Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

How do you get a permanent marker stain out of clothes?

Lorraine

Answers:

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Rubbing alcohol worked awesome. We got it out of blue pants. (12/25/2008)

By Jordan

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I bought a huge, beautiful bright pink and white print cotton scarf and discovered marker ink on a large portion of it. Before investing in acetone nail polish remover that I might never use again, I used my go-to cleanser, Tide. Using gentle effort, the ink came out of a small test area. It has since been soaking in a basin with Tide for three hours. Checking it, almost all of the ink is gone. In the remaining areas, I put some Tide directly on and left it to sit. Thirty minutes later, those marks have significantly lightened. The entire scarf is back in the basin where I'll leave it until all marks are gone. Thanks very much to everyone for your contributions to this site! I'll keep the suggestions nearby. (01/04/2009)

By Annie

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I got purple Sharpie permanent marker on my white fleece North Face jacket, and the use of acetone aka nail polish remover worked. Thanks!

P.S. I would suggest using non-colored acetone if possible. Not sure if this makes any difference but just to be on the safe side. (01/05/2009)

By Holly

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Thank God for Mr. Clean multi surface cleaner. So my daughter got a hold of blue permanent marker. Drew all over her stroller. Well, I soaked it in soap and water for about 1/2 an hour and nothing. I didn't expect much, so I went on the internet and found this website. I tried everything.

The first thing I tried was hairspray. That didn't work. Then I tried rubbing alcohol. That didn't work. Then I tried the nail polish remover. Again no luck. I thought I was going to have to buy a new stroller. Then I remembered something from when my daughter got a hold of a pen once and colored all over my couch.

I used Mr.Clean multi surface cleaner and it worked like magic on my couch with pen. It came off super easy. So I tried it. I sprayed tons of the all purpose cleaner all over the stroller and I let it sit 25 minutes. Literally I timed it. Then I took a tooth brush and scrubbed it a little. Then I sprayed some more. Let it sit another 25 minutes literally again. And scrubbed it, the second time I scrubbed it the color started to fade. But it still wasn't nearly close to gone. So I tried it again, soaked it, scrubbed it and it eased up a little more. I probably did it a total of 7 times. And the stain is completely gone. Nothing left at all. So if you tried everything and it didn't work, don't give up, try Mr. Clean! (01/09/2009)

By Bobchickawowwow

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I had a six inch streak of Permanent Red Sharpie 1/8" wide, on a new pair of blue jeans. Has been setting in the clothes hamper for the last four days. I took a folded paper towel, placed it underneath the fabric, then sprayed the streak with SPOT SHOT. Took a clean white old rag, rubbed and blotted it in all directions. I did this twice.
After the 2nd application (in less than 3 minutes) the stain was gone. (01/17/2009)

By Jeff E

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Just a few hours ago I accidentally left a permanent marker in an apron from work and it smeared all over the dryer. Panicked, I Googled something about permanent markers and dryers. After reading some advice regarding my dilemma, I decided to use the Dawn Power Dissolver. It was amazing! I sprayed it on, waited fifteen minutes, and then used a t-towel to wipe out the dryer before washing it out with a plain towel and warm water. No elbow grease or scrubbing at all. It worked perfectly. I'm going to keep a spare Dawn Power Dissolver around the house from now on just in case. (01/19/2009)

By EMB

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Non-acetone fingernail polish got yellow permanent sharpie out of our Build-a-bear's ballet tutu (gotta love 4 year olds). (01/21/2009)

By Connie

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I used the nail polish remover. It worked great to my surprise. Thanks! (01/26/2009)

By ronda

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I got blue Sharpie on my white sweatshirt. We tried nail polish remover, and it is working. Put a towel or something between the fabric. Then, pour nail polish remover on the stain and blot with paper towel. This is very effective. Thank you so much! (02/06/2009)

By Blue stain

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

Hairspray first, soap and water after. Worked on marker on fabric van seats. Thanks. (02/15/2009)

By AzDad

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I had black marker on my daughter's white new shirt. I tried hairspray and blotted, then soap and water and it worked great! (02/24/2009)

By Christina

Permanent Marker Stains on Clothing

I accidentally washed a corrector pen marker in the washer, and turned lots of stuff blue. I used hairspray, then peroxide, then stain stick and washed them again, and the stains are gone! Thanks guys! (03/03/2009)

By Stefanie1506

Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker from Clothing
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎄