Browsing: Painting Over Chrome

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting Over Chrome

When you want to paint instead of polishing this metal surface, there are a few things to keep in mind. This guide is about painting over chrome.

Closeup of Chrome
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 21, 2006 Flag

I'd like to know the proper technique to paint over chrome.

Captnronoh from Toledo, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Honestly, painting over chrome doesn't have to be very costly. All you have to do is go to any home improvement store (Lowes is the most reliable) and talk to one of the paint specialists. Instead of using sand paper, you'll need to get a finishing pad to rough up the surface of the chromed metal you are wanting to paint over. Then, you'll want to buy a high performance spray paint for metal (like Rustoleum) to then spray on to the surface that's going to be painted. I've personally done this for marching band. We had to re-spray the rims of our drums black (they were previously chromed) and the only places where the paint chipped off was where the rims themselves were hit from doing rim shots. Other than that, the rims get painted every four years.

So, did you try and what was the result. The answers you received were very conflicting. If you are pleased with the outcome, please tell me what method and product you used. I want to paint kitchen faucets and it will HAVE to be tough.

Thanks

June 4, 2008 Flag

I just bought a bike from a friend and it is chrome. I want to know the best way to prep the chrome to paint over it.

Charlie from Staunton, IL

Sand it with fine to medium grit sand paper (get the kind they use for metal from a hardware store)

After sanding it and roughing up the chrome - prime then paint.

Also you can use acid on the chrome to roughen up (also available @ the hardware store) then use a neutralizer for the acid, wash, dry, prime and paint -

You can use an application of TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). Use with very warm to hot water. This application is used to paint glass, so it should have no problems on chrome (do a small test area). TSP is available in the Paint Dept.

March 3, 2007 Flag

I wanted to paint the lugs of my drum set chrome to black. First, I have to take them off individually from their shells. Do I have to have them individually sanded before painting? You can just imagine I'm dealing with at least 80 small chrome items or maybe more. What's the easiest way to do this? I know spray painting them is a lot easier than going through the pain of sanding them individually. Please help.

By Hubert from Seattle, WA

I Will Like To Do The Same Thing

So What Did You End Up Doing

Thanks

Home and Garden Repair OtherAugust 15, 2013
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Paint Roller Putting Teal Paint on Wall
Cleaning Paint Rollers
Polished Chrome on Classic Car
Polishing Chrome
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:55:33 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.