Painting Over Chrome

Category Other
Closeup of Chrome
When you want to paint instead of polishing this metal surface, there are a few things to keep in mind. This guide is about painting over chrome.

I'd like to know the proper technique to paint over chrome.

Captnronoh from Toledo, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Honestly, painting over chrome doesn't have to be very costly. All you have to do is go to any home improvement store (Lowes is the most reliable) and talk to one of the paint specialists. Instead of using sand paper, you'll need to get a finishing pad to rough up the surface of the chromed metal you are wanting to paint over. Then, you'll want to buy a high performance spray paint for metal (like Rustoleum) to then spray on to the surface that's going to be painted. I've personally done this for marching band. We had to re-spray the rims of our drums black (they were previously chromed) and the only places where the paint chipped off was where the rims themselves were hit from doing rim shots. Other than that, the rims get painted every four years.

I just bought a bike from a friend and it is chrome. I want to know the best way to prep the chrome to paint over it.

Charlie from Staunton, IL

Sand it with fine to medium grit sand paper (get the kind they use for metal from a hardware store)

After sanding it and roughing up the chrome - prime then paint.

Also you can use acid on the chrome to roughen up (also available @ the hardware store) then use a neutralizer for the acid, wash, dry, prime and paint -

You can use an application of TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). Use with very warm to hot water. This application is used to paint glass, so it should have no problems on chrome (do a small test area). TSP is available in the Paint Dept.

I wanted to paint the lugs of my drum set chrome to black. First, I have to take them off individually from their shells. Do I have to have them individually sanded before painting? You can just imagine I'm dealing with at least 80 small chrome items or maybe more. What's the easiest way to do this? I know spray painting them is a lot easier than going through the pain of sanding them individually. Please help.

By Hubert from Seattle, WA

I Will Like To Do The Same Thing

So What Did You End Up Doing

Thanks

I've found a couple of old fashioned chrome bar stools. The chrome is pitted and rusted. I would like to paint them. What would be the easiest way?

By Norma Z

Request:

This is the first time I have visited your website, so I hope you can answer my question. I am planning to purchase this vintage bread box from ebay that is white with chrome door and I cannot find a total matching canister set but saw an all chrome canister set that might match if I painted part of it white to match the bread box. So my question is, can I paint over chrome? And if so, what kind of paint would I buy? Thank you, and hope you can help.

Bluraindrop

Answers:

You can paint just about any surface IF

you prepare it correctly. A coat of primer is a must when painting metal or plastic. You can get primer at any store that sells paint! :)

Post by voni

Painting Over Chrome

no, you will not get paint or normal primers to stay on chrome, it will just fall of when dry, before you apply primer & top coat, a chrome surface needs a coat of "2pack etch" which is poisonous & best left to professionals.

Post by pc

Painting Over Chrome

Sand blasting also works and it is nontoxic and cheeper to remove the chrome and leave the bear metal to paint.

Post by JIM BOB OWENS