came loose from the dining room floor. Then several more loosened and came up. Underneath the flooring appears to be particle board?! It has pieces of sawdust material, and when I swept it, the pieces kept loosening.

What do I do? The flooring pieces say not to put them on top of particle board. The rest of my house has lovely wooden flooring but not this section of the house. Can something be painted over it to seal it and then linoleum or indoor outdoor carpeting put in it? I cannot afford to have a new floor. Advice please?

Thanks so much!
Michele

Answers

Best Answer

My sister-in-law has the same problem. She does not have one "do-it-yourself" bone in her body, yet she chose to rip up old carpeting and then apply self-adhesive tile to her particle board floor! We wish she had asked for our input before doing this project. If it were my project I would have thoroughly swept/vacuumed the floor and then painted it with any oil based enamel type paint or polyurethane. It may have needed two coats to seal it well. Then when it was completely dry I would have applied the tiles. In your case......you can buy and use the adhesive that is used for non-adhesive tile. If you brush or vacuum away all the loose particles it should "stick" them securely. Just don't use too much of the adhesive or it will ooze out between the tile seams and make a mess! You could just "glue" the tiles that are coming loose with the adhesive, or you could see if all the tiles will pop off easily. A spatula or wide putty knife would be good to use for that. If all the tiles are easily lifted you could start at one end of the room and gradually lift, sweep off the loose particles and "glue" each tile down......maybe row by row? That's probably what I'd do as I have more time than I have money! Good Luck on your project.

Best Answer

Cover particle board (once vacuumed and clean) with thin (1/4" or more) plywood (luan). this is a general practice for installing new flooring over ANYTHING lumpy bumpy. Tough and smooth. Make sure the joints are butted well, no gaps.

I have a ceramic floor in my kitchen which is installed under the cabinets also. I have been thinking about putting a laminate floor down since I hate the ceramic tiles. Can the laminate floor be installed over the tiles? It would not be possible to remove the tiles under the cabinets. Thanks for your advice.

Andrea from New York

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

We're installing laminate wood in different rooms of the house. The manufacturer said it would not be good for kitchens or bathrooms. There is too much moisture.

Can laminate flooring be installed over particle board?

By Debbie

Answers

Best Answer

Yes you can. Not all flooring is or needs to be glued down. I have a floating laminate wood flooring (no glue). It can be your choice which way you want to go.

We purchased a mobile 2 years ago, and decided to put different flooring in the living room. We started to take up the rug that is there, and noticed there are bricks down. We haven't pulled the whole rug up yet, just because we're not sure what to do next. We wanted a laminate floor put in.

The floor does feel uneven in some spots. There doesn't appear to be any particle board or wood of any type down, but we haven't pulled up the whole rug. What would you suggest our next move should be?

Answers

I would put a wood subfloor underneath to even it out, and then put the laminate

I have never heard of a mobile home having brick flooring so this is a mystery to me but perhaps the mobile home is stationary and the previous owner did something like this(?)..
If there is a brick floor then it would stand to reason that it must have a sub-floor underneath the brick.
If you feel the floor is stable and still want to put laminate you may have to add a subfloor if the bricks are uneven. There is also some types of laminate foor covering that has a foam backing that might could be used.

I think you should take some pictures and pay a visit to a couple of floor covering companies and ask their advice.

Is it real brick, or a brick tile? If you get to much weight, the floor will buckle. If you remove it, you need to consider the thickness as you may end up with doors to short. Do you have a picture of it?

Can you share your thoughts about what to consider when installing the laminate flooring into the home?

By Ben

Answers

We have had "Pergo" type laminate flooring in our house for several years. My recommendation would be to buy an extra box for "repairs" and avoid using it in areas that may get wet. While technically you can replace a section of damaged laminate, the "colors" change frequently so when you do need to make a repair, chances are they won't have the exact type that you used.

The laminate looks great in the dining area and entry but has buckled around the toilet in the bathrooms due to a couple little boys with poor aim (gross) and we've had to be very careful around the showers. In the kitchen, we had a hose go out in our fridge that created a small leak and damaged the floor beyond repair (the top layer of the laminate buckled).

Since we used laminate in the entire level of the house and couldn't find a match we ended up tiling our kitchen rather than having a different type of laminate in the middle (A friend that had a similar problem due to a dog accident smack in the middle of their living room and is stuck keeping it covered with a rug).

If I were to do it again, I'd have saved up and used real tile instead in the kitchen and bathrooms.

If you do the job yourself, make sure to follow the installation instructions and leave the recommended space near the walls for expansion and contraction. We bought a small, second house and the contractor that did the updating on it left no space along either the sides of the boards or the ends and we had a lot of buckling. Portions of the flooring had to be taken up and reinstalled. We also put down the "T" strips in doorways to resolve this problem.

Additionally, I also agree with Stephanie, do not use laminate flooring in any room that can get wet. Some manufacturers say it is okay to install this type of flooring in kitchens, but the salesperson at a local big box store strongly recommended against using it there.

I have this type flooring in my home; it was here when I bought it. Only thing I can tell you is I'd rather have carpet. The floor is beautiful but shows everything. I could get by with vacuuming once a week when I had carpet but every day I've having to sweep. Seems every time a door is opened or someone walks in there is something else to get up. I'm a senior living with a short haired dog that always goes outside to do his thing.

Can you install a click and lock laminate wood flooring over ceramic tile?

By DW

Answers

Anonymous

This is something you should ask the company who manufactures the flooring. You should be able to find their customer service 800 number at their online site contact link.

I would think the grooves between the tiles underneath would cause problems with the flooring over time. They most likely will tell you that you need a smooth flooring under the laminate/wood.

By DW

We are laying laminate flooring. The flooring has a foam backing. The subfloor has some minor imperfections. How perfect does the subfloor need to be?

By Mike from Laurel, MD

Answers:

Installing Laminate Flooring

The most common flooring surface that laminate flooring is installed over is the concrete slab. If the concrete slab is not flat the end result will be your laminate flooring "creaking". It is therefore vital that you check your concrete slab for flatness.

Don't think that the flooring underlay will take up too many of the dips or bumps in the slab, it won't. This really is the most important job in the whole installation process. Please take your time at this stage, it will pay dividends in the long run. Good luck. (03/22/2010)

By kffrmw88

Installing Laminate Flooring

I am not positive, but I think there is flooring mud you can use to fill those imperfections. I would think that the place you purchased the flooring from would be able to tell you what to use and how to use it. (03/23/2010)

By Deeli

How do you install laminate flooring?

Betty from TX

Answers:

Installing Laminate Flooring

I am in the process on putting new laminate wood floors in my kitchen. I was a little intimidated, so I went to Home Depot. I went to one of their free classes. I was the only one there and got complete 1 on 1 attention. Every silly question I had got answered. They also didn't push me to the "expensive" items. (09/25/2007)

By Lionkat2