Plastic Zipper Won't Work

I left a jacket soaking for too long and now the zipper won't work. The zipper goes up and down smoothly, but the teeth don't lock together at all. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? The zipper is not metal, it's plastic.

miz_macoo from Albany, Western Australia

Answers:

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

I am not sure this will help but I had a friend who would take a bar of soap and run it up and down her plastic zippers when they didn't work. It always seemed to work for her. Its worth a try. (07/08/2006)

By MollieB55

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

I don't think soaking the jacket would cause it but your teeth may have become worn and wont mesh well anymore. I have fixed this problem in the past by using a pair of pliers to squeeze the zipper pull on either side where the teeth run through it. Don't apply too much pressure at first as you may close it too much to allow the pull to slide. It may take a few tries to get it work, but if worn teeth are the problem this should fix it at least for several wearings. (07/08/2006)

By Donna6397

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

Thanks for the feedback guys. The reason I thought it was soaking it too long was because the zipper workd perfectly until I soaked it. I'll try the soap trick first and if that doesn't work I'll try the pliers. (07/09/2006)

By miz_macoo

Purple plastic zipper in yellow fabric
Plastic Zipper Won't Work
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
zipper
Repairing a Zipper That Separates
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
🎉
🎄