Potty Training a Puppy

I just adopted a 4 month old Lab retriever who used to live outdoors in a yard. I'm having a very hard time house breaking him. He walks 3 times a day after every meal and goes potty and gets a treat every time. While we're at home he has a special place outside on the balcony where he's supposed to go.

My problem is he will only go in the house (and it's amazing the amount of pee and poo this dog has in him) and refuses to do it outside. I once fed him and put him out and he held it in for 6 hours crying the whole time and when I finally gave up and decided to take him for a walk he ran in and did it in the house.

I've scrubbed the floors with vinegar and bleach and have tried piddle pads and newspapers with his pee on it and all of that so he'd go outside. I don't know how he got it that he can do it indoors, but not out. Please help. I love this dog, but I can't handle him peeing and pooing all over my house.

By Melody from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Potty Training a Puppy

It takes time for them to get the idea, put him on a reg. feeding schedule, remove food after each meal, invest in a crate, until he gets the idea, you need to go out with him each and every time, with high praise when he accomplishes his 'duty'. It will take approx 2-4 weeks for this to work, maybe a bit longer, patience, patience, patience. (02/23/2011)

By mrs.flowerpot

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄