Painting Over Chrome

Category Other
When you want to paint instead of polishing this metal surface, there are a few things to keep in mind. This guide is about painting over chrome.

I'd like to know the proper technique to paint over chrome.

Captnronoh from Toledo, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Honestly, painting over chrome doesn't have to be very costly. All you have to do is go to any home improvement store (Lowes is the most reliable) and talk to one of the paint specialists. Instead of using sand paper, you'll need to get a finishing pad to rough up the surface of the chromed metal you are wanting to paint over. Then, you'll want to buy a high performance spray paint for metal (like Rustoleum) to then spray on to the surface that's going to be painted. I've personally done this for marching band. We had to re-spray the rims of our drums black (they were previously chromed) and the only places where the paint chipped off was where the rims themselves were hit from doing rim shots. Other than that, the rims get painted every four years.

So, did you try and what was the result. The answers you received were very conflicting. If you are pleased with the outcome, please tell me what method and product you used. I want to paint kitchen faucets and it will HAVE to be tough.

Thanks

I just bought a bike from a friend and it is chrome. I want to know the best way to prep the chrome to paint over it.

Charlie from Staunton, IL

Sand it with fine to medium grit sand paper (get the kind they use for metal from a hardware store)

After sanding it and roughing up the chrome - prime then paint.

Also you can use acid on the chrome to roughen up (also available @ the hardware store) then use a neutralizer for the acid, wash, dry, prime and paint -

You can use an application of TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). Use with very warm to hot water. This application is used to paint glass, so it should have no problems on chrome (do a small test area). TSP is available in the Paint Dept.

I've found a couple of old fashioned chrome bar stools. The chrome is pitted and rusted. I would like to paint them. What would be the easiest way?

By Norma Z

I wanted to paint the lugs of my drum set chrome to black. First, I have to take them off individually from their shells. Do I have to have them individually sanded before painting? You can just imagine I'm dealing with at least 80 small chrome items or maybe more. What's the easiest way to do this? I know spray painting them is a lot easier than going through the pain of sanding them individually. Please help.

By Hubert from Seattle, WA

I Will Like To Do The Same Thing

So What Did You End Up Doing

Thanks