Painting Over Chrome

When you want to paint instead of polishing this metal surface, there are a few things to keep in mind. This guide is about painting over chrome.

Filter Sort

Question: Painting Over Chrome

By Ron Stormer 1

I'd like to know the proper technique to paint over chrome.

Captnronoh from Toledo, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

June 29, 2008Best Answer

Honestly, painting over chrome doesn't have to be very costly. All you have to do is go to any home improvement store (Lowes is the most reliable) and talk to one of the paint specialists. Instead of using sand paper, you'll need to get a finishing pad to rough up the surface of the chromed metal you are wanting to paint over. Then, you'll want to buy a high performance spray paint for metal (like Rustoleum) to then spray on to the surface that's going to be painted. I've personally done this for marching band. We had to re-spray the rims of our drums black (they were previously chromed) and the only places where the paint chipped off was where the rims themselves were hit from doing rim shots. Other than that, the rims get painted every four years.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting a Chrome Bike

By charlie 1

I just bought a bike from a friend and it is chrome. I want to know the best way to prep the chrome to paint over it.

Charlie from Staunton, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cajun 59 327 Flag

You can use an application of TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). Use with very warm to hot water. This application is used to paint glass, so it should have no problems on chrome (do a small test area). TSP is available in the Paint Dept.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting Chrome on a Drum Set

By Hubert 1

I wanted to paint the lugs of my drum set chrome to black. First, I have to take them off individually from their shells. Do I have to have them individually sanded before painting? You can just imagine I'm dealing with at least 80 small chrome items or maybe more. What's the easiest way to do this? I know spray painting them is a lot easier than going through the pain of sanding them individually. Please help.

By Hubert from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Delle 1 Flag

I Will Like To Do The Same Thing

So What Did You End Up Doing

Thanks

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Painting a Chrome Bar Stool

I've found a couple of old fashioned chrome bar stools. The chrome is pitted and rusted. I would like to paint them. What would be the easiest way?

By Norma Z

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Closeup of Chrome
Home and Garden Repair OtherAugust 15, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Paint Roller Putting Teal Paint on Wall
Cleaning Paint Rollers
Polished Chrome on Classic Car
Polishing Chrome
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:46:26 AM on 10.0.1.49 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings