Parade Float Ideas

Schools, organizations, and businesses often participate in parades for homecoming and holidays. Part of the fun and sometimes the stress is coming up with an idea for your float. This is a guide about parade float ideas.

Two heart shaped red balloons in a blue sky with clouds.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Whether designing for a small scale school project or a community parade, there are many excellent ideas you can incorporate into making a Valentine's Day float. This is a guide about Valentine's Day float ideas.

Cub Scout

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Cub Scouts' Christmas parade float ideas. Children's organizations, such as the Cub Scouts, often participate in local Christmas parades.

Here is a tip for creating a great skirt for your holiday parade float! Holiday parades are a source of great excitement for children and adults, not to mention a great frugal way to advertise for your business. This tip will make it look quite professional. This parade float skirt design will work with any wagon/trailer, flat bed or with sides.

Your first step will be to secure chicken wire to the float in the fashion of a skirt; like you would a party table skirt. If your trailer has a wood floor, you can use a good nail or staple; if it is metal, pull out the wire or zip ties. Be sure the tires of the wagon/trailer will not rub the wire and recheck it once the skirt is finished. If you find it is rubbing, fix some 2x4 wood at the top of the tire well to keep the skirt away from the tire.

Stage two involves colored paper napkins, and lots of crumpled newspaper to create a pom-pom. Unfold each colored paper napkin and place, in its center, a wad of crumpled newspaper that is slightly bigger than the holes on your chicken wire. You will then keep the wad of newspaper in the napkin by twisting the napkin up, like you are making paper ghosts! This effect is achieved by placing the napkin center in your palm, and the wad in the center of that, and closing your fingers around the wad to make a "flower" shape, then twisting the neck of the flower and securing with clear tape. Your "pom-pom" can now be attached to the skirt.

Stage three is setting the pom-pom into the skirt. Take the pom-pom by the bulb (the wad of newspaper part) and push it gently into the desired hole of the front of chicken wire. Once you have completed several pom-poms and placed them in the holes of the wire, you will see the overall effect! You will have a fluffy skirt for your float that can be lightly spray painted if needed, and be used over and again, if removed and stored well.

By dedeswrkshop from Macon, MO

We are going to be in our town's Sweet Corn festival parade. We are a construction company (Redcliff Construction) and the theme is corn. Please help!

I would just simply buy a lot of corn and create structures and arches with it. YOu could also buy big styrofoam and posterboard and make a giant corn on the cob. You can also just use a bunch of green, yellow in your float to represent corn colours

Our city is having a holiday parade and the theme is Trains. We are looking for any simple ways to turn our company van into a train. I won't have a lot of volunteers to help me transform the van, so it needs to be easy. Thank you very much.

if you or anyone in your group has any artistic ability, you could stick white paper on the van and draw the outline of a cool old steamer locomotive on it http://www.hist  iteimages/R9.JPG

if not, you could spare $100 or so, you could have the picture i linked to, or any you like, printed at the local Staples and then glue/stick the banner to the side of the van. I guess you would want two banners, one for each side

We have a 4-H group and are looking for ideas for our float for the parade.

Definitely decorating it and dressing like pilgrims on one end but also like modern people. YOu could have a pilgrim outfit, but at some point during the float, rip all those clothes off and underneath you are dressed like in space suits.

or you could be in a horse and buggy but using a tablet and cellphone, thus really subverting the paradigm of time.

We have a ski boat we will be entering in a 4th of July boat parade this summer. The parade theme this year is "Our Children". Any great decorating ideas?

A CHildren of the World theme might be nice, with lots of children in different traditional dress, like the Disney theme park. If you can't have children or costumes, then cool cut outs.

I want to build a flatbed float with the theme heroes and villains to represent a hospital.

For a hospital? Any way you can make the heroes doctors and nurses? The villains could be illnesses or germs, if you could figure out a way to represent them.

We are a conservation club and need a float idea. Please help!

Wow...here's a few off the top of my head.

1. How about using TOTALLY RECYCLED materials to make some sculptures of either people, animals, local buildings, etc? It would take some effort and maybe you can get some artistic teenagers or an art club involved if you have the time, but it could really be pretty cool!

2. What about sending out notices that you will be COLLECTING some sort of recyclables (aluminum cans can be cashed in for your organization, or even the attendees used books..as one of our local groups do to recycle) at the parade float along the way? Then YOU will recycle them at the end of the parade. That will get your community directly involved with you and even look for your float!

3. Of course if you could create a beautiful woodland scene with scrubs (maybe a local nursery will loan you some potted plants and maybe a few animal lawn statues(?) if you add their name as a donor on the float) to show WHAT COULD BE when we conserve our natural resources...that might be thought provoking...Make a sign explaining that "this is what COULD be" when we care about our earth.

4.Lastly, you could always either have some brave and outgoing person or have a contest locally (ask your local paper, TV and/or radio station to help you promote it) have people send in their idea of MOTHER NATURE...where folks can dress up and email or send in photo's dressed up as MOTHER NATURE (and pick on or two or even ALL of them to join you on the float)....OR if it's too late ask all the STAFF and possibly their families (AT LEAST THEIR KIDS!) to dress up as mother nature for the float.

If there is anyway to get flower seeds for your staff to pass out along the route and invite the attendees to plant some flowers where they live, that would be great too and may help feed the local birds, butterflies and bees in the future!

I wish you the best of luck with your float! Wish I could see it!

The theme is Father Marquette. Any ideas for a float?

Well, I guess you have already considered dressing someone up as Father Marquette.

How about placing him and a few "indians" in a canoe, paddling down one of the rivers he traveled on the float? Might even set up that they catch a fake fish or two along the way just to stay fun for the float actors...

We are a bowling alley with a strong group of youths who will be walking in parade with us. Our theme is Blue Jeans and Country Dreams. We have a flatbed trailer approximately 25' long. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. We want to incorporate the dreams of bowling a 300 perfect game plus the kids will be wearing blue jeans and their league shirts handing out free game certificates and of course candy.

OOOUUUU...Sounds FUN!!

That is a good dream! I bowled a 290 once and will remember it forever!!

How about making an oversized bed with sleeping figure (or giant paper mache PIN with a sleeping face on it) with a sign that SAYS DREAMING OF A PERFECT SCORE above it's head. You could hang some pins out on springs all over the float/bed (like they were hit with a bowling ball) too...

My alternative idea would be to replicate a bowling lane and have someone look like they are actually bowling on it (going through the motions, perhaps with a dark balloon but NOT really letting go of the ball) with the kids hidden or swatting down on the other end of the 'lane' holding one pin each. When the bowler LETS go of their imaginary ball the pin kids either jump up with their pins in the air or throw them up in the air and catch them from down on the float - OR have the pin kids throw CANDY out to the parade attendees at that time! Have the STRIKE SOUND piped in somewhere too when they do so too!

Let me know what you do! Sounds like a good time!

I work at a real estate office and we are going to be in a local festival parade. We can't come up with a theme. Please help! Our company s called Century 21 New Heritage.

Well I would think HOME SWEET HOME, Home is where the HEART IS, The Three Pigs or other HOME based references would be great for business and fun too!

Or if you have the time and talents you can even mirror the characters from the wizard of Oz, including Dorothy, tin man, scarecrow, lion and wizard (with a small hot air balloon, small house and of course Toto?)and make a sign that says "There's no place like HOME" Using kids as the stars could really be cute too!!

Enjoy your Day!

I own a small grocery store and we're having a town celebration and I need a idea for a float entry. The name of my store is Bonnie's Hometown Grocery and I also have a greenhouse called Bonnie's Bloomers. I would like to try to tie it in with some sort of song because I think a parade needs fun music. Any ideas?

Ouuu...Sounds like FUN!

If you can choose any float theme How about "My Bonnie lies over the Ocean" and have a waterfall/water theme with your lovely plants surrounding it"?

The song is know by most people, catchy and you can invite the spectators to sing along, swaying with the music..and it reminds them WHO is hosting the float!

I love the name Bonnie's Bloomers too... another idea could be an oversized pot of Flowers/plants in the center of the float in a giant pair of bloomers. Having cute kids in oversized (and stuffed) bloomers would be especially memorable too!

Most of all... Have fun!

I am looking for ideas for a parade float to commemorate our high school's 50th birthday. Any ideas for simple, cheap, and attractive?

Our high school boys just won the state championship and we are having a parade for them. What would be an easy quick way to decorate the float? The parade is on Monday.

I work with kids and I need a float idea for a parade that is coming up. The theme of the parade is Cavoilcade's 58 and Oil's Great.

By Brandi from Groves, TX

Perhaps you could borrow or make historical hats: derbies, top hats, etc. If police and fire depts have old-fashioned hats, that would be cool! I can't remember the exact title, but there's a really good Dr Seuss book about the hats of Bartholomew Huggins (I think) that would be fun.

We are having our annual Christmas parade and the theme is based on the lake where we live. The theme is Lake Cumberland Christmas. We have a bass boat and truck we want to incorporate into the parade, but are stuck on what to do. Can someone help? Thank you so much!

By Heather M

We made a pirate ship out of a fishing boat on a trailer. We used wide black cloth from home depot meant for blocking weeds under garden dirt. then got some float suppies and made sparkling waves on the side. Painted pvc pipe brown and made masts. had a pirate ship steering wheel, used more black cloth for tied up sails. put kids in as captain hook, peter pan, wendy , mermaids etc. You can figure anyway to tie it in, instead of "Pirates of the Caribbean" it could be "pirates of the ....." "sailing over ...." or "....is our never, never land"

I am looking for float ideas for a veterinary practice, the theme is " All I want For Christmas". Thank you.

By E.F

Picture this: The cardboard or wood front of a house,(painted to look like the front of a house,) yellowish, warm windows, with a dad, mom, and girl, and boy out front of the house, walking toward the entrance of the house. Show some picket fence, at least on one side, if not two sides.

The girl cutout is holding a kitten/or puppy cutout, and the boy has a puppy/or dog on a leash, cutout. Mom/Dad could be holding the kitten/puppy/dog/cat, bunny, also, entering the warm, inviting house with the picket fence. Or, they could be shown entering an apartment, etc.,

Any ideas for a parade float for a veterinary hospital with the theme "Honoring Those Who Serve"? Thanks.

By ValNR from NY

Perhaps you could somehow incorporate the idea of K9s? I used to "adopt" deployed soldiers, and I know they had dogs with them.

I am looking for ideas for a small town parade float with the theme "Old Values New Ideas" for a veterinarian clinic.

By michael72501 from WY

Hi Michael,

Great Idea! I have worked for a Large/Small animal practice for over 27 years. We would have an open house every year. But, for a float, I would suggest using live animals, a surgery table and of course have your Doctors on it also. Display all the services your hospital provides and maybe even offer a free rabies vaccine (new clients only) as rabies is one of the cheapest vaccines your hospital buys. Be in scrubs/lab coats. Pass out candy to the children. I would use any advertising you have from your vendors ie: for frontline, advantage and of course any foods you sell at your practice. Use all the "free stuff" that they give you and pass them out. Are you a full service hospital? Make poster boards that display any of the services you provide.

Decorate it in the colors of your practice and don't forget to put your hospital's mission statement on the float also. Good luck

I am building a float for a small town Christmas parade. I need ideas on what to use in my float. The theme of the parade is, "Keep Christ in Christmas".

By Heather from Atlanta, TX

You could do a complete Nativity scene, and please don't put Christmas trees full of lights on the same float, it sends mixed messages.

Load More