Paying Child Support

My husband and I pay child support for our 2 kids who family has. He just got on SSI and I still work. Do I still have to pay child support since he receives SSI and family has guardianship of them?

I am sure you will still have to pay child support but you may be able to get it reduced since SSI may not be included in your available income. Only a court order can change this and you will most likely need an attorney to get this done.

Most people who respond to your question will probably state that since these children are your responsibility you should continue to pay whatever support was ordered. Maybe you can still pay that amount - maybe not - only you and your husband can decide what steps to take.

Only the judge can determine, stop or start child support. But, I can tell you from a coworkers experience, just don't quit paying it--the law can serve you for it-also, I know of a person who had their SSI garnished for past child support. So, pay it until the court tells you, in writing otherwise.

These are your children. You have to support them as best you can. Only the court can reduce the support if they agree with you that circumstances have changed.

I know that some Social Security benefits can be garnished for different reasons but SSI cannot. Here is a quote from SS web site:

If you receive SSI, it cannot be taken to pay even child support, student loan payments, or unpaid taxes.

Many people confuse SSI and SSDI and these are entirely different programs. SSDI is based on a persons work credits and can be garnished but SSI can be awarded without work credits and cannot be garnished.

Here is a site that explains the difference:

http://www.disa  om/page5-13.html

The basic answer to your question is still the same. Your support payment can only be changed by the court and your current income will be taken into consideration but may or may not include your husband's SSI. Your wages may be garnished but SSI benefits cannot.

if you don't want these children you should relinquish all rights to them and let their relatives or others adopt them outright. then your financial obligations will cease.