Pitbull Puppy That Bites

I have a 9 week old Pit Bull Terrier named Chaos. She is the sweetest puppy, but the constant biting is starting to build up a wall between us. I also have a Black Lab named Jack, he's 2 and I did not have biting problems with him. Someone please help me, it's pure Chaos in my home.

By gemini504 from Gretna, LA

Answers:

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

My dog likes to nibble (just with me). I keep a spray bottle with plain water in it, and he hates it. He will stop whatever he's doing when he just sees the spray bottle. (06/17/2009)

By mulberry204

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

Your puppy is being a puppy "testing the waters" and also testing you. You need to show who's the boss in a kind way so she'll understand what's appropriate behavior and not become mean or skittish from the lessons. The water idea is good. I don't know if this will work for a Pit Bull or not, but I had a Retriever once who was too "bite playful" and the Vet told me to gently take her by the hands at the base of both ears and quietly, yet sternly, tell her "no". It worked with her and she remained a gentle and not aggressive girl.

As a side note: I might sound crazy, but maybe rename her? Even the sound of how you say her name or she hears her name might be making a big difference? She may not understand the dictionary meaning of her name, but you do and it might be projected to her from you. What I mean is, what if your parents had named you Discord, Turmoil, or Confusion? (06/17/2009)

By Deeli

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

Babies test everything with their mouth. Even my grandson, who is teething, is biting his mom and putting everything in his mouth. The best way to correct the behavior is to redirect. Don't roughhouse with the puppy and when she starts to mouth you, slip a chew toy into place instead. If she ignores the toy and tries to chew on you again, stand up and turn or walk away. Do not try to be overbearing, as that can backfire, but withdrawing your attention is the last thing she wants, and is strong punishment for a people oriented dog like a pit. You should start clicker training immediately, you will be surprised how fast a little puppy can learn with safe, fun motivation. (06/17/2009)

By Chiismychi

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

Contact Cesar Milan on the net. He is aces in dog behavior-pit bulls. He's your man.

Pamela (06/17/2009)

By PamelaW

Black and white Pitbull puppy.
Training a Pitbull to Not Bite
House Training a Pitbull
House Training a Pitbull
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
🎉
🎄