Planning a Princess Theme Party

Princess themed parties are fun for all ages. This is a guide about planning a princess theme party.

July 23, 2009 Flag

princess party cakeIf you're looking for a stunning cake and don't want to purchase specialty pans and dolls, then this is your cake.

1. Use your preferred boxed cake mix and mix according to directions.

2. Pour the cake batter into a greased/sprayed large glass/Pyrex bowl that has a dome shape to it. I used a glass 2 quart measuring bowl (Pampered Chef).

3. Bake according to package directions.

4. Allow cake to cool in the bowl.

5. Once cool, invert onto the the plate that you'll be serving the cake on. (I used a white serving plate) Use a serrated knife to shape the cake into a skirt shape.

6. Find or borrow a spare Barbie doll (or something similar) and remove her legs. Use a scrap of fabric to create the bodice of the dress. I used Fabri-Tac to hold everything together. Style hair into desired fashion.

7. Spread a very thin layer of icing over entire cake.

8. Use rolled white fondant for the skirt. (I used Wilton, 1 pound box). Roll the fondant into a thin layer that can be draped over the cake. Trim excess and create the folds of skirt with fondant.

9. Gently press doll into the top of the cake.

10. Using royal icing, decorate around the waist of doll, the skirt and around the cake plate, if desired.

This can be made the night before the party and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.

By April from Albany, GA

I have to hand it to you, that's the best, simplest, most frugal cake and the most spectacular I have seen for a young girls birthday cake, very very well done! Carol UK

That is beautiful. Thank you.

You did a lovely job. Great idea!

Even a more simple way, is to use a bundt pan after it's cool put the cake on a plate stand the doll in the middle and decorate. you may have to trim the bottom of the cake so it sits flat on the plate.

July 31, 2010 Flag

I am planning a 4 yr old birthday party for a girl; the theme is princess. Any ideas?

By Niecy from Chicago, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Having a 4 year old grand-daughter whose whole world is "Princess", pink and purple are the color choices to use. If she has a lot of dress-up dresses, you can have the girls dress up in those. Making the felt crowns with felt jewels is an easy and inexpensive craft/party favor idea. Jewelry can be made out of Fruit Loops/Life Savers and ribbon. Make your own "Pin the crown (or wand) on the Princess" game. I hope some of these ideas help you and your daughter!

Best Answer

Are you having some other little girls as guests? Have them dress in their finest gowns, and when they arrive they could all get tiny crowns. I think you can get little tiaras at the dollar store, boas maybe, lovely "jewel" necklaces. Maybe they do a craft and make a treasure chest with silver and gold stickers and stick on jewels or make themselves lovely jewel necklaces with shiny plastic beads. The birthday girl could have a lovely "velvet" cape to make her a little special. Check out thrift stores for something that might work or even a Halloween costume.

I think princesses would like to have a special lunch with tiny sandwiches (even if they are peanut butter and jelly) cut into fancy shapes like squares, diamonds, etc. I think princesses like strawberries dipped in chocolate! And serve their juice in wine goblets with little swords with a cherry on it, or little umbrellas.

I used to decorate for parties with used wedding decorations, bells, doves, streamers. You might find something like this in a thrift store. Definitely you would want pink and purple streamers if you could get them.

Using inexpensive feather boas as decorations would be super cute! Also rhinestones on the cake, laid on the table (sort of like confetti), or even little bowls of them everywhere would fit the theme. Also, I believe you can find chandelier wall stickies at A wand with a thank you note attached with cute ribbon would be sweet in lieu of treat bags.

Does Burger King still have those paper crowns for kids? I used one for "King Herod" one Christmas pageant and spray painted it and used plastic rhinestones, because those are adjustable and paper and very little investment and BK loves the promotion! Pink lemonade, pink cupcakes, teeny-tiny sandwiches. What time should I be there?

July 25, 2008 Flag

For my daughter's first birthday, I decorated her highchair with bright pink velour fabric and I bought some pink "tutu" fabric and ribbon and layered the fabric to look like a princess's throne. Her birthday was decorated as Strawberry Shortcake Princess. The whole party was so cute.

By Selena from Big Stone Gap, VA

Baby in decorated high chair

The highchair decoration was brilliant..very ceative!! Great job! Other Mom's would love to know about this very creative and cheap way to make a baby's first birrthday different. It adds that special touch. And it could be used for both girls and boys. The colors would be the only change on the back cover...Maybe the tray covering could be made with the same velour material, creating that " royal effect".

That was a great way to spice up the highchair for a baby's birthday. The picture looked beautiful! That was a grat way to create beautiful memories for your daughter and I'm sure the little doll will appreciate it for the rest of her life. I have a six month old grandaughter and I'm going to foward this to my daughter-in-law. I'm sure she will use the idea. I hope you intend to pass this on to other family and friends. It is a terrific way to add color to a plain ole' highchair, especially for pictures. Good job, Mommy! Thanks for the docorating tip!

This was a great decorating idea! I'm sure it will give

other parents an idea that they can use for their children's parties.

Great idea of decorating the high chair. Other themes could also be used. Along with that wonderful smile comes a very smart little cookie!

March 18, 2010 Flag

Any ideas on a princess party? You can include decor, games, food, etc. Thank you.

By Crystal

When my daughter turned five, I did a princess tea party. I went to Dollar store and got each girl a tea cup w/saucer. (use punch) I also purchased a plastic crown for each girl. I don't like spending money on things I know they will break or lose, so I purchased a small inexpensive flowering plant as a take home goody. I was shocked to see how excited the girls were when I told them to pick out the one they wanted. I should say, they make great center piece for party! We did homemade games like place the jewel on the crown,( just like pin the tail on donkey) simple sandwhiches and veggie sticks for lunch. Just keep it short and sweet!

Hi there

I did one of these with my daughter a few years ago I purchased poster board and made each girl a cone shaped hat. then they got to decorate it with tuile, (to make that flowing tassel thing fromthe top) and dollar store gems, glitter etc. You could cut out paper crowns and do the same thing. Craft foam works well for the crowns. this was the "craft" component of the party.

I also got a plain white paper table cloth and traced all the Disney Princesses from a colouring book -- one at each person's place at the table. They could colour this while they were sitting there (ie waiting for luncheon).

I made a Snow White cake (using a bowl and half a Barbie doll). Party favours are fun and sometimes to can get tiarras for each girl as well. But not necessary if you make the hats.

I think we had fancy sandwiches (just cut the crusts off your favourite ones) and we had pretty punch in tea cups. I think I got nice cups from my local thrift store, washed them and then let each girl take their cup home after I filled them with candy. have fun!

Holidays and Parties Parties PlanningApril 5, 2013
Museum Themed Party
Throwing Museum Themed Party
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Princess Amidala (Star Wars) Costume
little girl dressed as a princess
Making a Princess Costume
little girl dancing on bed in princess room
Color Advice for a Princess Room