Plastic Window Covering

Where can I find plastic window kits? I want a roll and the plastic strips that make it removable.

Andre

Answers:

Plastic Window Covering

I think what you are referring to is a product I got from 3M Co. It was a roll of magnetic vinyl about 1 inch wide with adhesive on one side. I was going to make my own storm windows by sticking a length of tape to the wood frame and stick another lenght to the plastic window. Then all I had to do is join the two magnetic sides to one another and separate the windows in the spring. However, I never got to the project and last year I tossed the magnetic tape. (12/11/2008)

By Harry

Plastic Window Covering

I bought mine at Home Depot last year. Be warned they were tucked away in a corner and the sales guy had no idea what I was talking about until I found them. They didn't have any at another HD I went to. (12/11/2008)

By Leanne

Plastic Window Covering

If you have a "Big Lots" store near you they sell the kits at a price cheaper than elsewhere. Home Depot & most hardware stores also sell the kits. But all that's in the kits is a piece of shrink wrap plastic (it shrinks with a blow dryer or a heat gun) & a roll of double-stick tape.

The problem is you'll have to buy a new kit each year. If you want a kit that will stand the test of time, what I did was go to Walmart & in their fabric department (with the plastic tablecloth fabric) they sell different thickness of sturdy clear plastic by the yard (from $1.99 - $4.99 depending of the thickness) I bought some for around $2.99 per yard & I bought double-stick carpet tape to hang it with, & because I want to keep my plastic up for years I also used tiny nails to nail on thin pieces of wood (lath) over the strips of tape, the kind they use to make lattice with (you get 50 each of 4 foot pieces for $10) or you can buy them individually.

These thin strips of wood keep the plastic from being blown down by a windstorm... My windows turned out WONDERFULLY! I use MUCH LESS heat in that room now & the windows aren't always dripping water on the floor! The plastic I used (though it's NOT shrink-wrap) is super strong & could be taken down & used year after year. BTW, it's the U.V. rays that break down the plastic so a south facing window's plastic won't last as long as a north facing one. I also stained the wood lath to match my house, this way it won't absorb water.

* If your Walmart doesn't sell fabric, you can also buy this plastic at any fabric store.

---> In our area if you are a low income home owner the power company will put this up on your home or mobile home for free & do other power saving repairs. (12/11/2008)

By Cyinda

Plastic Window Covering

We used the Duck brand from Wal-Mart on our bay window. The roll I bought had enough in for us to use for a couple of years. After it was up and shrunken, it was clear, just like a window pane. Now we don't freeze when we sit in front of the window anymore. Definitely worth my $10.00! (12/12/2008)

By mjr

Plastic Window Covering

I got the film, tape, and alcohol wipes for $4 at Walmart for our large picture window. It has made a HUGE difference! (12/12/2008)

By sjbgram

Plastic Window Covering

At our old home, we used to use the plastic shrink film found at hardware stores. One year we tried a product think it was called "Seal n Peal" It was applied to the cracks of the windows with a caulk gun, and worked like a charm. In the spring, just peal all of the caulk off and your are done! I am unsure of the cost, but it looked a lot nicer than the plastic over the windows. (12/21/2008)

By Jen

Plastic Window Covering
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Roll of Plastic Wrap
Use Winterizing Plastic As Shrink Wrap
Window Sheers
Changing the Color of Curtains
🎉
🎄