Changing the Color of Curtains

This is a guide about changing the color of curtains. When your window covering is not the right color, you may be able to dye them or add a liner to get the shade you want. This is a guide about changing the color of curtains.

How can I change the color of sheer panels from ivory to white?

By Marilyn

Answers

Best Answer

If they are colourfast, you can't. Sheers are not expensive. If you want white ones, buy them, and save these for the future or sell them at a yard sale. Fooling around with synthetic materials to change colours is just a recipe for ruining them, in my opinion.

I have an old set of curtains that are quite nice and thick that I'd like to dye to a darker shade. Does anyone have any tips or words of caution before I begin?

Megan from Durham, NC

Answers

Megan, Are they curtains or drapes? If they are the thinner smaller curtain, they may dye alright, but I would think twice about dying drapes, as they are so large and made of stuff that might not take dye well. But I have bought cheap shower curtains to put on the back of drapes to keep the heat and cold out. You could do that with a very dark shower curtain, most of the time they can be found at the $ store. You will need 2, one for each panel. I smoothed the drapes faced down, on the floor and layed the shower curtain on top and lined them up at the header on top, then just wiped stiched the headers together, tucking it into the pleates some. Then I whip stich them down both sides but leave the bottom free. This will help to darken the room when the drapes are pulled, which is all that you might need. I do this to drapes I buy second hand that are in good shape, but are not insulated, it really helps to keep the heat out in the summer and the cold in the winter. I use clear shower curtains if we need more light in a dark room and darker ones in we need the room to be darker. Of course if you just want to change the color of the curtains, this won't help much. good luck

Wash well first!
If dyable, use double the amount of dye, but be aware that the dye might smudge the wall later on if it isn't totally rinsed out of the curtain.
Haven't you ever worn a dyed something or other, only to find that the dye came off on you?

I tried dyeing polyester curtains that I had gotten at Sears years ago. I washed them thoroughly first. The dye streaked and the curtains looked awful. I should have just left them the cream color and added ribbon banding to the hem and edges. It would have changed the look of the curtain and I probably would have been happy with that. Just my .02 cents...

I am wanting to do the same thing. I am curious to know if you tried it and how it turned out. What kind of dye did you use?

I have beige linen look draperies and want to change them to white. How can I do this?

Answers

Have you considered using bleach? Perhaps undo a bit of hem (top or bottom) to do a test?

Don't think this can be done, sorry

Buy strong bleach and soak for few hours

How can I dye thick cream colored curtains white?

By DW from Manchester, UK

Answers

You can probably bleach them enough that they would be closer to white. Or else if you can find Rit dye products over there, look for some Rit color remover.

Anonymous

Depending on the fabric it might not be possible. You could try using bleach but do some homework first because some fabrics will simply melt or get holes in them from the bleach. I doubt very much rit dye remover will work but it's at least worth a try.

How can I change the colour for sun block curtains?