Pickled Beets Recipes

Category Vegetables
Pickled Beets
Pickled beets are easy to make and delicious to eat. What a great way to preserve the excess beets from your garden. This page contains pickled beets recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I love these so much! My mom had these around the house all the time when I was growing up! Yum! Love the tangy taste!

• 5-6 lb. beets (depending on size)
  • 1 cup beet juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • spices to taste, using stick cinnamon

Directions:

Simmer beet juice, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Add beets; boil gently a few minutes. It seems the longer these set, the better they taste.

Servings: varies
Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • pinch salt

Directions

Boil and pour over beets and seal in jars.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 5 cans small beets
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 cups beet juice

Directions:

Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add salt and beet juice. Add beets. Store in refrigerator.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I would like to make simple beet pickles from canned beets.

By Janet from GA

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Hi Janet, This is my sweet pickling mixture. I make it up and keep it in a half-gallon jar, then use it as needed to make my sweet pickles using Kosher Dills or our favorite pickled beets.

1 Quart apple cider vinegar

20 whole all spice berries

5-6 cups sugar ( I use 6 or more)

Place all ingredients in a stainless steel pot and heat to boiling; stirring all the while to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat allow to cool. Keep it in a glass or plastic bottle or jar...no need to refrigerate. I just keep it in the cabinet and use it as needed.

If you need to make instant pickled beets, place beets in a stainless steel pot and add sweet vinegar just to cover. If you don't like it as tart, then add some of the beet juice and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes covered. Remove from heat and allow to cool. You may refrigerate now, or serve immediately. If the beets are sliced, they should be plenty pickled to suit you. Refrigerate all leftovers along with the liquid. You can add more to it just by adding a little more of the prepared sweet vinegar and another can of drained beets. Keep refrigerated until the next pickled beet attack.

One of us will always drink all the leftover beet liquid. Hope this helps. Julia

I make picked beets using canned beets. The sliced ones work best. Slice them yourself if you get the canned whole beets. For a can of beets around 14 oz. or so, use 1/3 cup each of sugar, white vinegar and the drained beet liquid from the can. Discard the rest of the beet liquid. Combine all those 3 ingredients in a small saucepan, add 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves. Heat till sugar melts and add the drained beets. Bring it all to a boil while covered and simmer a minute or two. Shut off the heat and let beets cool down in the liquid--about an hour, then refrigerate. This results in pickled beets tasting very much like the ones sold in jars.

Easy pickled beets

1 (14.5 oz) can small beets (Not the pickled kind)

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 t. ground cinnamon

1/4 t. ground cloves

1/4 onion coarsely chopped

Drain & discard the juice from the beets and place beets in a bowl. In a pan, combine sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves and onion.

Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the mixture over the beets; let cool, then cover and refrigerate for one day before serving. Serve chilled beets.

Makes approximately 2 cups or 4 servings. 160 calories.

For each can of sliced beets, add 1/3 cup brown vinegar and 1/3 cup sweetener. Can also add chopped onions, as much or little as you like, optional. Let set overnite in fridge, drain and eat/

I save the juice from sweet pickles and put the drained canned beets or when I have fresh ones from garden boil them till soft drain cut up and add to pickle juice.