Pinecone Fire Starters as Christmas Gifts

I'm always running low on extra money for gifts, and always watching for things found curbside or that are recyclable and free, especially at Holiday time:

I'm about to warm old candle wax and crayons swirled for exotic color, with cinnamon oil and vanilla added for fragrance. Then I will take the pine cones I find being left to weather beneath pine trees around the malls and forgotten, dip, swirl and sprinkle with glitter and add to a washed mesh grocery bags from fruit, veggies or turkeys. I'll place into old but good painted baskets or wooden containers and add single threads of thin red ribbon woven loosely all through the bundle and around ends, handles, or tops of what I finish with, along with a sprig of rosemary from the lawn care clippings at the same mall where it over-grows by a bank, with their permission of course.

I hope to find an attractive but frugal box of safety matches to tuck into it for their fireplace or outdoor firepit-burning of the lightly waxed scented cones. My notecards tucked in will be made from phone-directory homepressed spring flowers and leaves that say such things as "Hope this leaves you blooming with memories from your warmest holiday ever. Merry Christmas, dear hearts."

By Lynda from Richardson, TX

I wish I were on your Christmas list! (12/05/2007)

By Jean in GA

We to make our own fire starters, but we use (paper) egg cartons and dryer lint and sawdust. Fill the "egg" part of the cartons with dryer lint or sawdust, melt your old saved candle pieces and pour over the lint, sawdust or combo of both. After they dry/set we cut them apart in 2's. Not as pretty, but just as functional! (12/23/2007)

By lavenderdeer

Homemade firestarters made in muffin tins
Homemade Fire Starters
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
Making Pinecone Fire Starters
Making Pine Cone Fire Starters
Pinecone Christmas Ornaments
Making Pinecone Christmas Ornaments
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family