Pitbull Puppy That Bites

We have a 10 week old Pit bull puppy. She has a very sweet temper, but she is starting to bite all the time. How can we train her not to bite before she gets bigger and it hurts?

By Keena from Elmore City, OK

Answers:

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

Not that I want to be mean, but I would not keep the dog if it bites. I would be scared to have him around young children. You are the only one that knows for sure. (11/27/2009)

By atinap

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

The original poster is doing the right thing, training the dog now before they are bigger and can do damage. Puppies bite in play, that's normal of any breed, but as an owner you have to teach them appropriate behavior.

At 10 weeks she has no idea biting is bad. Usually puppies learn this from their litter mates or mom, if they bite too hard the other puppy yelps and stops playing. You should do the same, when the puppy bites make a high pitched ouch noise and walk away. Make sure to be clear you are not playing, you need to act upset/hurt. Pit bulls are smart, and they will understand something bad happened and should learn quick.

That said, if you're not able to correct the behavior within the month, you may want to hire a trainer to be sure you nip this habit in the butt. (11/27/2009)

By veda815

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

Pitbulls seem to be very "mouthy." I've been through two of them now. Most importantly is making sure they have chew toys always available to them, even as they age. We've learned to use toys for playtime, especially tug toys and tennis balls, which they chew on as if they were gum! The older of the 2 has learned to be very gentle when she plays because we gave her a firm "NO!" when she'd use her teeth too much and we'd quit playing with her for a time. For those that believe this breed is dangerous, you are wrong. Our pit is very sweet, docile, smart, and fun-loving. (11/27/2009)

By catzilla39

Pitbull Puppy That Bites

It's a 10 week old puppy, whatever breed it is at that age, they nip...it's what they do. I have 2 pit boys; 1 year 3 months, and 1 year. They are 70 and 80 lbs, and I've had them since 3 months and 6 weeks. As long as you express that it's not appropriate to bite by stopping the play for a few minutes, they will learn. My boys still nip me from time to time, but it's real gentle and it doesn't hurt. It seems hard to believe but it's true. (12/02/2009)

By yessy1019

Black and white Pitbull puppy.
Training a Pitbull to Not Bite
House Training a Pitbull
House Training a Pitbull
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Chocolate fondue
Chocolate Fondue Recipes
Chigger on Leaf
Remedies for Chigger Bites
🎉
🎄