Planning a Masquerade Ball

I am throwing a sweet 16 party for next year (July) even though I wanted it this year. I didn't get to planning in time so it's going to have to wait. My mom and I were trying to go all out about the mysteriousness, seduction, and tragedy of a Masquerade. Midnight Masquerade will be the theme.

The main problem we're having is what food to serve. Any suggestions on the mysterious food part? For the invitations, I kind of wanted it to be a scroll sealed with wax. We were going to stamp something into the wax sort of like the Phantom of the Opera. Maybe a moon with a star. I want everyone to be wearing a mask and we can give one to the people that don't come with one.

I sort of wanted it to be semi-formal because I don't want people to go buy a brand new expensive dress or tux. I also kind of wanted to have a murder mystery type thing and the longer it takes for people to find out who the killer is, the more people die. I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to do it because I have a great imagination, but I would still appreciate any suggestions. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Summer from San Antonio, TX