Papillon Breed Information and Photos

Category Papillon
Papillon sitting in the grass.
A popular house pet and traveling companion, these small dogs have an elegant, dignified appearance, and are very fastidious and affectionate. This guide contains papillon breed information and photos.

Breed Description: Papillions are small, fine-boned dogs with a long flowing coat, lively, dainty gait and large, butterfly-like ears. This breed was a popular companion to aristocrats and has an elegant, dignified appearance. It is a meticulously clean, highly affectionate and makes an excellent house pet and traveling companion.

Group: Toy Group

Purpose of Breed: Companion

Country of Origin: France

Average Size: Ranges from 8 to11 inches and 3 to 9 pounds.

Color(s): Part-colored or white coats with patches of any other color.

Coat Type: Coats are long, fine, silky and flowing.

Grooming: The Papillion's soft, glossy coat is easy to maintain, but needs daily grooming to stay in top condition. This breed requires standard care for pads and nails. Eyes and ears should be examined regularly for problems. Ear fringe should groomed frequently and kept from matting.

Exercise Needs: The Papillion is a good choice for apartment living as long it gets a moderate amount of exercise and sufficient playtime. They do not always realize the limits of their small size, Papillions are good jumpers and should prevented from leaping off of tall objects-especially as puppies.

Temperament: The Papillion is an intelligent, easy to train breed that is affectionate and playful. This breed should be kept away from small children and large pets who may rough-house and cause it accidental harm. The Papillion gets along with all the family members and pets. They are not nervous or high strung, but can be a bit bossy. Their large ears serve to alert them of the faintest sound, making them good watchdogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to patella luxatiois (problems with the knees) and progressive retinal atrophy.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-15 years.

Trivia: Papillion is French for "butterfly."

More Information: Papillion Club of America, Inc.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Radar is 3 years and 2 weeks old. He is a Papillon. We bought him at 12 weeks from a breeder in East Texas. He likes to jump, run in circles and does many tricks.

He is the smartest pet we have ever had. I will always have a Papillon due to their darling personalities and brilliance!

By TexasLiz from Cleburne Texas

Radar (Papillon)

Comment Like this photo? 5

Noodles is my 7 year old Papillon. I adopted Noodles from a rescue center July 2012. Noodles loves to play with his tennis ball. He is a smart, loving, well trained dog.

By Macie4 from Walnut Creek, CA

Noodles looking up at camera.

Comment Like this photo? 6

Lucky Lucy of Fjelle B or simply Lucy was born on June 24,1003. She is now 7 years old. Lucy is a bubbly Papillon type of dog. Lucy was given to us by my cousin who has immigrated to UK.

Lucy is a very playful dog. She likes to chase birds, cats and rats. She always sits on my lap. On top of that she knows how to open up her cage whenever we put her in. Lucy and I always have our breakfast together. She is so fond of eating bread.

By Marielhen

Lucy (Papillon)

Comment Like this photo? 6

Looks like Pancho pulled an all nighter. Pancho is my feisty Papillon. He and my Terrier/Dachshund, Pepe, appear to have partied all night long. It's okay Pancho we all get a little bug eyed at one time or another. Better quit that partying though, it doesn't flatter you.

By Rosie

papillon with mask

Comment Like this photo? 12

Charlie is a 1 and a half year old Papillon. A neighbor said she had too many and had to get rid of one. We picked Charlie. He likes to play, chew shoes, run, and cuddle.

By Becca from Bellflower, CA

Charlie (Papillon)

Comment Like this photo? 8

Trixie is a 2 year old female Papillon. I bought her from a breeder in Kansas when she was 9 weeks old. She LOVES to play, especially fetch sticks and jump over our horse jumps we have set up in our yard. She would make a great agility dog!

Trixie4thjuly.jpg

Debbie Clark - Tallahassee, FL

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Miss Lady WillowBee, she was named after the Willow tree as it was my Mother's favorite tree and I got stung the day I picked her up to start our lives together. She just celebrated her 3rd birthday on Oct. 3rd, 06. Willow is a purebred papillon, otherwise known as "butterfly dogs" as papillon is french for butterfly.

Dog and cat

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes