Zipper Plastic Bottle Container

Category Containers
Make a cute, functional container from a recycled plastic bottle and a zipper. This is a guide about making a zipper plastic bottle container.

Turn two pop bottles into a zippered container.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours

Instructions:

1. Measure up from the bottom of bottles about 2 1/2 inches and put masking tape around each. <-- Zippered_Bottle_Container_1 -->

2. Poke a hole in the bottle w/ knife or scissors, then use the hole as a starting point to cut the top off each bottle.

3. Make about 4 cuts down to the masking tape around the bottle, then cut each segment off close to the tape. This makes it much easier to get right up next to the tape and make a straight edge around the bottles.

4. With clothes pins holding it in place, use the measuring tape to mark off every 1/2 inch around the masking tape. Place your marks approx. 1/4 inch from rim of the bottle.

5. Roll up a hand towel and put the end of it into the bottle so you will have something to safely push against with your pin. Poke holes in the places you have marked.

6. Do the same with the other bottle.

7. Thread your needle with about 24 inches of 6-strand embroidery floss. Knot one end and leave a tail of about 3 inches with the other end.

8. With the zipper closed, wrap it around the edge of one bottle. Use pieces of masking tape to hold it in place as you wrap.

9. Starting on the inside, sew it all the way around the bottle using the holes. Zipper teeth should be about even with edge of bottle.

10. When you reach the end, tie it off with the remaining floss. I split the remaining end of the floss in half (3 strands each) in order to have two pieces to tie off with. Trim excess.

11. Open the zipper and sew on the other prepared bottle the same way. Sew down the bound end of the zipper over the raw end to form a "stopping point" for the zipper.

12. Pull off any visible masking tape.

I use my container for storing buttons.

Source: This is my version of the idea which I found on Disney's Family Fun website. They used green bottles and added google-eyes on top to make it look like a frog. Lots of possibilities with this craft.

By Gloria from Western, NY

What a neat and very different idea! Love it!

Really like this idea. Seems like you could make a taller one to hold pens and pencils. Being see through, makes great for storage in a craft room.

Thanks Alicia, thanks Lewis. When I see these cool ideas online, I just have to try them to see how difficult they are. Ha. I never believe them when they say, "this is so easy!" This one was more time-consuming than difficult--sewing the zipper on, but not a real big deal. The cool outcome is worth the effort.

I like the idea of making a taller one.