Browsing: Painting Over Wallpaper

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Painting Over Wallpaper

Wallpaper can be very difficult to remove throughly, especially if there is more then one layer of it. Painting over old wallpaper is sometimes the best option. This is a guide about painting over wallpaper.

Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 1, 2015 Flag

I am attempting to paint over wallpaper flaws with the same color flat paint. The cream color, where painted, has a bluish shadow. Nothing works! One person said to paint the paper with a dark brown color and after cream paint was applied, it still has the blue shadow. Even bleach will not help. Lowe's does not have the paper anymore since it is at least 10 years old. Any suggestions would be much appreciated by not having to do all rooms!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just got off the phone from a very nice CSR at Lowe's Corporate Office. He said he has never heard of anything like this, & cannot figure out how the cream color paint is showing a bluish hue color from the repair patches over the original 10 year old vinyl wallpaper. (Guess I win the prize for that.) We live very close to our Lowe's store & we have exhausted every delimma possible of finding a 'cause/remedy' effect from this project. He said the Kilz, tinted primer we also tried as a remedy should have taken care of the problem from painting the little flaws & dings on the wallpaper that occurs over a 10 year old time frame. Maybe a second attempt at this puzzling & challenging problem will finally have a successful outcome. I will be doing a "Happy Dance" & hopefully be able to post the results of it online.

My husband took a left-over piece wallpaper & went to our Gibsons' Ace Hardware. A nice man that has many years of paint related experience & knowledge suggested to my husband to always use Kilz oil based...for every project involving paint related projects. He said he never uses regular Kilz on any project. After he matched the paint 'cream color' of the wallpaper that we had from a left-over small sample, he seems he has a very close color we needed for 'patch' of scuffs, etc., that might occur. He reiterated that he never uses regular Kilz, & he only uses Kilz oil based. He has been painting for over 25 years & has seen everything...except for mine! Once again, I "get the prize" for finding a solution that only I could have started. He suggested to let the Kilz dry for 24 hrs., then apply the paint over the wallpaper flaws & let it dry for another 24 hrs. as well. If this is the remedy that we are hoping for, I am crossing my fingers for a successful outcome & my "Happy Dance" will be soon....

Read More Answers...

July 24, 2011 Flag

Can I paint sheetrock with wallpaper already on it?

By Flo

Best Answer

As other posters have said, if the wallpaper is in good shape you can paint over it-I have many times. I've even pulled off the 'came off easy' stuff (bubbled, peeling, etc), sanded the edges smooth, and applied a sponge effect paint job to camouflage the slightly uneven surfaces. Doing that saved me trying to get the 'there forever' stuff off, and looked pretty good. :)

The thing to be sure of is the type of wallpaper you are trying to paint over-is it paper, cloth, vinyl? Is it textured? All of those factors make a difference-painting over a textured wallpaper of any composition will only make the wallpaper a different colour-the paint WON'T fill in the textures to make it a smooth flat surface, for example. Painting over vinyl means using a different sort of paint than you would over most paper or cloth wallpapers-read the paint label to be sure it will adhere to the surface you are trying to paint.

I also suggest using a high quality primer appropriate to the material of the wallpaper as this will act as a slight fill if you've had to do fine sanding to blend edges where you've removed a bit of peeling paper. It will also neutralize any possible grease or other stain, and will prevent bleed-through of the wallpaper design you are trying to cover.

GrammyV has a good thought going-you might think about testing a small area first to make sure the paper is strong to enough to support the paint. Even applied in thin coats, wet paint will possibly do just what she warns about. This would happen in an older house with wallpaper dating back to the late Sixties; vinyl wallpaper became popular after that and it became REALLY popular in the Eighties.

And lol, if you get good at it, you can make spare money with your newly acquired skills-I did:)

Be sure and use an oil based paint for the 1st coat, and than you can use any paint. A water based paint will cause some papers to become loose. Try to pull it off if you can, usually it comes off easy. If not good luck with the paint.

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2011 Flag

Do you use an oil base paint or latex when painting over wallpaper?

By Bonnie from Cedar Rapids, IA

Best Answer

Use an oil primer with a latex paint topcoat. The use of the oil primer is generally recommended because the wallpaper paste is a waterborne product so using a latex could lift the paper which can lead to a bigger problem. They make several products now days that are quick dry oils to speed up the process (at Sherwin-Williams it is the multipurpose oil primer, dry time 1Hr). Then once the surface is secure the latex is a more friendly topcoat.

I asked my husband, who is a professionally trained union painter for more than 35 years. He agrees with Bac.

Read More Answers...

August 14, 2011 Flag

I have to paint over wallpaper, I have no choice. I tried a steamer and every wall paper remover made by man; it's not happening. Any successful suggestions?

By Denise

Best Answer

You sure can paint over stubborn wallpaper! Use a fine grit sand paper to smooth any edges from bits you have been able to remove, then use a coat of a good quality primer to keep any pattern colour or bold lines from bleeding, then paint away-use a roller for a smooth application, or a brush if the paper is textured.

Some wall papers are very hard to remove. Usually scoring the paper will let the walll paper remover in behind the paper to do the job. As for painting I would ask the paint folks at a home center or paint company for their suggestions before I made too much of a mess.

Read More Answers...

June 28, 2013 Flag

I have some "very expensive at the time" textured wallpaper (hung by a professional) that's a light blue color. I'm wondering if I can simply paint over it to update the color?

By Pat from Oak Lawn, IL

I have never done so, but I have seen it done many times on the TV decorating shows. You must make sure that it is not a vinyl wallpaper, as paint will not stick to that without special prep. My sister in law lived in a very old house and actually papered over the walls with plain white textured paper, and then painted; it was apparently what the wallpaper was intended for. However, I wonder why you would not remove the wallpaper. I think it is not too hateful a job to take it off the wall, if you have the right products and equipment, but I think it would be a nightmare to get it off after it was painted over. Just asking.

You can paint over it. But you will then not be able to remove it without great difficulty. Most wallpaper just peels off. If you decide to paint use a paint that is not water based, and know that whoever has to peel the painted wallpaper will resent you forever.

Read More Answers...

March 14, 2007 Flag

I have white cabinets with peach hardware, peach wallpaper, white trim, peach laminate countertops and dark brick color linoleum floor tile. I want to paint the wallpaper. I am not sure what color would go with the existing countertop? The rest of the house is softer tan and macadamia (sherwin williams) paint. Any advice would help?

Laks

I have painted over wallpaper and it looked beautiful! That is until I had to use the vaporizer. I woke up and all the wallpeper was laying on the floor or hanging down. The paint had been done 5 years earlier too! At least I knew how to remove the rest of the wallpaper!

I love your kitchen the way it is, but can understand you might just be tired of it. I know it's a bit outdated now, but I've always loved the blue/peach combination--it has to be the right shade of blue though, a real light powder blue doesn't work, it has to be a bit darker to look right. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

November 28, 2013 Flag

How do I get rid of air bubbles that have occured after painting over wallpaper? Also the paint has dried and the bubbles haven't gone. I would appreciate your help.

By Rose B

Why, oh why, did you paint over wallpaper? That was your first mistake. I would scrape it all off and start over, but if you don't want to do that, take a sharp x-acto knife and make a small slit in the bubble. Insert a small bit of wallpaper adhesive with a toothpick. Press down on bubble. Let it dry completely, then repaint.

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingAugust 24, 2011
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 27, 2016 at 5:50:46 AM on 10.0.2.225 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.